Tipping point

We often hear about “nice jobs that are poorly paid” or “poor jobs that are of average pay” but what are the places where people don’t want to work even when the pay is top-hole?

I used to think that was supermarkets, but as the pay for supermarkets gets dragged up by the price of block booking agency drivers, - I wonder if the sector has lost it’s top spot when it comes to “best pay for least desire to work there” kind of thing.

There are a lot of low-paying yards in the middle of nowhere which implies that these jobs have become more desirable than working for better pay in town, but poor conditions.

…Unless of course we’re being lied to all the time about just how popular these lower paid jobs really are!

I think the truth is somewhere in between myself, but where exactly?

Does anyone have any experiences of the highly-paid side of the transport sector that they just could not stick?
Give your reasons for leaving… No naming and shaming so much as just what happened, and what made you think that doing a similar job for less money was highly desirable to you at that point. :arrow_right:

Watch it everyday…when bored…o…sorry :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

At bidvest I was earning over 3k a month and didn’t even work on all rest shifts, it broke me after 4 months. If I worked every day shift and rest shifts I would hit over 40k in a year.

Everyone is going to have a different tipping point. The same person will have a different tipping point at different times in their life: what you put up with trying to pay a hefty mortgage and raise a family, is different then when you are fresh and looking for adventure, and different again than when you are nearing retirement. The job I wanted in my twenties, isn`t the job I wanted in my forties.

Im lucky in that i love what i do and the rates are very good but…every so often i get broken by the huge distance i do each week which is 4K km and just have to do something different like ‘local’ groupage to Portugal which is the therapy, a week doing that and im fine again…till next time…

^^ I like that programme … :slight_smile:

I think I’m at that stage your on about.

I currently work fri-tuesday.Been there almost 2 years.But the pay is good but as it’s supermarket you kinda have to drag the day to get 9hr/10.

I have been thinking of heading back to a firm I was at for only 2 months.Good work longer days/night outs.
The reason I left was due to me finding out my day rate wasn’t what I was told.
I go to the same rdc every week where as the other firm pay less and you do a bit of everything ie rdc/cash and carry/collect trays etc

buses:

I currently work fri-tuesday.Been there almost 2 years.But the pay is good but as it’s supermarket you kinda have to drag the day to get 9hr/10.

I have been thinking of heading back to a firm I was at for only 2 months.Good work longer days/night outs.
I go to the same rdc every week where as the other firm pay less and you do a bit of everything ie rdc/cash and carry/collect trays etc

You’ve been working Fri to Tues for nearly 2 years ? :open_mouth: no wonder you’ve had a guts full .

bald bloke:

buses:

You’ve been working Fri to Tues for nearly 2 years ? :open_mouth: no wonder you’ve had a guts full .

It’s gone quick to be fair.But yep almost two years.

The problem for me is that I love fridge work.
Asda,waitrose,Aldi and can handle tesco
But at the moment I’m on for one supermarket only and it’s just repeat and repeat.
Miss self tipping at Aldi,doing trays etc.
But I reckon I will be going back to the other firm and get the said variety back

Worked for one of these so called blue chip companies for almost a year, best hourly rate I have ever earned in the last 15 years of driving for a living. But the job is a bit crap and lots of weekend working. My tipping point is approaching quickly.

Dimlaith:
Worked for one of these so called blue chip companies for almost a year, best hourly rate I have ever earned in the last 15 years of driving for a living. But the job is a bit crap and lots of weekend working. My tipping point is approaching quickly.

My best hourly rate has coincided with the worst wages I ever earnt (no o/t, flat rate) & worst shift pattern I have ever been on. It was also the most boring job I have done. This was a supermarket type gig.

That’s why I always say that hourly rate isn’t the be all and end all. I jacked and took a job with a lower hourly rate but 10 more hours a week, hours are at much more sociable times so i’m home when I want to be and I enjoy the job a lot more, plus i’m earning more money. Happy days.

I await castration for contributing to ruining the industry.

I worked on puddle jumpers at a certain food named electrical shop
Good pay 3 days off but 5 over 8 shift crap work and some of the drivers mates well a donkey would have been more help full
Now I do cat C tramping week ends off bank holidays off for £8.51 and never been happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work for a well known green coloured supermarket based in Avonmouth and the pay and conditions are excellent, the work is easy, I get nil hassle, we have a great canteen, gym and I could go on spouting about all the good things that I have but I wouldn’t say the job satisfies my driving needs in that I do miss the odd night out I used to have and therefore miss the distance work too but I can’t imagine I’ll ever leave though.

Random question - why aren’t people keen on supermarkets?

Honestly, it’s the easiest job I’ve ever had - collections are always the same location as the tip (collect their cages etc), wage is decent, and seem to spend a lot of time playing games on my phone! Most drops I’ve ever had in a day was 3, with no collections… Maybe it’s just me but unless it was fuel tanker work etc, I think I’d struggle to find an excuse to leave this sector!

If whatever you earn is enough to pay bills and have some left over, and you have a good work/home balance then the pay isnt really that important. Id rather do the job Im doing, dead easy work, easy going, in bed every night for 4am, decent colleagues on the whole, and no hassle off tm’s or warehouse staff. There are other better paying jobs out there but I dont want to be working 13-14 hour days or have nights out, or have to do any ‘hard work’!

Javiatrix:

Honestly, it’s the easiest job I’ve ever had - collections are always the same location as the tip (collect their cages etc), wage is decent, and seem to spend a lot of time playing games on my phone! Most drops I’ve ever had in a day was 3, with no collections… Maybe it’s just me but unless it was fuel tanker work etc, I think I’d struggle to find an excuse to leave this sector!

I very much enjoy my job and it’s really easy and I deliver to a large number of stores so I get variety but it’s just that I’d like to have a bit more of a challenge sometimes.

Javiatrix:

You don’t work for Aldi, or Lidl, then :grimacing:

Javiatrix:

I think it comes down to which contract you are on pal, as some are better than others…
So if you’ve got a good gig and you’re happy, good for you mate! :smiley:

It’s been said before by a few - if a supermarket RDC (one of the big four) opened near me I’d be in like Flynn but there is zero chance due to where I live.

Saying that though, I think I only want to do supermarket work for the t&c’s - I am far from the most experienced but I have done most of what I want out of this job regarding distance and variety. Certainly regarding what is readily available to do nowadays. I’d be bored to tears but with a nice wage and probably more time at home.

I just want as much money from as easy a job as possible.

Call it lazy (and in some respects you would be right) but I call it being efficient in my effort for obtaining reward. [emoji3]