Tom Tom sat nav

Tom Tom start 20 Europe, do they all come with free lifetime map updates from manufacturer or is it down to where you buy it.
(Apologies in advance, as I suspect this is a bloody silly question, but I am not up with all this stuff :blush: )

My old Tom Tom packed in a couple of weeks ago, I found one on Argos site last weekend (Start 20 Euro) for Ā£55ā€¦ it specified Free lifetime maps.
I went to store they told me they had discontinued selling it.
I went to a differnt store, (wonā€™t say who until I receive the sat nav :wink: )they had same model for Ā£109 :open_mouth:
I told the girl I was just looking and comparing prices and that theirs was expensive compared to Argos. She checked the site, spoke to her manager and he told me they had a price match policy, so they would let me have it for the Ā£55 :open_mouth: I nearly snapped her hand off.
However none left in our local store, but she tracked one down in Essex and if I paid in full today they would post it direct to me.
I know you are getting bored now btw :smiley:

When I got home and checked other sites they ALL specified the Lifetime maps offer on that modelā€¦except the firm that I bought it off.
Anybody know the answer? Is it manufactutrer or down to individual retail co?

Iā€™d imagine that if itā€™s the same model as the other one itā€™ll have lifetime maps but the shop just hasnā€™t advertised it.

Just treated myself to a slightly early birthday present and got a tomtom truck 6000. Itā€™ll be going on its maiden voyage tomorrow.

Fairly certain that life time maps come with any tomtom though. Itā€™s speed cameras and traffic you have to pay for I think.

Hammy747:
Iā€™d imagine that if itā€™s the same model as the other one itā€™ll have lifetime maps but the shop just hasnā€™t advertised it.

Just treated myself to a slightly early birthday present and got a tomtom truck 6000. Itā€™ll be going on its maiden voyage tomorrow.

Fairly certain that life time maps come with any tomtom though. Itā€™s speed cameras and traffic you have to pay for I think.

Thanks mate I thought that might be the case.
I never updated my old one at all but heard it was quite expensive to do so, and I didnā€™t want the same thing with the new one.
Just got concerned that all the others specified it as a selling point, and my shop didnā€™t.

robroy:

Hammy747:

I never updated my old one at all but heard it was quite expensive to do so, and I didnā€™t want the same thing with the new one.
Just got concerned that all the others specified it as a selling point, and my shop didnā€™t.

Have a look at the box when you get it as itā€™ll probably be advertised on there. If it hasnā€™t, then itā€™s up to you but if you really want free map updates then send it back and shop around elsewhere for one. Assuming you want a truck one, now that the tomtom trucker 6000 is out you can pick up the old one, trucker 5000 cheap second hand online.

Hammy747:

robroy:

Hammy747:

Have a look at the box when you get it as itā€™ll probably be advertised on there. If it hasnā€™t, then itā€™s up to you but if you really want free map updates then send it back and shop around elsewhere for one. Assuming you want a truck one, now that the tomtom trucker 6000 is out you can pick up the old one, trucker 5000 cheap second hand online.

Yeh ok cheers mate. Iā€™ll have a look.
Donā€™t really need or want a truck one thanks, just a basic one is ok for me, but thanks anyway.

The answer to your question is NO! I got caught out by this too a few months back. Went to Argos and saw a Tom Tom with free map updates. Looked around and found the exact same model at another store 10 quid cheaper. Great I thought so I got it their and then.
However when looking into it no life time map updates so I took it back and went to Argos.

Robroy!

When you get the TomTom register it online and install whichever version of software for your device. I have the TomTom start 25 (mine is MyDrive connect. - Spelt correctly)

You will automatically receive notice for updates etc.

dri-diddly-iver:
Robroy!

When you get the TomTom register it online and install whichever version of software for your device. I have the TomTom start 25 (mine is MyDrive connect. - Spelt correctly)

You will automatically receive notice for updates etc.

