Toby` s law.

If you were a transport minister for the day what law`s would you introduce, here are mine, feel free to add to the list.
1= Headlights on in the day time.
2= Lights on in tunnels.
3= All drivers to carry sunglasses for low winter sun.
4= Insurance details to be displayed in the windscreen like the road tax.
5= New learner drivers to drive a LGV for the day in a private airfield or race track so they can see our blind spots and try reversing.
6= Ban these silly P pass plates, the test is for a minimum driving standard, as you learn to drive throughout your adult life.
7= Fit safety belts for drivers asleep on the bunk of a moving truck when on double man work.
8= All trucks to be fitted with a truck specific sat nav, either the boss pays for it or the manufacturers
9= All trucks to have a blind spot mirror lens in the passenger window for side swipe accidents, Fresnel Lens.

Motorway driving as part of your test.

All rdc’s, container terminals, ferry ports ect to provide parking.

Five years for fuel theft.

Tax rebate on fuel for commercial users.

Investigation into msa pricing.

New set of up to date domestic regs for all lgv drivers who do not go outside the UK and EU regs for the whole run if going outside UK

dcpc to be like the rtd = everything in place but no authority to bother enforcing it

Would make the use of fog lights in rain a 9 pointer.

Same for those idiots who insist on using just sidelights,

Make all drivers take medicals every 5 years.

Make all cars have speed limiters, set to 70mph. Just to see how they like it!

I agree with tobys suggestions, plus:
All speed limits to apply to all vehicles,
speed limiters on trucks to be set at 70mph.
one set of regs for trampers, and another set for day/night drivers.
two sets of road tax, 1 for domestic and an additional tax for international. no more tolls, maut, and vignettes.

Government financed rest areas similar to those often found in France at regular intervals on all motorwats and main A roads that are completely free of charge and provide basic services such as toilets and possibly even wifi as is the case in many US rest areas now and with enough parking for x amount of trucks so that parking in crappy side of road layby’s and industrial estates is no longer a requirement of the job.

If I were in charge of the entire EU then I’d replace all the drivers hours regs with some very simple and straight forward rules without all the complicated mathmatical equations that are often involved and I’d re-introduce full cabotage laws so that a load between the UK and Germany for example could only be carried by a British or German truck and then offer permits for companies wishing to engage in cabotage where there is a genuine need for transport that cannot be provided by the registered fleets of either country, or something to that effect.

LAY BY burger van,s now staffed by the tarts in them fhm mags!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driving tests for all over 75 mandatory and police powers to terminate licences roadside after rta’s if elderly. Or a simple eyesight test is failed.

bald bloke:

is that for car drivers or HGV’s?

mickyblue:

bald bloke:

is that for car drivers or HGV’s?

I would say cars, As it’s already part of the HGV test. Or at least it is round here.

bald bloke:

How is that gonna work for people on Stornaway or Lerwick? :unamused:

Fine the operators of matrix signs for displaying wrong info

Make central reservations on motorway higher so car drivers can’t rubberneck

If someone is seen demonstrating bad driving habits (speeding, cutting people up, not checking mirrors etc) instead of giving them points/fine make them register with driving school in their own time and their own cost and go on a driving course, if they refuse, susspend license

Make it illeagle to charge for parking for HGV’s at MSA’s & a like.

Driving assessments for everyone every 5 years. You fail you get a taxi home until you have re-passed your test.

Thereal-john:
Fine the operators of matrix signs for displaying wrong info

Make central reservations on motorway higher so car drivers can’t rubberneck

If someone is seen demonstrating bad driving habits (speeding, cutting people up, not checking mirrors etc) instead of giving them points/fine make them register with driving school in their own time and their own cost and go on a driving course, if they refuse, susspend license

So that’ll be Vosa, The police, and Highways agency drivers on courses 24/7 then.

cut fuel tax for commercials

60 as the minimum speed on motorways unless shown otherwise on matrix signs. Getting tired of cars sitting at 50 then matching my speed as I get level. Seems to be happening more and more :imp:

ipswich123:
cut fuel tax for commercials

I think cutting fuel tax in general would be a good thing. More money in peoples pockets means they can spend on luxuries, The same luxuries that we deliver.
It can be spent on crap as well.