Tom Tom sat nav

Priest:
Rob, so has the satnav arrived? what is the outcome?

Hiya mate. Yeh, got it in post this afternoon and it did not include the free maps as the one from Argos did.
Rang Maplins who told me they did not do the ones with free maps, even though it was the same model as Argos (not sure how that worked) but seeing as the price match was a like for like policy they would upgrade me if I came in with another unit.
So should be sorted when I get back and go in shop at weekend (How heroic am I with all the young drivers…, running bare back with no sat nav :open_mouth: for yet another week :smiley: )
So thanks everybody who answered for your comments …including the cheeky ones :laughing:

With the Start 20 and 25 models, there are TWO versions of each. One is cheaper with a map that cannot be upgraded(around £55) the more expensive versions are usually between £80-100 and have lifetime map updates.
I have both models, once registered, let me know by email when there are map upgrades. both update using the MyDrive software through the computer and only take a couple of minutes.
The updates do work, as a new housing estate nearby that didnt show a few weeks ago is now mapped.

Twoninety88:
With the Start 20 and 25 models, there are TWO versions of each. One is cheaper with a map that cannot be upgraded(around £55) the more expensive versions are usually between £80-100 and have lifetime map updates.
I have both models, once registered, let me know by email when there are map upgrades. both update using the MyDrive software through the computer and only take a couple of minutes.
The updates do work, as a new housing estate nearby that didnt show a few weeks ago is now mapped.

Cheers for that mate, I thought they were all the same.
Should have looked into it more, but as I said, not really into all this stuff.

Just an update on this riveting story, as I know you are all on the edge of your seats, and can’t get enough of my sat nav adventures.
Got the new one from Maplins, it lasted a day, then died, it would not hold charge. Bought a new charger while away, still no life, basically it was ■■■■ useless.

Took it back, when I got home this weekend, nothing in stock except for expensive ones. Got money back.

Went to Halfords saw one for £79.99 was about to buy it, and the young lad assistant was good enough to tell me that a special offer/ price cut was due in next couple of days.

So another week in front of me screenless, no sat nav, what a hero. :smiley:

Stay tuned for my next installment.

Will I get a discount.
Will it still be in stock.
Will I go for the rank outsider, and spend 300 quid on a truck one.
Will my world end after 3 weeks without a sat nav.
Can I continue this crap thread for another week.
Can you guess.
Do you really give a ■■■■.
Find out next week!

robroy:
Just an update on this riveting story, as I know you are all on the edge of your seats, and can’t get enough of my sat nav adventures.
Got the new one from Maplins, it lasted a day, then died, it would not hold charge. Bought a new charger while away, still no life, basically it was [zb] useless.

Took it back, when I got home this weekend, nothing in stock except for expensive ones. Got money back.

Went to Halfords saw one for £79.99 was about to buy it, and the young lad assistant was good enough to tell me that a special offer/ price cut was due in next couple of days.

Will I get a discount.
Can you guess.
Do you really give a [zb].
Find out next week!

If you’ve got a mobile telephone that supports “applications” download the google maps. There’s a satnav section complete with talking woman. It’s in beta mode so they give a clause that it may ■■■■ up your life, ravage your woman and default on your mortgage payments. Apart from that it’s generally very good for a freebie. Live traffic updates for free. Non of this thirty quid a year bullshine. It doesn’t to my knowledge support filtering on vehicle size and weight. Should get you through God forbid you have to break into a transport museum and steal one of those map thingies.

I know you’re an old hand so you probably consider maps a Johnnie-come-lately, favouring a sextant and stopwatch :laughing: :wink:

James the cat:

robroy:
Got the new one from Maplins, it lasted a day, then died, it would not hold charge. Bought a new charger while away, still no life, basically it was [zb] useless.

Will I get a discount.
Can you guess.
Do you really give a [zb].
Find out next week!

If you’ve got a mobile telephone that supports “applications” download the google maps. There’s a satnav section complete with talking woman. It’s in beta mode so they give a clause that it may ■■■■ up your life, ravage your woman and default on your mortgage payments. Apart from that it’s generally very good for a freebie. Live traffic updates for free. Non of this thirty quid a year bullshine. It doesn’t to my knowledge support filtering on vehicle size and weight. Should get you through God forbid you have to break into a transport museum and steal one of those map thingies.

I know you’re an old hand so you probably consider maps a Johnnie-come-lately, favouring a sextant and stopwatch :laughing: :wink:

Betamode, filtering, download, support applications?..no still not getting anything, no, nothing coming. One question mate and not being funny, but …wtf are you going on about??
I mean,…I drove an Atkinson Borderer once over, so I don’t even know what all that stuff means. :open_mouth:
I have only just got used to colour telly ffs :laughing:
I once told a newbie on here when he was using that strange language of which you speak, …sat navs? I can remember when we used to navigate by the stars. Many a time we could be seen lying on the M6 with our ear to the road like the old Apache Indians used to…seriously. :wink:

No I’ll stick with my bridge height map until I buy my basic sat nav complete with idiot guide book. :laughing:

How did you get on with the TT Robroy?

