Tips for the snow

Tomorrow will be my 1st time having to deal with snow since I have been driving an artic, i am expecting the yard to be covered in snow when I go in tomorrow morning at 5am, I will be the 1st driver into the yard tomorrow morning so it should still be as it fell. Is there anything I need to do to help getting under my trailer??, such as shovelling the snow away from the front of the trailer before I go under■■? Would I be better off keeping the lift axle up until I get onto the road to help get grip?? Anything else I can do to help me along my way??

If possible keep the lift axle raised ir will help. If your truck is auto a bit of manual over ride will help too

If you feel yourself starting to slide, place your head between your legs kiss your ■■■ goodbye! :grimacing:

And don’t eat the YELLOW snow :wink:

kr79:
If possible keep the lift axle raised ir will help. If your truck is auto a bit of manual over ride will help too

Thanks, I’ll keep lift axle up. Truck is an auto, merc actros, would the best bet be to try and keep it in as high a gear as possible, but without stalling it of course??

I got a feeling the hardest bit will be trying to get out of the yard as its on a bit of an uphill slope

Picking up and dropping trailers can be the hardest thing in the snow / ice, but if you do it as you were taught, ie, get 5th wheel under truck, adjust height perfectly, then connect to pin instead of lifting trailer, that’ll make it less likely to lose traction.

I use plants to give my drive wheels traction, almost every yard has some weeds growing around it, yank them out of the ground, they’re brilliant for providing traction.

redbob:
If you feel yourself starting to slide, place your head between your legs kiss your ■■■ goodbye! :grimacing:

Better not wear my seat belt if I need to follow your instruction :laughing:

waynedl:
Picking up and dropping trailers can be the hardest thing in the snow / ice, but if you do it as you were taught, ie, get 5th wheel under truck, adjust height perfectly, then connect to pin instead of lifting trailer, that’ll make it less likely to lose traction.

I use plants to give my drive wheels traction, almost every yard has some weeds growing around it, yank them out of the ground, they’re brilliant for providing traction.

Cheers Wayne, you winding me up about the weeds■■? :blush: :bulb:

Don’t be an Idiot

Call Off Sick

redbob:

You forgot to put ‘hope this helps, thanks’

Immigrant:
Don’t be an Idiot

Call Off Sick

Am agency, no show= no dough. Hope nobody can get out of the yard, will have to wait and see. Gotta go from Yorkshire to Swindon and then to Leicester and back

selby newcomer:

waynedl:

Nope, deadly serious, found out the hard way when I was taxiing (in a minibus, not a car) and I couldnt’ get up a hill, got it to the side of the road, ripped a load of plants up and stuck them under the drive tyres, worked perfect. Then had to do it again when returning a rental trailer to a yard, got in there ok, put it where they wanted it no probs, tried to release it and I couldn’t get the traction for the 5th wheel to release, so weeds to the rescue again.

Just remember unless you’ve got diff lock, do both tyres, the power will go to the 1 with the least traction otherwise.

waynedl:

The only problem with using vegetation is that it is all white like the surroundings. Unless you mean plant like a Drott or D6 :laughing:

The only tip you need to know is “smooth and steady”

waynedl:

selby newcomer:

waynedl:

Nope, deadly serious, found out the hard way when I was taxiing (in a minibus, not a car) and I couldnt’ get up a hill, got it to the side of the road, ripped a load of plants up and stuck them under the drive tyres, worked perfect. Then had to do it again when returning a rental trailer to a yard, got in there ok, put it where they wanted it no probs, tried to release it and I couldn’t get the traction for the 5th wheel to release, so weeds to the rescue again.

Just remember unless you’ve got diff lock, do both tyres, the power will go to the 1 with the least traction otherwise.

Thanks again, I will see how I get on in the morning and if needs be will give your bit of advice a go, any help is good help, cheers

Dont worry if Wheel spins by low Speed,just lift trottle if Back drifts too much away.wenn full shall everything ok anywhy,expect from Braking as you need longer to stop.But ABS will help you.(ABS only works 100% when you stay full in the Pedal :bulb: )
Dont pump by braking as its not a Car or Van.

Be causion when light and when load dont put too much in front of Kingpin,but then as much Weight as possible between Kingpin and Middle Trailer Axle. (Dont use that Suggestion for Rigid :exclamation: )

Immigrant:
Dont worry if Wheel spins by low Speed,just lift trottle if Back drifts too much away.wenn full shall everything ok anywhy,expect from Braking as you need longer to stop.But ABS will help you.(ABS only works 100% when you stay full in the Pedal :bulb: )
Dont pump by braking as its not a Car or Van.

Be causion when light and when load dont put too much in front of Kingpin,but then as much Weight as possible between Kingpin and Middle Trailer Axle. (Dont use that Suggestion for Rigid :exclamation: )

Thanks, will be fully loaded goin from yard to Swindon, empty from Swindon to Leicester and full from Leicester to back to yorkshire

keep it pinned :laughing: :laughing:

easier said than done if you’re not used to it, but try not to be over cautious.

don’t wait until you’re stuck to bang diff lock in, use it to help you not get stuck in the first place. dumping the air out of the drive axle also helps if the lift axle stays off the ground.

hills - if it’s something momentum will get you over, then hit it as fast as you (safely) dare or until the limiter kicks in, use a high gear, low revs and as much throttle as you can before it starts wheel spinning.

if it’s too long that momentum wont get you over then, you want a lower gear, quite high revs with a mid to small throttle position. you need to be able to play with the throttle so as soon as you get wheel slip you can back off a fraction without the engine dying.

if you get stuck dumping the air out of the trailer will put more weight on you drive if the trailer is angled up like they normally are, also do this if you need to do some tight turning because instead of scrubbing 2 of the 3 equal weighted axles you only be dragging them round with their own weight on the floor.

you can also use the fact that raising and lowering the suspension with the brakes on rotates the wheels, ie - trl brake on, unit handbrake off, raise the trl sus if it gripped it’ll of moved a few inches foward ,then unit hand brake on, trl sus down and repeat until you’re out or made enough room to get a good rocking going.

always try and carry a bit o rock salt!

stevie

My old instructor years ago told me to imagine there is a rotten egg beneath your brake and accelerator pedal, press both gently to avoid breakages.

This works much better if you actually put eggs beneath the pedals :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Probably don’t need to say this but don’t use the engine brake when on snow or ice I watched a guy at my last job do it he jacked knifed pushing his cab into the fence
he was a know it all driver and didn’t ask nor listen so had it coming

Thanks for all the advice lads, I have noted it and will see how it goes tomorrow, cheers