Tips for interview.. euro work

GBPub:
I would say they are one of the least professional German companies.

Oh wonderful, from one to another then :unamused:… How unprofessional are we talking, sleeping at traffic lights?

Boomerang Dave:
Food is crap tho. Dutch women are… let’s say - not shy. :wink:

I dont believe that for one minute :laughing:

One tip I would say is worth noting - especially if your ‘mate’ is new to driving in Euroland, indicators on motorways and duel carriageways are used differently.

Over here we indicate to overtake, the signal means I intend to pull out and overtake. We allow vehicles to pass and wait for an appropriate slot… or at least we are supposed to.

Over there, it means - I’m coming out and you are expected to read the road and allow them to pull out… that said, tis not usually a problem for truck drivers as we tend to predict that well.

In Holland, you always need to check when crossing cycle lanes (VERY VERY IMPORTANT), have a good look up and down them before driving across them, they are also used by scooters that thrape around. Bump a cyclist and you are in the wrong… no argument - that’s the way they do it. If in doubt, slowly slowly.

One of the most common issues people have… is turning left at a crossroad - often where there are traffic lights… don’t drive right up to the traffic lights, they usually don’t have signals on the other side for you to see the changes, so hold back a bit. At crossroads, take a good look at your exit line when turning left… see where it goes before setting off - I’ve seen a few Brits get that one wrong (no not my mate) :wink: and end up heading along the wrong side of a strata. Dutch cops are more understanding than Germans… Germans like their rules. Disobeying rules is verboten! And when in Germany - don’t mention ze war! They really do NOT have a sense of humour.

Only driven cars and a van round europe and consider myself to be fairly inexperienced as i still have think about what to do as opposed to over here where it comes naturally of course. So when turning left at crossroads do you mean being careful as not to turn left to early and end up driving down the wrong way of a dual carriage way etc? Is there any other advice you could give regarding driving over there in a lorry compared to a car? Thanks.

The main thing about turning left across oncoming traffic is it’s just alien to Brits - naturally you have to give way to the oncoming - unless traffic signals instruct otherwise. I’ve seen quite a few get it wrong, easily sorted if the road is a two way street… if it’s divided by anything - such as a cycle lane or bollards - your’e stuffed…

What really brought it back to me is when I took a driver to Holland with me, I just drove as I would normally, he said he found the left turn across traffic confusing… then I remembered the trepidation I felt in the early days turning left at large crossroads etc… they key to it is get the the correct lane… usually to the left, but if it’s a large junction and you are in a truck… there may be more than one left turn lane… you would usually take the furthest right left turn lane and take a good look at where you intend to go… I know that sounds obvious… but people when in strange environments do tend to focus right in front of themselves… or sit staring at the oncoming traffic - then when the lights change its - oh ■■■… what do I do.

Just to add to motorway manoeuvring and the - I am coming out when indicating… you naturally get the timing sorted. You’ll soon get the hang of it.

If I think of anything else - I’ll post it… I’m a bit rushed today. Making up for gassing in here over the past few days. :laughing:

Six months ago Jessicas Dad was asking these same questions, he is now a seasoned Eurojohnie who has come home to roost. It isn’t difficult, it is all to do with, if you can hack been away from home or parking up on a public holiday when it is the kids birthday or rabbits anniversary.

Thanks boomerang dave, really do appreciate the advice.

Wheel Nut:
Six months ago Jessicas Dad was asking these same questions, he is now a seasoned Eurojohnie who has come home to roost. It isn’t difficult, it is all to do with, if you can hack been away from home or parking up on a public holiday when it is the kids birthday or rabbits anniversary.

Your only out for a couple nights a week on this job, just trunking back and forward and you dont have your own lorry so go home when back in the UK… We couldnt speak much as i had to crack on… At 24 i dont have to worry about kids birthdays :smiley:

Boomerang Dave:
One tip I would say is worth noting - especially if your ‘mate’ is new to driving in Euroland, indicators on motorways and duel carriageways are used differently.

Over here we indicate to overtake, the signal means I intend to pull out and overtake. We allow vehicles to pass and wait for an appropriate slot… or at least we are supposed to.

Over there, it means - I’m coming out and you are expected to read the road and allow them to pull out… that said, tis not usually a problem for truck drivers as we tend to predict that well.

In Holland, you always need to check when crossing cycle lanes (VERY VERY IMPORTANT), have a good look up and down them before driving across them, they are also used by scooters that thrape around. Bump a cyclist and you are in the wrong… no argument - that’s the way they do it. If in doubt, slowly slowly.

One of the most common issues people have… is turning left at a crossroad - often where there are traffic lights… don’t drive right up to the traffic lights, they usually don’t have signals on the other side for you to see the changes, so hold back a bit. At crossroads, take a good look at your exit line when turning left… see where it goes before setting off - I’ve seen a few Brits get that one wrong (no not my mate) :wink: and end up heading along the wrong side of a strata. Dutch cops are more understanding than Germans… Germans like their rules. Disobeying rules is verboten! And when in Germany - don’t mention ze war! They really do NOT have a sense of humour.

All great advice except the bit about no humour. I always had a fine time in Germany, it’s the Swiss that really are miserable! I will add, the German speaking ones even more so… :smiley:

Gotta be better than the port work saamon, that’s for sure. Let us know if you get it. Would say its a doddle, just the nerves before the first trip.