I ask because years go my mate had a TT which was easy peasy to use,even for an old ■■■■ like me who had never used a satnav before, then a couple of years ago my next door neighbour bought a new TT and he couldn’t make head nor tail of the bloody thing, asked me to show him how to use it, sure enough they’d changed everything and neither could i suss it.

Don’t want to get into a branding argument, but my Garmin which must be over 7 years old now,and still on its original maps, never misses a beat and is simple enough even for a technophobe like me to use, used it for the first time in about 3 months on Saturday, needn’t have bothered cos i recognised the place straight away from 30 years previous.

Juddian:
How did you get on with the TT Robroy?

I ask because years go my mate had a TT which was easy peasy to use,even for an old ■■■■ like me who had never used a satnav before, then a couple of years ago my next door neighbour bought a new TT and he couldn’t make head nor tail of the bloody thing, asked me to show him how to use it, sure enough they’d changed everything and neither could i suss it.

Don’t want to get into a branding argument, but my Garmin which must be over 7 years old now,and still on its original maps, never misses a beat and is simple enough even for a technophobe like me to use, used it for the first time in about 3 months on Saturday, needn’t have bothered cos i recognised the place straight away from 30 years previous.

As I said it only lasted a bloody day :laughing:
Ok I was joking on my last post, I aint that bad on tech, my kids even converted me to a top notch android phone Galaxy S5, but I think even that’s out of date now after 6 months. :open_mouth:

Yeh, it was slightly different to my old 7 to 8 yr old Tom Tom Go, Europe, I could not find the ‘browse as txt’ feature which is handy when using a car sat nav in a truck, to reference with a map (yeh I know, but it’s what I’m used to :unamused: ) when using back unclassified roads in Cornwall farm deliveries :smiling_imp: but other than that even I managed it.
I suppose it depends on what spec you buy, that determines how high tech it is, and how hard to suss out.
I, and like you, do not need all this 100% guidance 300quid a shot ■■■■■■■■, if I did I wouldn’t do the ■■■■■■ job.
Not trying to be a hero, it’s just what suits me.

Btw Juddian, you talk about technophobe, have you clocked the ‘Start tramping again’ thread? :open_mouth:
Trampers have deffo changed since we started :unamused: :laughing: .I was going to give him my Tramper’s advice, snd tell him to park up and go to the boozer instead, but decided against it. :laughing:

Personally I’d be looking at a older version similar to what you had,as you have noticed they have completely changed the menu on the new models this making the option to view a route now unobtainable,they have done this to push us lorryists towards there super duper truck ones at £300 a pop…bargain I know :smiley:

Anything upto the new “GO” range will have the old style menu’s I’d be buying another one of them if my current old style one packs in,sod being down with the kids having the new model,actually being “down with the kids” is banned nowadays anyway :smiley:

You can get this dropped on your doormat for £70 notes
tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/car/ … s/via-110/
refurbed from tomtom with 12mnth guarantee,this free lifetime maps are overrated imo it’s just a gimmick,when I turn my sat nav on it tells me my maps are 52 months out of date and I should update them yet I can still manage he to get around without driving off the end of the earth with my 4 year old maps without any issues.

robroy:

Juddian:

Btw Juddian, you talk about technophobe, have you clocked the ‘Start tramping again’ thread? :open_mouth:
Trampers have deffo changed since we started :unamused: :laughing: .I was going to give him my Tramper’s advice, snd tell him to park up and go to the boozer instead, but decided against it. :laughing:

I hadn’t looked there till now, i’ve done a stupid post, as you do… :laughing:

xichrisxi:
Personally I’d be looking at a older version similar to what you had,as you have noticed they have completely changed the menu on the new models this making the option to view a route now unobtainable,they have done this to push us lorryists towards there super duper truck ones at £300 a pop…bargain I know :smiley:

Anything upto the new “GO” range will have the old style menu’s I’d be buying another one of them if my current old style one packs in,sod being down with the kids having the new model,actually being “down with the kids” is banned nowadays anyway :smiley:

You can get this dropped on your doormat for £70 notes
tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/car/ … s/via-110/
refurbed from tomtom with 12mnth guarantee,this free lifetime maps are overrated imo it’s just a gimmick,when I turn my sat nav on it tells me my maps are 52 months out of date and I should update them yet I can still manage he to get around without driving off the end of the earth with my 4 year old maps without any issues.

Yeh the one I have on hold at Halfords is the 20 start Europe, the lad checked to see if it had the text feature and it has, so happy days. It’s similar to the one on the link you sent me (thanks) AND it does have the free lifetime maps. May as well have them rather than not. So waiting a few days to see if it is among the price drops.
If people are daft enough to spend 300quid on something worth a lot less, you can not blame Tom Tom for pushing them.
However I aint.