Smoking is a no for me. My night driver smokes in the mornings i have to wait for him at times. The strong smell puts me off. I did not complain i just left rubbish all over the cab. When he moaned i just pointed you need to stop smoking and i will clean up after myself. The truck is now spotless.

CLOVER50:
… but is it really that much of a challenge to come into a cab that has been smoked in before?.

Yes! Its ruddy horrible if someone has been smoking in the cab and not great if someone has smoked then jumped in the cab straight after.

Cab stinks, second drivers clothes starts to smell, its very hard to get rid of even with loads of air freshener. It keeps coming back. Assuming they don’t put burn holes in the seat or similar.

If the unit is used for smelly jobs, then its probably a large part of what the unit does day in day out and theres a high chance everyone at the company will be doing the same so becomes immune just like smokers become immune to the smell of cigs.

Simple, smoke away from the cab and ideally stay out of it for mins to let the worst smell drift. If they get wet outside, oh didums, no sympathy.

This is based on day / night driver trucks not tramping.

As much as I don’t like the cab to smell like an ash tray, as long as the previous driver has made an effort to air the cab and tidy up any mess, I don’t mind too much.
I have more of an issue with the drivers who vape in the truck though. The fumes off those things make a right mess of the windscreen. It’s like a fine film of oil has been sprayed over the glass. Can’t just be wiped clean, it needs done properly with glass cleaner before I go out on the road with it. Possibly just my imagination, but even the steering wheel seems to have a horrible damp feel to it when someone has been vaping in the cab. What must those vapes be doing to their lungs if that’s the mess it leaves on the windscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trevHCS:

CLOVER50:
… but is it really that much of a challenge to come into a cab that has been smoked in before?.

Yes! Its ruddy horrible if someone has been smoking in the cab and not great if someone has smoked then jumped in the cab straight after.

Cab stinks, second drivers clothes starts to smell, its very hard to get rid of even with loads of air freshener. It keeps coming back. Assuming they don’t put burn holes in the seat or similar.

If the unit is used for smelly jobs, then its probably a large part of what the unit does day in day out and theres a high chance everyone at the company will be doing the same so becomes immune just like smokers become immune to the smell of cigs.

Simple, smoke away from the cab and ideally stay out of it for mins to let the worst smell drift. If they get wet outside, oh didums, no sympathy.

This is based on day / night driver trucks not tramping.

I respect your opinion but I still think they are small crosses to bear. By the way I do think too that smokers should try smoke with the window down to lessen the effects. I don’t believe that second drivers clothes start to smell. Let the windows down for 10-15 minutes and drive on. I think there’s a lot of drama being made about very little.

CLOVER50:
I respect your opinion but I still think they are small crosses to bear. By the way I do think too that smokers should try smoke with the window down to lessen the effects. I don’t believe that second drivers clothes start to smell. Let the windows down for 10-15 minutes and drive on. I think there’s a lot of drama being made about very little.

Spoken like a true smoker.
It does not matter a ■■■■ if you’ve had the window down for the whole 9 hours you drive it,.a non smoker will still smell it,.as well as having the stink on his hands off the wheel.
I love a few pints, but I would have more manners, respect,.and social awareness than to ■■■■ all over your cab, and think it acceptable to leave it for you to drive. :bulb:

Anyhow, just like you with your open windows and air freshener, if I dried it out you wouldn’t smell it.

I don’t smoke and never have so i aint some poacher turned gamekeeper/preacher.

Those who smoke lose a great proportion of their sense of smell, certainly compared to non smokers, and will have little idea of the following.
Getting into a cab after the smoker has left, there will be a damp film from sweat and handprints driven deep into the steering wheel and all controls, all windows will have a film of yellow filth on and that same filth will be on every surface especially deep into the roof lining and curtains nearest the driver.

Even if you spent ten minutes washing the steering wheel and switches by the time you’ve driven for half an hour your hands will stink of cig smoke residue and it will have impregnated your hair skin and clothes, if you indvertantly touchhed your hands to your lips the taste is foul…even those who don’t smoke in the cab itself leave these sweat transferred smells on the steering wheel and controls, non smokers can tell if a smoker (not in the cab) have used the vehicle before them it’s just not quite as bad.