Scanner:
All great advice except the bit about no humour. I always had a fine time in Germany, it’s the Swiss that really are miserable! I will add, the German speaking ones even more so… :smiley:

:laughing:

That reminds me, if you get a drop or pick up in Switzerland, the traffic lights have vertical cameras - trespass over that stop line by an inch and they’ll fine you and they will pursue it. Same with speed, they really do have cameras all over the place and they have been known to seize vehicles until fines are paid. The Swiss Gubbermint hate motorists.

Silver_Surfer:
Let us know if you get it. Would say its a doddle, just the nerves before the first trip.

+1

Silver_Surfer:
Gotta be better than the port work saamon, that’s for sure. Let us know if you get it. Would say its a doddle, just the nerves before the first trip.

I do wanna get off this type of work, compared to what i was on before (general) they really push you to do as many trailers as possible in a week, probably to make the work pay, I havnt had a friday finish in months now and its really draining, its just about legal but still knackering.

Yes i shall certainly let everyone know how it goes either way… Feel that im punching well above my weight with this one so fully prepared for it not to happen. The thought of taking a lorry abroad is very daunting, only been driving lorries here for a little over 2years :open_mouth:

Once you’ve done it for a few weeks you’ll find euro work easier than driving in the uk.
In Germany be careful on the motorway exits. Some of them tighten up sharply. The squareheads like to see a good gap between trucks and will fine you if your too close. The German equivalent to Vosa are the “b.a.g”… They are very thorough but I’ve always found them fair. If you’ve done wrong expect to pay.

Good luck with it, my feeling is to be honest at the inteview, I think your age might help you and the fact you understand you lack experience it means you’re somebody that most likely will listen to advice and doesn’t think thy know it all.

Before you even go for the interview you have giving yourself a downer, to me it sounds like you want to just try it, but are so afraid they will give you the job, you think that’s bad now wait till next week when they do offer you the job.

What you said about the job is that its straight trunking (Round trips) you will not get easier work to start you off, it will be a piece of ■■■■ for someone who has two years driving experience, forget this advice about you will be grand after a few weeks you will do this kind of run once and that’s it, next time you know what to do and where to go and you will wonder why you put up with all the ■■■■ for the last two years, you wont know yourself. Some trunking routes you don’t even see a traffic light.

My advice just go for it and want it, and go for the interview with that attitude, you could do it with your eyes closed.

Saaamon:
A friend of mine has an interview with a company at the weekend, its basically trunking from the uk to holland and germany and back etc, he considers the job that he’s applying for to be well out of his league but has already met the manager face to face and they are aware of his age and lack of euro experience and said thats its not a problem. Can anyone offer some advice about how to approach this interview, things to say, things not to say, good questions to ask etc… Be nice to hear from someone thats been in this position before and their experience.

Thanks.

I love this type of question. Its for a third party, nothing to do with me…that makes me grin before you start. But the replies and answers make you howl !! Look…

has already met the manager face to face and they are aware of his age and lack of euro experience and said thats its not a problem.

Tell him not to act the big I am,no BS tell the guy who’s doing the interview that he ain’t never done it before

Blimmy cheers for the quick and informative replies

I some times wonder does anyone actually read the full posts here. I know i don’t, i was just wondering if everyone was like me :laughing:
Ps. tell him to ask what the company pension is like, then they’ll think he plans on staying there forever and will consider him loyal !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:
Ps. tell him to ask what the company pension is like, then they’ll think he plans on staying there forever and will consider him loyal !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Not to mention sick pay, company gym, holidays, bonus system, canteen, meal allowance, uniform, safety boots, language courses, legal insurance cover, ■■■■■ discounts (it is Holland & Germany). :wink:

I’d prefer not to say exactly how things are going over the internet but the ball is now rolling and will be able to update again in a couple of weeks. Once again cheers for the help.

Proper job. When you get over there you will love it. I’ve been driving coaches through Europe for 2 years and its so much nicer over there.
Please remember if you come off the boat or train at Calais and there is a coach behind you please make space when safe to do so. Some of us have seriously tight runs to do and we need every minute do do them. My run down last week was 20.55 hours duty (double manned)!!

mucker85:
Proper job. When you get over there you will love it. I’ve been driving coaches through Europe for 2 years and its so much nicer over there.
Please remember if you come off the boat or train at Calais and there is a coach behind you please make space when safe to do so. Some of us have seriously tight runs to do and we need every minute do do them. My run down last week was 20.55 hours duty (double manned)!!

I havnt landed it yet but on to the next stage, its a slow process because they want to make sure its right for everyone as I get the feeling they don’t like investing time in people for them to ■■■■ off 3months later. If the dream becomes a reality I shall certainly remember that! Cheers.

mucker85:

■■■■ that.

Tell your traffic office not to plan such tight runs.

It’s the drivers that keep doing the ■■■■ poorly planned runs that ■■■■ it up for the others.

No excuse for it these days…

DonutUK:
[zb] that.

Tell your traffic office not to plan such tight runs.

It’s the drivers that keep doing the ■■■■ poorly planned runs that [zb] it up for the others.

No excuse for it these days…

To bloody right some of these companies expect the impossible then when it doesnt go to plan they throw a tantrum.