Tips for interview.. euro work

A friend of mine has an interview with a company at the weekend, its basically trunking from the uk to holland and germany and back etc, he considers the job that he’s applying for to be well out of his league but has already met the manager face to face and they are aware of his age and lack of euro experience and said thats its not a problem. Can anyone offer some advice about how to approach this interview, things to say, things not to say, good questions to ask etc… Be nice to hear from someone thats been in this position before and their experience.

Thanks.

In the absence of experience, honesty and enthusiasm will get him a long way. Has he been abroad in a car or van? That could be something to consider adding at interview.

Tell him not to act the big I am,no BS tell the guy who’s doing the interview that he ain’t never done it before and if the boss is worth his salt then he will send a experienced guy over with him the first time to show him the ropes regarding the taxes and stuff.
That’s what I did and I’m still here after 8 years.

He will pick it up soon enough,all the best.

As above, tell him not to ■■■■ talk them. Be completely honest and upfront that he knows very little about it and push the ability and the want to learn.
If he talks himself up he’s done for. Hope he gets it.

Honest and enthusiastic, without going over the top, is the way to go. If the guy likes your mate he will give him a chance if possible.

Why does he consider the job “out of his league”?. Working within the EU these days is simple enough. The only differences are ferries and road tolls where applicable. If its regular work then the existing drivers should be able to advise your mate on everything he needs to know. Im sure that if the company are going to give him a chance they will help him learn the ropes. If not then if your mate has a tongue in his mouth it’s just a case of asking.

Hope he gets it.

Cheers
Neilf

Blimmy cheers for the quick and informative replies… He’s told them that he’s not got any euro or left hand drive experience (german reg lorries) and the lady told him that they train everyone anyway so thats not a problem. Yes he’s been over in the car quite a few times but understands that taking a lorry over will be a completely different kettle of fish. One of his biggest concerns is getting to grips with things such as paying for tolls, carrying the correct documents and general procedures… She told him they do their own cpc training so it appears they are keen to train their staff properly.

neilf:
Why does he consider the job “out of his league”?

I think he considers this sort of work to be for the reverse of the most experienced drivers, is that the right or wrong mindset im not sure?

Is that a firm in Colnbrook? Don’t want the name, obviously.

Saaamon:
Blimmy cheers for the quick and informative replies… He’s told them that he’s not got any euro or left hand drive experience (german reg lorries) and the lady told him that they train everyone anyway so thats not a problem. Yes he’s been over in the car quite a few times but understands that taking a lorry over will be a completely different kettle of fish. One of his biggest concerns is getting to grips with things such as paying for tolls, carrying the correct documents and general procedures… She told him they do their own cpc training so it appears they are keen to train their staff properly.

They sound like a proper company :open_mouth: good luck to you, err i mean your friend.

Scanner:

Yes it is, with black merc’s.

Saaamon:

Scanner:

Yes it is, with black merc’s.

We’re thinking of the same outfit. Any idea of the money? Always look well turned out, think quite a few are double-manned given the nature of the work.

Is going to be on the vans? If so they expect you to drive flat out as the schedules are extremely tight and they are monitored constently.

I started with a firm called Pan Express on european work about 14years ago. A mate told me to say I’d done some benelux work but when I got there I decided to be upfront and honest and told them I had no experience at all. They phoned me a few days later, gave me a start and kept me on easy runs to Luxembourg and France for a month or so before giving me runs all over Europe. It was a totally different ball game on euro work and I loved every minute of it.

So in my experience I would just be honest with them. :wink:

bald bloke:

Saaamon:

They sound like a proper company :open_mouth: good luck to you, err i mean your friend.

:laughing: :wink:

Ahhhhh the old “a friend of mine” line… :laughing:

GBPub:
Is going to be on the vans? If so they expect you to drive flat out as the schedules are extremely tight and they are monitored constently.

No on artics but said im happy to drive anything… The drivers who i spoke to said they do heathrow to frankfurt and i make that to be the best part of 500miles which seems quite tight but it must be possible and spose the only way is to really crack on… Im more than happy to be monitored, to me that says there professional…

Cheers for the advice everyone thats replied, im abit pessimistic about it really but will give it 110%, if you dont try you dont get and all that…

Saaamon:

GBPub:

No on artics but said im happy to drive anything… The drivers who i spoke to said they do heathrow to frankfurt and i make that to be the best part of 500miles which seems quite tight but it must be possible and spose the only way is to really crack on… Im more than happy to be monitored, to me that says there professional…

Yeah but have you asked your mate how he feels about all of it? :laughing:

Saaamon:
No on artics but said My friend said im happy to drive anything… The drivers who i spoke to said they do heathrow to frankfurt and i make that to be the best part of 500miles which seems quite tight but it must be possible and spose the only way is to really crack on… Im more than happy to be monitored, to me that says there professional…

Cheers for the advice everyone thats replied, im abit pessimistic about it really but will give it 110%, if you dont try you dont get and all that…

The depot is in Kelsterbach close to the airport and fom Colnbook is approx. 460 miles. As for being monitored, nothing to do with being professional, but to make sure you aren’t hanging about. I would say they are one of the least professional German companies.

Scanner:

Saaamon:

GBPub:

Yeah but have you asked your mate how he feels about all of it? :laughing:

He’s definitely quoting his mate… :smiley:

Driving in Holland and Germany is as easy as falling off a log. Roads are usually well signed and plenty of places to rest.

Food is crap tho. Dutch women are… let’s say - not shy. :wink: German women are fat and hairy… yes… all of them. :open_mouth:

Steffi Graf wasn’t fat…