Tom tom trucker....how do they peform!

That sounds about right :wink:
This is a big update as it will be a full map update and downloads to your laptop then installs on your nav, the installation is usually the long bit.
Ignore the times it can sometimes be faster than it says.
Mine took ages to install so I ignored the advice about disconnecting the nav from the laptop and then reconnected it a couple of seconds later and it sped up.
Sounds to me like it’s updating, the next big update will be around Easter.

When I got my 5250 Truck (think that is the model) I had really bad trouble doing the initial map update. I managed to wipe all the maps from the memory and couldn’t restore the original maps.
I contacted TomTom Uk on twitter and they referred me to TomTom Telematics (think they are based in Holland). When they got involved they called me up, gave me instructions to follow over the phone and sorted the problem.
TomTom themselves didn’t seem to know what I was talking about but Telematics said it was a common error to have the maps disappear.

Anyone with any issues should contact TomTom Telematics instead of just the standard TomTom team.

uk.support.telematics.tomtom.co … ntry/en_gb

I have found it pretty good but occasionally it can take a frustratingly long time to find a route. I try and put my next drop in as soon as I arrive at my current one to save waiting for it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Well i think ive done it, it finished and said update finished,took hour an half, anyway,i thought id try and log in to my drive again and just see what it says, it logs in no bother now,says 3 updates available straight away,and thats before i even plug my unit in,so it stil says 3 updates available,iam assumeing that its just saying whats available even thow i think ive just updated them.■■? Does that make sence to u more savy than me blokes! Cheers

eddster1979:
Well i think ive done it, it finished and said update finished,took hour an half, anyway,i thought id try and log in to my drive again and just see what it says, it logs in no bother now,says 3 updates available straight away,and thats before i even plug my unit in,so it stil says 3 updates available,iam assumeing that its just saying whats available even thow i think ive just updated them.■■? Does that make sence to u more savy than me blokes! Cheers

You may have just register it, worth installing updates if it says you have them, costs nothing :wink:

Ones in our place are good on motorways…but they will try and take you down every unsuitable road they can…or will take you round the lanes fully freighted to save you just 20 seconds…all the settings are correct they just dont like multi drop round town work

Drift:

eddster1979:

You may have just register it, worth installing updates if it says you have them, costs nothing :wink:

Cheers for ur reply, when I clicked on update now,it showed the same page that I updated an hr and half earlyer so I didnt want to press up date again in case it started another hr and half update, if u logged back into my drive now,would urs say no updates available,or not,bearing in mind mine says 3 updates before I even plug my nav in stil,i have no access to the laptop now as ive left.it did say on my nav that the update was complete,but stil offers 3updates ont my drive!!! Sos for long winded post!

Been trying update for hours now it just hangs in “waiting for your device” on the mydrive on laptop

In the pub at the moment, so quick post, you always get one update that’s the user thing (can’t remember the name) this updates constantly with user inputs, but if it says more than two updates then there is a map to update or a system update pending and worth updating.

In this day an age u would think that u cud update our navs from a smart phone or tablet,lets be honist how many of us use a laptop or computer anymore when its instant on tablets etc

The tomtom update system is useless, it’s used to be far better when they had the tomtom home program, this mydrive thing is highly unstable.
It took me over two hours to update and it also kept saying I had updates even though it had just updated. I simply unplugged the device and plugged it in in again. It seems to not reconnect to the device, it just thinks it’s still connected. Did this serval times before it actually fully updated.
I tried updating my 5150 before I did the new one but it crashed, so I unplugged it and put it away. Even after plugging the new one I’m, it Insisted the 5150 was still plugged in. Took ages for it to realise it wasn’t.

Recommendations reqd plz for sources of a suitable tough case and 3M screen protector film. The case will probably need to accommodate the base mount and charging cable

peirre:
Recommendations reqd plz for sources of a suitable tough case and 3M screen protector film. The case will probably need to accommodate the base mount and charging cable

I use a soft sleeve and place it face down a Walls icecream tub with all the other gubbins on top, fit’s perfectly.
Plus a thief will probably think it’s my lunchbox! :laughing:

Unfortunately this will require you to consume 1800 mls of icecream first! :smiley:

peirre:

I got this one halfords.com/technology/sat- … ravel-case. Loads of room in it for satnav, windscreen mount and charger/cable. I put the mount and cable in a drawstring pouch that originally contained a pair of sunglasses to ensure the satnav screen and casing doesn’t get marked by the hard parts.

But I do like EB’s “stealth” camouflage case suggestion!

My previous TT case setup was 1 hard case for the TT + lead & another for the mount. But it would be nice to have it all in one case

Just taken mine for a short “test drive” in the car (but with the TomTom set to truck weights/dimensions) around some local roads to get a feel for it compared to my old 5150 (and its predecessor the 7000 truck - TomTom model numbers can be confusing…).

I like the routing, especially as regards weight limits, which seems to be improved over the 5150. There are a couple of regular runs I do into that there Lunnon where the 5150 would route via some 7.5T limits, even though there are perfectly acceptable alternatives that do not involve such restrictions. This isn’t just a problem with map accuracy though - the restrictions in question are on the 5150’s maps (and it happily sounds an audible alert as you contravene them…), it just seems to ignore some of them for reasons that I have not been able to fathom.

Which brings me on to something that I find a little disappointing with the 6000 - the older 5150 and 7000 would sound a warning if you entered a weight restriction, even if you were driving without satnav guidance. The 6000 doesn’t appear to do this and I haven’t found any option in the Settings menu to make it do so.

Truck speed limits are now correctly displayed onscreen (unlike the earlier units which would display the car speed limits regardless of vehicle type selected) and the audible overspeed warnings activate at the truck limits. These audible warnings also appear to activate much more quickly - the 5150 would happily let you drive in excess of the posted limit for several seconds before sounding the warning, whereas now it triggers pretty much instantly.

Changing the vehicle dimensions (e.g. when swapping trailers) was a teeny bit long-winded on the 5150 as you had to go through the full set of screens one at a time (height, length, width, weight, hazmat and audible warnings) even if you only wanted to change the height. On the 6000 it’s all on one screen and you just select the one(s) you want to change, which is better. On the downside though there still appears to be no way to save a preset vehicle configuration to make swapping between vehicles/trailers even quicker. Dimensions also appear to be entered only in metres (even if you have chosen Imperial measures in the “Units” setting screen), which is a minor annoyance if your brain works in Imperial measures as mine does.

On the road, rerouting appears to work quickly enough on short journeys, although understandably it lags a bit on longer ones. Still appears quick enough for me though.

Screen display is nice and clear, with the traffic information displayed on a sidebar just like the 5150.

I would hope that some of these minor niggles might be addressed in future updates (as some things were with the 5150) but even if they are not, none of it is mission-critical. On the whole, I like it and feel that it is a definite improvement on the 5150.

Not all speed limits are correct mate, it will tell you on some roads the limit is 40 when the signs are saying 50…

Glad you ‘sort of’ like it! :laughing:

Oh - and for those who are experiencing problems with Updates (e.g. “Waiting for Device”), there is a wealth of useful information here en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydri … ips-990570 which might help you.

Good write up Roy :wink:

Roymondo:
Just taken mine for a [zb] “test drive” in the car

■■? Why the hell has my post failed the auto-freakin-censor? The word I used was “S H O R T” (without the spaces and not in capitals).