Ok, so will that mean I get the maps/updates for free.
Sorry to appear thick but I am way out of my depth with this stuff :unamused: :blush:

Coolrider:
The answer to your question is NO! I got caught out by this too a few months back. Went to Argos and saw a Tom Tom with free map updates. Looked around and found the exact same model at another store 10 quid cheaper. Great I thought so I got it their and then.
However when looking into it no life time map updates so I took it back and went to Argos.

If that is right Iā€™ve just been told the price match policy will be more than likely be on a ā€˜like for likeā€™ basis, so I will check it out when it arrives. Thanks.

Itā€™s all down to TomTom. Google them and ask the question - answer usually very quick, instant if you have their download. If in doubt DONā€™T turn on new gadget as it will be deemed a used item and you wonā€™t get a refund.

I think my TomTom 6000 has lifetime maps, itā€™s the live traffic updates they seem to be focusing on as their revenue streamā€¦
And at (I think) Ā£30-40 a year, you have to consider if knowing of these jams easily in advance is worth the money! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
I think my TomTom 6000 has lifetime maps, itā€™s the live traffic updates they seem to be focusing on as their revenue streamā€¦
And at (I think) Ā£30-40 a year, you have to consider if knowing of these jams easily in advance is worth the money! :smiley:

Iā€™ll just stick to the radio for that. Anway I aint bothered about jams, Iā€™m on hourly pay.

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

Iā€™ll just stick to the radio for that. Anway I aint bothered about jams, Iā€™m on hourly pay.

And here comes my first chance to give you a dig! :smiley:

So by your own admission, a Sat-Nav now has itā€™s place (after yours has gone ā– ā– ā– ā–  up) and youā€™ve previously given people stick over using them! :grimacing: As itā€™s an essential bit of kit now daysā€¦

But the driver is expected to provide and pay for this! :open_mouth:
Yet PPE is a MANDATORY requirement and provided by the company! :confused:

Now if the focus changes from a simple journey aid, to an EFFICIENCY aid that improves driver efficiency.
Who is going to want to pay for that? :open_mouth:
Will it be the hourly paid driver who doesnā€™t give a crap, or will it be the firm who wants to improve efficiency from their drivers? :wink:

So I like the revenue attitude from TomTom, as I think trucks should come with Sat-Nav built in, and for companies to be paying the cost of themā€¦

Once that happens, I canā€™t wait to see the posts where people say; ā€œThe company Sat-Nav told me to go that way!ā€ :laughing:

Or am I an idealist - Slap me back! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
And here comes my first chance to give you a dig! :smiley:

So by your own admission, a Sat-Nav now has itā€™s place (after yours has gone ā– ā– ā– ā–  up) and youā€™ve previously given people stick over using them! :grimacing: As itā€™s an essential bit of kit now daysā€¦

But the driver is expected to provide and pay for this! :open_mouth:
Yet PPE is a MANDATORY requirement and provided by the company! :confused:

Now if the focus changes from a simple journey aid, to an EFFICIENCY aid that improves driver efficiency.
Who is going to want to pay for that? :open_mouth:
Will it be the hourly paid driver who doesnā€™t give a crap, or will it be the firm who wants to improve efficiency from their drivers? :wink:

So I like the revenue attitude from TomTom, as I think trucks should come with Sat-Nav built in, and for companies to be paying the cost of themā€¦

Once that happens, I canā€™t wait to see the posts where people say; ā€œThe company Sat-Nav told me to go that way!ā€ :laughing:

Or am I an idealist - Slap me back! :smiley:

What do you mean your first chance, youā€™ve had numerous chances, I just thought you were scared of me :laughing:

Right letā€™s put this to bed, Iā€™ve just had the same crack on the ā€˜Park like a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€™ thread.

Yeh, I have commented on numerous sat nav threads, and if you care to look, you will see on most I freely admit to using one, and have done for last 6 years or soā€¦as a guide .

