Top mud gaurd

clarkyboy:
i dont like to trouble him but my unit has the said question

better the e-mail than side of the road question time

absolutely…

clarkyboy:

scotstrucker:

clarkyboy:
what about the mudguard on the lift axle,running solo with the lift axle up■■?

still needs them

spoke to vosa today…a cut back mudguard on a lift axle with the lift axle up running solo is fine and safe.

dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom%20of%20 … ession.pdf i know this is for northern ireland but i would suspect it too be the same as here

scotstrucker:

clarkyboy:

scotstrucker:

clarkyboy:
what about the mudguard on the lift axle,running solo with the lift axle up■■?

still needs them

spoke to vosa today…a cut back mudguard on a lift axle with the lift axle up running solo is fine and safe.

dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom%20of%20 … ession.pdf i know this is for northern ireland but i would suspect it too be the same as here

my mates word is good enough for me…hes pulled me a couple of times…he knows his job well and is a sound bloke aswell

[/quote]
CRAP

Cant see what all the debating is about - you need the tyres covered at all times trailer on or not, mega trailers or not. There are laid down rules for this _ Construction and Use regulations I think.

Nowadays VOSA have their targets - just try driving into a checkpoint with no wing tops fitted period.

crap that i spoke to vosa or crap its not safe…■■?

This is only allowed if you are on Eastern European plates. :smiling_imp:

to pass a test (mot) you will need tops on all wings, so if it wont go through a test it wont be ok at the side of the road in a vosa check point.
having a trailer on or not has sod all to do with this issue so splitting hairs with talk of running solo with the tag axle raised is just waffle, ask yourself a question “do you test a unit with the tag axle raised” answer NO
I never said running with no wing tops is not safe nor do i care if you have them or not or even if you spoke to a mate at vosa

so why would he say its ok to run solo with the lift axle up■■?

the whole point of no wing top on a tag is the fact they often get damaged or knocked off on the trailer neck when running on uneven ground with the tag raised. FFS in the haulage game how often are you driving round in a solo unit with the tag axle raised?

it doesnt matter how often you have to do it,even if its only once,i wanted to know as my unit ive just been given has said problem,occasionally i have to run from where i park the unit to our yard solo…i want to be legal doing so so i asked the question on here,then asked my mate…he said it was ok…ill run with the tag axle up…

what do you do when you get to the yard fit wing tops and then hook up a trailer?
or do you run round with the tag rased at all times?

theyre not required when running with a trailer as the trailer becomes the top wing

are you for real??
the trailer has sod all to do with the wheel arch… and never becomes the top wing!!
ffs i give up, take em all off i have tried but wing tops are not that high on your list of problems

shooting the messenger…only what ive been told

Alright Lads, I have a definative answere! Spoke to a traffic cop. He said, and i quote…
Under construction and use regulations it is illegal to run with the top part of the mudgaurd missing in all circumstances. Its incomplete spray suppression equipment. I asked would the floor of the trailer act as the mudgaurd over the unit axles? he said, " NO " The only exception is on the trailer wheels themselves only when the trailer is built this way. Again we come to construction and use. If the things designed and built that way, then it’s got to be on it. If it isn’t designed and built that way then it aint needed.

Guessing seen as the majority of the european’s are driving in this country with no top guards on the tractor this comes under the ‘‘Under construction and use regulations act’’, allowed due to lower 5th wheel height ?

not his normal trailer but the same as and the whole outfit went through test asin the photo and passed

you’re quite right about other european’s having no wing tops but they are subject to regulations that differ from those that are required in this country/uk
spray flaps,side guards,side marker lights,rear reflectors/markers… to name a few