Now i have every sympathy with smokers because they are persecuted addicts, many unable to beat the need/urge, many not wanting to either and good luck to them i say, it’s my belief that allowances should be made for them re vehicles with smoking vehicles allocated and smoking and non smoking usage kept strictly apart, within weeks the difference in interiors would be staggering.

The house we live in the wife of the previous owners smoked heavily (it killed her quite gruesomely) it proved impossible to shift the smell until the entire interior of the house was re-painted and any curtain tracks left had been disposed of together with light fittings etc, even window frames held the smell, even now after a complete wet room en suite gut and refit when you have a shower the smell of smoke still returns faintly, some 15 or so years later.

I bet a lot of smokers wonder why their non smoking partners arn’t too keen on some of the more intimate pleasures of life, worth thinking about.

robroy:

CLOVER50:

It does not matter a [zb] if you’ve had the window down for the whole 9 hours you drive it,.a non smoker will still smell it,.as well as having the stink on his hands off the wheel.
I love a few pints, but I would have more manners, respect,.and social awareness than to ■■■■ all over your cab, and think it acceptable to leave it for you to drive. :bulb:

Anyhow, just like you with your open windows and air freshener, if I dried it out you wouldn’t smell it.

I did mention that I had driven trucks for ten years until I was 28 without smoking and so I am aware of the thoughts of non smokers. In those ten years I never had issue with smokers or non smokers, just got on with the job. It is a not a difficult thing to do and yet people appear to find it so difficult in today’s society. I guess the anti smoking zealots have won over the people’s minds. I am glad to have been tolerant in the past even when I wasn’t a smoker. There are much more important things in life than trying to limit people’s freedom to live their own lives in peace.

Try putting on the AC on high - it might be very cold for a while but in most cases it clears the air and smell
I do not know why that works

The smoke gets on everything. Anyone that’s ever been in a house with smokers knows it blackens the wallpaper, gets in fabric, everything.

Let’s face it we know a lot more than we did 30-40 years ago and I think we have made progress.

I’m so glad you can go to the pub now without having to immediately change your clothes on return. Fantastic.

Its not limiting freedom. Its just common sense a shared unit, you need to think of the other person. I need to go to work and keep my workplace tidy.

I’m so glad that I’m the main driver of my truck and it’s rare that it’s used by some one else ,
So I don’t have a cab stinking of horrible smoke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CLOVER50:

robroy:

CLOVER50:

It does not matter a [zb] if you’ve had the window down for the whole 9 hours you drive it,.a non smoker will still smell it,.as well as having the stink on his hands off the wheel.

I did mention that I had driven trucks for ten years until I was 28 without smoking and so I am aware of the thoughts of non smokers. In those ten years I never had issue with smokers or non smokers, just got on with the job. It is a not a difficult thing to do and yet people appear to find it so difficult in today’s society. I guess the anti smoking zealots have won over the people’s minds. I am glad to have been tolerant in the past even when I wasn’t a smoker. There are much more important things in life than trying to limit people’s freedom to live their own lives in peace.

So obviously you didn’t find it so ■■■■ annoying that you wanted to rip off the ■■■■ s head who smoked in ‘your’ truck, so it appears that you and me are very different in that respect.
In my case it’s got the far end of ■■■■ all to do with society, and/or any zealot, anti smoking or otherwise getting into my mind, I’m capable of making up my own mind and decisions about things.

I also have the right and the freedom as you put it, to expect to work in an environment that I do not find completely obnoxious, I also expect the same amount of respect in return,.that I give to other people.

If that sounds dramatic and over the top mountain out of mole hill type stuff to you, I don’t give a ■■■■ quite frankly, it’s just the way I am. :neutral_face:

When i get all high and mighty and get ready to ■■■■■ that the lorry stinks of smoke, i remember i was a heavy smoker years ago and i couldn’t go half a hour without a roll up on the go, so i spray some air freshener about and put up with it. Its funny when you are a smoker it barely smells, but after you given up you realize how bad it stinks. But no i would never report someone for it.

