Tips on not looking like a twit your first day?

hi everyone, read this forum for a while, done and passed my lgv class 2 first time.

thanks for all the info everyone i have already read up on.

my fear now is, i know a lady in an agency that is getting me work, got offered work two days after i passed, BUT i couldnt take it because my digital tacho card hasnt come back yet, but as soon as it does, she is going to get me work, its a case of not what you know, but who you know.

my fear and question is, when i do start, is there any tips (ive searched through the forum but cant find any info) is there any tips for when i turn up for the first day, so i dont look like a total new person. i dont want to turn up and have to ask questions all day.

ive youtubed how to use my didgital tacho card, was just wondering if there will be any hidden things that i should really know?

sorry for being long winded, and again thank you to all the people who have posted on other threads.

cheers chaps for any replies.

Better to ask questions if there is anything your unsure of than make a mistake that will send you packing .

see i was thinking like, get there, find out the crack, get keys, check lorry, find out load, get it loaded, drive away, drop it off then back to yard, or am i tottally wrong ?

i am thick skinned so any answer is a big help if im being stupid

Don’t be afraid to ask any question about anything your unsure off, better off looking stupid asking a question than looking even more stupid screwing something up because you didn’t ask.

Familiarise yourself with the vehicle before you try and leave the yard, a lot of firms will quickly run through the general truck operation(gears, indicators, lights etc etc) when a new agency driver turns up. Make sure you know how to operate a tail lift if it’s fitted to the vehicle, don’t wanna get somewhere and realise you can’t get the tail lift out.

Most big firms will want you to go through an induction before you are allowed to drive for them, it may last a couple of hours or if it’s like where I am doing agency work at the mo, last for 3 days, so that would be a good time to get your question asked as it will usually be the company driver trainer doing the induction.

Hope this helps

But always ask another driver and not the office knob-jockeys.

Harry Monk:

Good point, office knob jockeys always think they know best but usually know nothing

selby and harry, thanks for the replies, youve made me a bit less worried, so bassically these people would rather help a newbie rather then set them up to fail… cheers chaps, your two points are really good, i just didnt want to walk in blind and look like a mug.

so keep my gob shut with the office people, and when the people that do the assessments and other drivers are their, pick their brains. obvisously i cant walk in and know it all (no one likes a show off) i just was worried if i walked in and knew nothing they would peddle me.

if i got a call for a skip driver i know the business inside out due to working in family skip business for years. (dont want to work for family though even though it would be good for experience)

cheers chaps

Don’t worry about lookin like a mug mate, just ask about whatever your unsure of and take your time and you will be fine. Make sure you check your load is secure and your not over loaded, vehicle weight info is on the plate inside the cab. When you get to delivery points, if you can’t see what your driving into then get out and check you can turn around and get out again, it’s usually a lot easier to reverse in than have to reverse out onto a busy road or something.

gashgash:
selby and harry, thanks for the replies, youve made me a bit less worried, so bassically these people would rather help a newbie rather then set them up to fail…

Yes, any driver will help someone who’s new. All of us were new at it once.

daft question selby mate, do you find some places intentionally try to overload you without you noticing ? to be honest, i was a supervisor in a factory and when the wagons used to come in to be loaded, it was more of a case of making sure the whole load was in, didnt think twice about weights etc because it didnt matter to me loading,

now the time has come to start actually doing it, i have a million stupid questions i could ask.
i know everyone has to start off blind, and you dont really learn till you do it yourself i respect that.

but i figure if i learn a little before i start, i may just help me secure a permanent job and you lads (and lasses) are the best source i can ask.

i really cant thank yous enough, with two little mouths to feed i need to be sensible and grasp whatever i can

gashgash:
daft question selby mate, do you find some places intentionally try to overload you without you noticing ?

Very rarely because they would be fined for it too.

harry mate, i loaded wagons for four years, and never knew this, sometimes we treble loaded pallets and filled all the gaps with hand balls, all metal, and not once did one of the drivers moan.

passing the test and what youve just said, i would turn half them loads down, its amazing !

gashgash:
daft question selby mate, do you find some places intentionally try to overload you without you noticing ? to be honest, i was a supervisor in a factory and when the wagons used to come in to be loaded, it was more of a case of making sure the whole load was in, didnt think twice about weights etc because it didnt matter to me loading,

now the time has come to start actually doing it, i have a million stupid questions i could ask.
i know everyone has to start off blind, and you dont really learn till you do it yourself i respect that.

but i figure if i learn a little before i start, i may just help me secure a permanent job and you lads (and lasses) are the best source i can ask.

i really cant thank yous enough, with two little mouths to feed i need to be sensible and grasp whatever i can

No mate, 99% of places you go to will not overload you, but it’s you along with the company who will be fined, so best to keep an eye on your weight for your own benefit. If in doubt, some places will have a weigh bridge so you can check before you leave.

so hyperthetically, if i weighed myself, and was overloaded, do you refuse to take it till they take it off ?

and would there be hell on if it meant leaving one pallet, or whatever was left over ?

Language please dear boy if it need star it not allowed & I find this title very offensive

Angela

really sorry, not meaning to offend anyone at all,

can i change the title?

Harry Monk:

and
    If You are on a night out 1 st job dont park facing down hill :blush: or you wont sleep for keep falling off the Bunk :blush: .
    Dont take address post code for granted always check paperwork for extra delivery instructions and ask other drivers if there is anything you should know about the drop .ie goods in round back ect .
    For instance last week i was sent to Thirsk on a drop my satnav tried to take me down a narrow street so i phoned the office to ask if that was right and was there another way in …no said the Girl thats right i have it on google now other drivers do it so its right …so after 5or6 shunts and messed up pants i got in through the tightest 200 yds ive ever been in to the drop to be told by the yard staff oh no they come in via the roundabout with the supastore on it :blush: … hence i second Harrys post good luck mate

gashgash:
so hyperthetically, if i weighed myself, and was overloaded, do you refuse to take it till they take it off ?

and would there be hell on if it meant leaving one pallet, or whatever was left over ?

You got it mate, get them to take it off, NO decent company will intentionally send you out overloaded. If something has to be taken off, it might be a 2 trip job for you or the company has to arrange other transport for the leftovers. any stuff that you would have to leave behind isn’t really your problem, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

animal:
Language please dear boy if it need star it not allowed & I find this title very offensive

Angela

You must move in a strange part of the transport world if you don’t hear that word 20 times a day, Ange. :wink:

gashgash:
really sorry, not meaning to offend anyone at all,

can i change the title?

Lol don’t worry about it, just type whatever word you want and if it’s allowed it will appear, if it’s not allowed “ZB” will appear in its place as its a word that’s not permitted under forum rules.