Essential? That is arguable, we all done without them ā€¦not that long ago :bulb:
I could, and have, but choose not to.
Others can not do without them and would ā– ā– ā– ā–  themselves going out of the yard, never mind going abroad without one.

The ā€˜stickā€™ you mention has been aimed in the past to those who spend half their bloody pay on some thing that would be at home in a Tornado jet fighter not a truck, and/or those that totally and blindly rely on one to find their own arse with both hands.

Not sure I get the Sat nav/ppe comparison, and not all firms pay for ppe anywayā€¦do they?

The day will certainly come when sat navs in trucks are standard, and as you say some will blame the quality of the sat navs for THEIR lack of common sense resulting in their ā– ā– ā– ā–  ups.
Think, and hope, that answers your dig :laughing:

Btw E8b, ā€¦you missed a golden opportunity to have a go at me last week.
I was parked up on a fri night, bored ā– ā– ā– ā–  less, and came on asking about Truck disco lights.
I donā€™t know mate :unamused: I set them up for you and you just ignore me. :unamused: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Iā€™d love to get into one, but Iā€™m already half cut and on my way down now, so Iā€™m screwed if we get into one! :smiley:
Yes mate, a sat-nav is an aid, and as Iā€™ve posted before, on class 2 multi drop I donā€™t get time to fully spec my drops beforehand, as it may be 20 a day.

I thought that every non limping, carrier bag carrying, ear piece wearing agency scum knew that FREE PPE, was what separated them from the full time primates. ContraFlow being an exception, maybeā€¦ :wink:

Anyway Iā€™m well cut now, so completely lost my train of thought, plus ability to type! :blush:
But currently Iā€™m mate with this class 2 gig, so canā€™t wait for my class 1 test next month.
Once that is sorted, Iā€™ll be your stalker! :open_mouth:

With so many cars having a built in sat nav wouldnā€™t it be a good idea for truck manufacturers to start installing them as standard and the company just buys the appropriate maps? Just a thought.

10 Year ago i had a Ā£99.- SatNav from Maplin and it showed me more surrounding as my new MIO which runs on TomTom Software. And it gets you where it shall not.
Goin to Hatfield P and it says on Sliproad Left. Well,a big Sign says there ā€œStriktly no HGVā€
Goin A10 to London it says ā€œOver Roundabout second Exitā€ but i have to take 3th Exit and enter Arla from A406.
:arrow_right: Dont go out without Map and ā€œStop & Ask if it is unknown to you,just as 20 Year ago it was doneā€
Ask at TN is always better then stuck in a Housing Estate :exclamation:

Richard R:
With so many cars having a built in sat nav wouldnā€™t it be a good idea for truck manufacturers to start installing them as standard and the company just buys the appropriate maps? Just a thought.

Built-in car SatNavs are actually quite expensive options, though - often a Ā£500-1000 option, when you can get a TomTom for under Ā£100. Itā€™s down to the LCD screens. If theyā€™re built into vehicles, then they have to be designed to work over a large temperature range (in particular, down to -40C, which is difficult for LCD), and that makes them expensive. For separate units (like TomTom etc.), theyā€™re considered to be standard ā€œconsumer electronicsā€, and they typically only have to be designed to work down to 0C.

Plus, thereā€™s the risk of the screen getting broken - probably a lot more likely in a truck with drivers climbing in and out of the bunk, itā€™d be much easier to put a foot through the screen than it is in a car.

I guess the bottom line is that the companies donā€™t really want to pay the extra expense.

Rob, so has the satnav arrived? what is the outcome?

Eye opener - popperā€¦

Those lifetime map updates are scam - try yourself if donā€™t believe you can buy 2014 TomTom and update map and still see the same roads that they had on it at 2010 even main junctions and road rebuilds are not included.

Real map update comes only with Model / Software change like for example TomToms with old interface disregarding if its 2012 or 2014 will have the same map even with updates but TomToms with new interface - 2015 will have new map.

Donā€™t believe - go to IT forums and google in thereā€¦