Can you really tell thogh? On the rare occasions when I smoke the window is oopen so all the smoke goes out pretty much straight away as I also exhale out the window, it takes me 2-3 mins to smoke one. Then I leave it open for 5-10 mins. I don’t smoke for the last 1 hour on my shift, open both windows for the last 15 mins before getting back to the yard. I don’t believe anyone can tell unless they find ash on the floor (which has happened :blush: )

Sometimes I go in at the start of the shift and can immediately smell stale smoke from the guy before me. Much much worse is the smell of sweat after a hot day left by the unwashed fatty from the dayshift but that’s not illegal. About a month ago I almost refused to use a truck it stank so bad. I normally have a strong stomach but boy that thing made me grimace for the first half of my shift - both windows rolled down, took 3 hours to get the stench to become tolerable.

robroy:

CLOVER50:

robroy:

CLOVER50:

So obviously you didn’t find it so [zb] annoying that you wanted to rip off the [zb] s head who smoked in ‘your’ truck, so it appears that you and me are very different in that respect.
In my case it’s got the far end of [zb] all to do with society, and/or any zealot, anti smoking or otherwise getting into my mind, I’m capable of making up my own mind and decisions about things.

I also have the right and the freedom as you put it, to expect to work in an environment that I do not find completely obnoxious, I also expect the same amount of respect in return,.that I give to other people.

If that sounds dramatic and over the top mountain out of mole hill type stuff to you, I don’t give a [zb] quite frankly, it’s just the way I am. :neutral_face:

No I didn’t feel a need to pull off anyone’s head because I respected that not everyone was the same as me when I didn’t smoke. This is why I mentioned the idea of freedom to choose. You did say the following:
“I also have the right and the freedom as you put it, to expect to work in an environment that I do not find completely obnoxious, I also expect the same amount of respect in return,.that I give to other people”.
I would say then that you actually don’t respect the smokers point of view and that society has indeed given down to you rights to work in a smoke free environment. That’s the point I was making, that it is an anti smoking lobby that has brought about an anti smoke environment.
Anyhow, we can agree to disagree.

WheelsofCardiff:
Its not limiting freedom. Its just common sense a shared unit, you need to think of the other person. I need to go to work and keep my workplace tidy.

It is limiting some freedoms. But justifiably so.

Freedom to smoke for one, affects anothers freedom to clean unpolluted air and working environment. Does a smokers freedom trump that of a non-smoker?
None of us are free to drive at 100mph past the school gates. No-one with sense would argue in favour of that freedom, would they?

Franglais:

WheelsofCardiff:

Freedom to smoke for one, affects anothers freedom to clean unpolluted air and working environment. Does a smokers freedom trump that of a non-smoker?
None of us are free to drive at 100mph past the school gates. No-one with sense would argue in favour of that freedom, would they?

In the original post I acknowledged that if there were drivers double manning it was an issue and that the smoker should respect the non smoker.
But look at the scenario now where you have drivers moaning about stale air in trucks when they start a shift. Do you honestly think that stale air from a driver that has smoked say an hour ago will lessen the quality of your life to a serious degree? If you do, then that’s the point I wanted to make.

CLOVER50:
No I didn’t feel a need to pull off anyone’s head because I respected that not everyone was the same as me when I didn’t smoke. This is why I mentioned the idea of freedom to choose. You did say the following:
“I also have the right and the freedom as you put it, to expect to work in an environment that I do not find completely obnoxious, I also expect the same amount of respect in return,.that I give to other people”.
I would say then that you actually don’t respect the smokers point of view and that society has indeed given down to you rights to work in a smoke free environment. That’s the point I was making, that it is an anti smoking lobby that has brought about an anti smoke environment.
Anyhow, we can agree to disagree.

Not respecting the smoker’s point of view?
The difference is I as a non smoker am not causing the smoker any offence, discomfort, (or violent tendencies :smiley: ) or i fact any other thing that you can think of, by not smoking in a truck that we may have to share.

CLOVER50:

Franglais:

WheelsofCardiff:

In the original post I acknowledged that if there were drivers double manning it was an issue and that the smoker should respect the non smoker.
But look at the scenario now where you have drivers moaning about stale air in trucks when they start a shift. Do you honestly think that stale air from a driver that has smoked say an hour ago will lessen the quality of your life to a serious degree? If you do, then that’s the point I wanted to make.

Yes.
It affects my freedom to avoid having my hands and clothing affected by smoke and tar deposits. It is not merely “stale air”.
“Most second-hand smoke comes from the tip of a burning cigarette. This makes it almost impossible to direct smoke away from those around you. If you only smoke in one area of your home the harmful chemicals will spread rapidly from room to room and can linger for up to 5 hours.”
nhsinform.scot/healthy-livi … hand-smoke