Tom tom trucker....how do they peform!

After all the hype weve made on these cheap units,thought it be good to post a reveiw on what we think about them,early days yet but,good and bad bits and tips etc…

First tip I can give, is download the TomTom update app on a PC or Laptop and update the thing.

Huge map update, as well as speed cameras.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mine arrived in the week, the UI is a little different. Was hoping to have the classic thing along the lower edge but that doesn’t seem possible?

When you 1st plug it in, rather than let the TT software do it, physically copy all the files to a back up location on you computer

claretmatt:
First tip I can give, is download the TomTom update app on a PC or Laptop and update the thing.

Huge map update, as well as speed cameras.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was wondering about the map updates,i havent got a computer,jurgt a tablet,i can get access to one tho,is there any way of updates without a pc,just tablet!?

Its alright, glad I didn’t pay close to £400 for it.

The OS seems to be a tad slow for what is the flagship unit.

Would have like to have seen the units and measurements a bit more customisable.

I’ve been using a tom tom 720 with a truck map installed for years and I’m probably set in my ways with how quick and easy it is to use as everything is only a couple of button pushes away.

How do you “prepare route” on this one? The 720 had that function and was really handy when the planner asked how long A to B would take and I could give a pretty accurate estimate and could plan my day around it

Do u lads no anything about the record button!!

eddster1979:
Do u lads no anything about the record button!!

The record function is for recording your own driven route, SO… you can either drive a route from memory & it will record were ever you dive, even if its a restricted area
OR…
You can use the search function to plan a route to a destination & record at the same time & along the route if you know a slightly better way ( short cut ) it will record the route change so when you play the recorded route back it directs you down the modified route ( but only if your playing back the recorded )

And if you want to share your recorded routes with you friends or work mates just copy them to an SD card ( not sure if recorded routes will work on other units other than tomtom units )

THE BAD BITS…

When you have named your routes the name is set in stone, you need to re-record a new route if you want to change the name & the order that the routes appear in on the unit cant be changed either unless you copy all the recored routes to the SD card, delete them from the unit, then put them back on the unit in the order you want them in.

FuzzyBhoy:

Would have like to have seen the units and measurements a bit more customisable.

I’ve been using a tom tom 720 with a truck map installed for years and I’m probably set in my ways with how quick and easy it is to use as everything is only a couple of button pushes away.

How do you “prepare route” on this one? The 720 had that function and was really handy when the planner asked how long A to B would take and I could give a pretty accurate estimate and could plan my day around it

I think the slowness will be down to the amount of data the unit is downloading off the tomtom servers prior to finishing route planning, stuff like traffic road closures and such like, mine seems to run faster when not logged in my to tomtom account.

I know it’s an alien concept that most of you will ignore but here’s a link to the manual that you might like to save a copy to your phone/tablet and read while killing time somewhere
download.tomtom.com/open/manuals … -en-gb.pdf

I’ve downloaded the app, I’ve not used it yet but seems you can an a route o your smart phone then when you get in your wagon it can automatically send the route to the sat nav via Bluetooth , I think.

Drift:
I’ve downloaded the app, I’ve not used it yet but seems you can an a route o your smart phone then when you get in your wagon it can automatically send the route to the sat nav via Bluetooth , I think.

Almost right. It doesn’t have Bluetooth, but there’s an inbuilt SIM card in the satnav so it can connect to the tomtom servers via mobile internet. When you send it a destination from your phone, the information is sent and received via the internet. You can add your favourite places and POIs from your phone and they will automatically show on your tomtom when you next use it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weeto:

FuzzyBhoy:

I think the slowness will be down to the amount of data the unit is downloading off the tomtom servers prior to finishing route planning, stuff like traffic road closures and such like, mine seems to run faster when not logged in my to tomtom account.

True, I’ve not had it out on the road yet but will give that a try.

Do I need to update the maps straight out of the box or will it already have the current maps on it, iam not that savy at all this updateing malarky! Do we know how often we need to update them or is just a case of linking it to my drive and it will say if it needs updateing cheers fellas

You’ll find that it regularly wants to do a HUGE map update and I’m guessing it doesn’t amend the map, it just overwrites the whole lot…
A bit annoying if you’re on a limited data connection! :neutral_face:

I updated mine and my (now old 5010) last night, the full map updates happen four times a year with small user and camera updates in between.
And yes new maps have recently been made available for the truck navs, so worth updating them for maps via home Internet for speed.
I update about every two or three weeks when I remember.

Cheers fellas I will give it a go later today when I get access to a laptop

eddster1979:
Cheers fellas I will give it a go later today when I get access to a laptop

Well iam struggling, ive downloaded my drive on a laptop,plugged in sat nav,it reconises my nav but doesnt show anything else on computer screen,cant get it to do anything! Any ideas fellas

Have you registered with an email and password?
If so it should pop up that there will be three updates available, sometimes you might need to close the page and reopen it or disconnect and reconnect the sat nav from the laptop, the my drive can be a bit temperamental.

Drift:
Have you registered with an email and password?
If so it should pop up that there will be three updates available, sometimes you might need to close the page and reopen it or disconnect and reconnect the sat nav from the laptop, the my drive can be a bit temperamental.

Yeah am on my drive,its connected, it didnt show the 3 updates it said something that i cant remember and when i pressed it it said 1 hr 15 mins to update, now after that it says done,then started sumut else that says 3mins left!! Ten mins later stil going!! God knows