Tomtom Trucker 6000

TomTom have announced a new sat nav for us truck drivers. Based on the GO 6000.

It does not include the Telematics and allows the import of POI files, route saving, and the use of their web based route planning software.

I was thinking of upgrading my 5150 Pro to the 5250 but am now going to save up and get this new one!

£320!!!
■■■■ that,I’ll carry on using my £70 tom tom go and my eyes,much cheaper…served me well for 8 years already.

Remember that if you value Tomtom’s live live traffic on your 5150 then your next subscription will be up within the year. Knock that off the price of the 6000 which comes with free live traffic for a year and the price starts looking a little less eye watering.

I’d like to see some user reviews first, though. The Amazon reviews of the 5250, though only 9 in number, are overwhelmingly negative. The 6000 looks pretty similar so I’d like to see some comfort that they have improved things substantially.

I was thinking the same. The warranty and free traffic are up soon on my 5150. If you could get £150 for it selling it, and knock off the cost of buying the traffic updates, its not so bad.

I might get one to play with and do a review for my youtube.

109LWB:
I was thinking the same. The warranty and free traffic are up soon on my 5150. If you could get £150 for it selling it, and knock off the cost of buying the traffic updates, its not so bad.

I might get one to play with and do a review for my youtube.

I was hoping for about £200 on ebay but as you are right to say it’s still sounds like a good deal. Please let me know if you post or see a you tube review.

Well worth buying from Amazon if you want to give this a go, they offer a no quibble refund policy.
The 5250 was a joke and I will link my review for it later, Tomtom do not even support the thing without a tracker subscription.

I will try once available and out a review.

Amazon are out of stock at the moment.
Just about to buy direct, but decided to try find out some more info on it.
Judging by what Ive seen, Im not sure I like the new interface. The 5150 has all the info you need, like current time, distance remaining and eta on the bottom, easy to see at a glance. It appears the 6000 doesnt have this, only time remaining and distance remaining.

For me, I often need to ring customers before I get there, so the ETA is a very useful function, and pretty much always spot on.
Likewise, I use the clock on the 5150 when I write out my paperwork, as the lorry is off so the dash display isn’t lit up and the Tacho has usually gone into sleep mode.
Little things like that would bug me, its part of the reason I stopped using my Garmin and bought the 5150, as Garmin’s layout didn’t have all the info the TomTom’s did.
The new style looks very modern and fresh, but at the same time looks to be a lot harder to see the info you actually want quickly at a glance.

Also it seems you can’t add POI’s onto the unit, instead you have to upload them to the web and it pulls them back off from there. Not great, as I have a huge POI folder with all my customers on it, and I add new ones everytime I go to a new customer.

Does anyone have a tom-tom with this new system that could comment on my points and what data you can actually display on the main screen when driving?

amazon.it/dp/B00XXNVU0U

£302.02 Delivered from Italy (£290ish if you have a decent credit card that is good for foreign transactions and pay in €’s)

3-5 Days delivery

Why 300 + quid when there’s solutions for your phone starting at 28 quid

On the Google Play site for Android there’s a Co-Pilot hgv nav on there but it’s £72 and you can’t try before you buy.
Used a Garmin up until a fortnight ago without any major issues.
Traffic is better on the Tom Tom tho.

I will stick with my 5150 and my smart phone google maps. The live updates have just finished and warranty gone but I have not had this that long to get my money’s worth. May look at renewing it in 2025 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alix776:

1. I don’t want to destroy my phone battery, gps drains it faster than I can charge it.
  2. The traffic if available would decimate my monthly download allowance.
  3. The screen is tiny.
  4. I couldn’t load all my customer POIS into it.
  5. I’d rather have a dedicated device.

109LWB:

alix776:

1. I don’t want to destroy my phone battery, gps drains it faster than I can charge it.
  2. The traffic if available would decimate my monthly download allowance.
  3. The screen is tiny.
  4. I couldn’t load all my customer POIS into it.
  5. I’d rather have a dedicated device.

Use a 2.1 ma charger the screen on most smartphones is more than ample
The data usage is small and the background overhead is even smaller. ( personally I don’t use any traffic data that’s what radio 2 is for )

On some it may be possible

That’s personal choice

The traffic on my 5150 never worked in truck mode.

Radar19:

Make sure your password on the device is the same as your log onto the tomtom online update thingy.

Drift:

Radar19:

Make sure your password on the device is the same as your log onto the tomtom online update thingy.

It is. Says that traffic is not available. Never bothered me though, BBC traffic is much more reliable. Sometimes I don’t mind sitting in traffic, means I get a nightout which equals money in my pocket and not in my fuel tank!

Radar19:

Drift:

Radar19:

It is. Says that traffic is not available. Never bothered me though, BBC traffic is much more reliable. Sometimes I don’t mind sitting in traffic, means I get a nightout which equals money in my pocket and not in my fuel tank!

To be fair I find the tt traffic quite good, plus it helps give a more accurate time of arrival I think. Though often I head for the traffic jam as coupled with radio 2 reports you tend to work out if the jam will be cleared before you get there, that said it could also be used for your earning potential by aiming at the jam for your nefarious activities :laughing:

Drift:

Radar19:

Drift:

Radar19:

To be fair I find the tt traffic quite good, plus it helps give a more accurate time of arrival I think. Though often I head for the traffic jam as coupled with radio 2 reports you tend to work out if the jam will be cleared before you get there, that said it could also be used for your earning potential by aiming at the jam for your nefarious activities :laughing:

Whenver I have drops in either Manchester or Liverpool I always check the travel before I head back. Last time I was there, there was an accident at Ferrybridge which would of sent me over my hours so I spent the night at Hartsmoor. Office weren’t too pleased as it messed their whole week up!

I use 2 a GARMIN TRUCK GPS+TRUCK MATE 7000 each cost 400euros+ when bought never let me down in any euro country give up whinging and buy the correct kit cheapskates

Well I bit, Got it from Amazon Germany for under £300 delivered.

Overall, very impressive, like the 5250, I needed to call Tomtom to arrange for the voices (It had German computer voice on, not UK as it was from Germany) to be added but fortunately Tomtom DO support the 6000 Trucker, unlike the 5250 which they won’t talk to you without a “Webfleet” subscription.

POI’s added no problem through the internet, and I can set a location and it will be sent to the device when it is turned on, so if I am going somewhere new, someone can show me it on my phone, press OK and I don’t have to listen to 10 minutes of “Turn left at the red lion, go over 14 roundabouts, make a u turn at the fire station…”

More in depth review to come, but preliminary reaction is good, nice big, clear screen and the “Flow” navigation and map browsing is as smooth as I want it to be