Toll Bridges & Roads

Flushed from my recent semi-success on maps to RDCs, I thought I’d try to create a list of links to all the toll bridges and roads, since people keep on asking what various tolls are.

So, here we go…

Severn Bridge

Tamar Bridge (Plymouth). Rather helpfully, their website only lists tolls for LGVs up to 17t. It also doesn’t mention that vehicles towing trailers pay double the toll of the towing unit. Since LGVs are charged based on number of axles, I’m not sure how this works (i.e. does a 2-axle tractor unit towing a 3-axle trailer pay less than a 3-axle unit towing a 2-axle trailer?), esp. as the toll charges are listed up to 5+ axles…

Dartford Bridge/Tunnel

M6 Toll

Mersey Tunnel - they even have per-hour charges for when you break down! :open_mouth:

Humber Bridge

Tyne Tunnel

Forth Road Bridge

Itchen Bridge (Southampton)

Tay Road Bridge

Anyone think of any other roads?

I’ve missed out the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, but given that it’s got a 4t weight limit, I hope that none of you will be taking your trucks over… :wink:

I’ve missed out the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, but given that it’s got a 4t weight limit, I hope that none of you will be taking your trucks over

I’d love to see the look on their faces at the toll when 44t is coming at them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:
I’d love to see the look on their faces at the toll when 44t is coming at them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The toll barriers are unmanned - it’s a 30p toll, so the barriers are all coin- or tag-operated. However, there are weighbridges on the approach on both sides, so the barriers probably wouldn’t open, and someone would come and give you a stern telling off :wink:

What about that private one in the Selby area? Can’t remember the road or place, many years since I crossed it.

Salut, David.

There is a private one near Hay on Wye too - I think it’s 50 p but it might be less.
Mind it’s only five minutes longer if you stick to the main road and there is a weight limit but if you want a full list…

What about (I think) Dunham Bridge, A57 near Lincoln? Cost me all of 20p last time I used it!

The Wallasey Tunnel.

I came through there yesterday. Don’t forget, when heading north on the M53 you have to miss the viaduct over a roundabout a couple of miles before the tunnel (and presumably southbound too). Its simply a case of coming down the slip road, round the roundabout and back up onto the motorway. The signing before it isn’t that clear. As you approach, northbound, all it tells you is 3 tonne limit, come off here. It doesn’t say come straight back on, until you get to the exit off the roundabout . :blush: :blush: :unamused:

Deaks:
What about (I think) Dunham Bridge, A57 near Lincoln? Cost me all of 20p last time I used it!

That must have been a while ago!

I used it this week (didn’t even know it was there) and it cost me 80p

Spardo.Selby toll bridge is no more.Its just a normal bridge now.

And Selby itself has a bypass.

For what its worth ie not a lot :laughing: :laughing: Lake Windermere has its own ferry.

7.5 tonne limit but worth it simply for the hell of it! :smiley: :smiley:

maverickfoxx:
Spardo.Selby toll bridge is no more.Its just a normal bridge now.

And Selby itself has a bypass.

For what its worth ie not a lot :laughing: :laughing: Lake Windermere has its own ferry.

7.5 tonne limit but worth it simply for the hell of it! :smiley: :smiley:

As a newbie panting to go ‘over the water’ many, many years ago, I used to choose the Woolwich ferry just for the trip :blush:

But that’s free, so off topic, sorry :cry: .

Salut, David.

Tamar Bridge on the Devon & Cornwall Border-

£5.50 for 4 axles or more (abnormal loads, sliding price, based on weight)

Standard toll, payable on exiting Cornwall only (Eastbound), (abnormal load charge - both ways).

Just a reminder, Torpoint Ferry has an 18t mgw and is payable Eastbound only.

Regards

John

spardo:
As a newbie panting to go ‘over the water’ many, many years ago, I used to choose the Woolwich ferry just for the trip :blush:
Salut, David.

Did you find the ‘duty free’ shop? :laughing: At our place, any drivers new to the southeast London area were sent via the Woolwich Ferry and were under orders to bring a bottle of ‘duty free’ scotch back for the TM. It was a riot watching the poor sods going to the crew-men and asking for the duty free shop and then being directed all over the ferry. We also used to book a £1 for using the Woolwich 'till some daft [zb] let it slip that it was free.

if it needs stars to get past the auto censor you know it’s not allowed :wink: Denis F

Viking:

spardo:
Salut, David.

Did you find the ‘duty free’ shop? :laughing: At our place, any drivers new to the southeast London area were sent via the Woolwich Ferry and were under orders to bring a bottle of ‘duty free’ scotch back for the TM. It was a riot watching the poor sods going to the crew-men and asking for the duty free shop and then being directed all over the ferry. We also used to book a £1 for using the Woolwich 'till some daft [zb] let it slip that it was free.

if it needs stars to get past the auto censor you know it’s not allowed :wink: Denis F

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday, I used the Woolwich Ferry for the first time in 15 years. We had a driver who was booking the quid too, :smiley:

It takes longer to get into the parking area than it does to cross the river though :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Apologies Denis. :blush:

KW:

Deaks:

That must have been a while ago!

I used it this week (didn’t even know it was there) and it cost me 80p

It was only about a year ago, or maybe a bit less. Maybe I was thinking about the change I got from a pound coin and not what it actually cost!

forget the Itchen bridge. its £25 and it is not worth it. it takes around 20 minutes to go the long way round. on top of that, going towards town leads you to a roundabout with a weight limit (7.5T) on the 2nd exit (straight on) and a few low bridges nearby.
head up peartree avenue then turn left onto Bitterne Road (A3024) which takes you over Northam bridge and into town/ind ests etc.
Athelstan Road looks like a short cut but its a 2 ton limit and its a steep hill where it joins peartree avenue

scanny77:
forget the Itchen bridge. its £25 and it is not worth it. it takes around 20 minutes to go the long way round.

one of the drivers at longs went over by mistake and wouldnt pay well it wasnt a mistake he wanted to get to vospers but didnt realise the charge was so high anyway he wouldnt pay and refused to pay in the end the bridge phoned andrew long and he had to pay with his credit card :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

About 15 or so years ago I was coming into Portmadoc, about 5 in the morning, black dark and hammering it down with rain. In the middle of the road was a wooden school type bench with a biscuit tin on it and an old couple stood by it.

I jumped on the brakes and brought all 38t to a halt wondering what the hell was happening. “Toll” they said. “Oh, how much?” says I. “5 pence” was the reply.

I tossed the appropriate coinage into the tin to join the other 20p or so that they had collected, but I still get bemused by the thought of the toll custodians being stood there at that time in that weather for such scant reward.

Anyway, if its still there, Portmadoc.

Yes it is, Limey, and I think it’s still 5p too! I was over that way on a visit to see my Old Dear a while ago but can’t remember how much it was exactly. It’s Portmadog by the way too :smiley: .

Rob K:
It’s Portmadog by the way too :smiley: .

:unamused: :unamused: Just to be really pedantic and a [zb], it’s actually Porthmadog :wink: :wink:

putting in numbers might fool the autocensor, but it doesn’t fool me :wink: Denis F