Top mud gaurd

I was asked by a driver the other night whether having the top part of the mudguard missing on the unit to be able to pull the pin easier is legal. What do you think?

think its legal to run without them if your pulling a trailer but not if u aint , :unamused:
i could be wrong though

largebloke1969:
think its legal to run without them if your pulling a trailer but not if u aint , :unamused:
i could be wrong though

Cheers ears…i have told him i will look into it, he’s a bit thick and can’t do his own prodding :smiley: :smiley:

lee mc67:

largebloke1969:
i could be wrong though

Cheers ears…i have told him i will look into it, he’s a bit thick and can’t do his own prodding :smiley: :smiley:

hope he can do his own prodding in other departments :laughing:

no its not, i got a tug on way down from Scotland, the big ministry place (M74?) exactly for that reason. The unit was an import and the bottom of the trailer would wear/break the wingyops so they were permantly off for a year. when i got stopped i got a ticket, boss had to put them on then go to M.O.T. station for a new test. Transam run without them on as they are low-ride, but they do keep them on the bac of the cab in case they have to run solo.

sorry Guys, but its definitely illegal.

I’ve had PG9 Prohibitions for it in the past and I’ve discussed it with a VOSA man.

Apparently it is classed as ‘incomplete spray suppression’ and applies whether or not you have a trailer on.

There are no exemptions for low ride trucks as I used to run a few mega units which no way could have the wing tops on and was given prohibitions for this.

K

If your wheel or wheel guard is within 4 ins of the trailer I think then you can remove top of guard, I think :confused:

:smiley:

largebloke1969:

lee mc67:

largebloke1969:
i could be wrong though

hope he can do his own prodding in other departments :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Right that settles it then, illegal, suppression, pg9. Thanks for that fellas i can now go back and tell him he can ride without them. hehehe :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

what about the mudguard on the lift axle,running solo with the lift axle up■■?

If you can stand up in the cab you don’t need them.

mike68:
If you can stand up in the cab you don’t need them.

Only if you are standing up to put your trousers on, while your head is at least 3 metres from the steering wheel.

im surprised no one mentioned the children or words to that effect :smiley: :smiley:

clarkyboy:

still needs them

im surprised no one mentioned the children or words to that effect

Think of the children driving your big mean truck about with no spray suppression. What happens if the unthinkable happens and you pass one with water on the road :smiling_imp:

K5Project:

im surprised no one mentioned the children or words to that effect

Think of the children driving your big mean truck about with no spray suppression. What happens if the unthinkable happens and you pass one with water on the road :smiling_imp:

OOOHHH!!! I just LOVE it when that happens :grimacing:

scotstrucker:

clarkyboy:

still needs them

spoke to vosa today…a cut back mudguard on a lift axle with the lift axle up running solo is fine and safe.

clarkyboy:

scotstrucker:

clarkyboy:

still needs them

spoke to vosa today…a cut back mudguard on a lift axle with the lift axle up running solo is fine and safe.

thats a lucky coincidence that you spoke to VOSA today about this very question rather than try it and see if they fancy doing you for it

a mate of mine works for them…a quick e,mail later

i dont like to trouble him but my unit has the said question