Tipping on breaks

So. Im doing a run that the bosses say should take 1hr 30m but takes 1h 50m each way. Assuming no traffic, delays etc. Both drops takes 30 to 45 minutes. However that is my only run and they reckon pretty easy.

However i need to be back at base within 5hr 30m to make connections. My only quandry with the run is setting the tacho to break at each drop so i dont run out of time if delayed. Management request. Other drivers do it. This is probably why they get back early. :frowning:

I think iā€™m gonna lose this battleā€¦ Am i wrong?

Would you tip on your breaks or is this the slim line before iā€™m running bentā€¦

Are you doing the actual tipping? Or are you being tipped?

Iā€™m doing the actual tipping, and itā€™s not light stuff. Large bulky items or on a pallet truck.

Iā€™ve done it in the past in 5hrs 45m and once in 15m less but most the time it takes me 2h for the slog back; on the limiter. Itā€™s an 18t box truck. It wouldnā€™t be so bad but Iā€™ve always been bought up in the trucking side of things not to tip on breaks. More so because it is ā€˜unpaidā€™.

At the moment it is a 6 hour duty in an 8 hour paid day but eventually that will change as another duty is added making it a 8 hour day in a paid 8 hour day, so theyā€™re getting 45 minutes of my time.

The thing is, if I actually stop and take that break then Iā€™ll miss the scheduling window and probably even lose my job over it and at the moment there arenā€™t many jobs aroundā€¦

Dented:
The thing is, if I actually stop and take that break then Iā€™ll miss the scheduling window and probably even lose my job over it and at the moment there arenā€™t many jobs aroundā€¦

Get caught tipping while the tcaho is showing break and you could lose your licence for a while, not to mention a hefty fine for creating a false record. Your choice

Dented:
Iā€™m doing the actual tipping, and itā€™s not light stuff. Large bulky items or on a pallet truck.

Iā€™ve done it in the past in 5hrs 45m and once in 15m less but most the time it takes me 2h for the slog back; on the limiter. Itā€™s an 18t box truck. It wouldnā€™t be so bad but Iā€™ve always been bought up in the trucking side of things not to tip on breaks. More so because it is ā€˜unpaidā€™.

At the moment it is a 6 hour duty in an 8 hour paid day but eventually that will change as another duty is added making it a 8 hour day in a paid 8 hour day, so theyā€™re getting 45 minutes of my time.

The planning is too tight then! but they are paying you 2 hours for nothing at the moment

Dented:

Ask them to put in writing exactly what they want you to do

One of our depots had a VOSA spot check,in one month they found that there were over 150 cases of drivers tipping on break(50ish drivers at depot),now if your caught tipping on break your put onto a final warning straight away,Its illegal,just because you put the tacho on break doesnā€™t mean jack if you are working through it.
Its interesting that one company,DHL,will sack you for tipping on break but other actively encourage it.
Its your funeral fella,your place of work will deny asking you to tip on breakā€¦ask them to put it in writing for you that they are asking you to tip on break and see their response.lol.
If you get caught you will get fined or be banned for a period of time if they can prove you have done it countless times,youā€™ll be out of a job,your work will replace you and carry on regardless,leaving you to find another way to make a living minus your hgv licence,your choice fella.
Sent from my phone whilst on break and not tipping :smiley:

Understand the dilemma - but there really is no choice but to run properly.

If the management get stroppy, you can always meet them at the tribunal for unfair dismissal. And VOSA would be more than interested to hear from you. eg if they sacked you and someone else was foolish enough to tip during a break, VOSA would probably run a silent check. They are able to sit outside the premises with a camcorder and record the driver tipping. And then, guess what? Driver leaves premises and within a few minutes gets a VOSA stop. 45 minute break driver? ā€œYesā€ he lies. ā€œmaybe youā€™d like to watch this video with meā€

End of.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Screwed either way then. Its agency temp to perm and the perm is 25k for class 2ā€¦

Iā€™ll tip on a break if itā€™s a tanker and I just sit there while the load runs out, Iā€™ll class it as break if iā€™m parked in a parking bay waiting to be alloted a door to tip etc but if I have to do anything other than sit in the cab, including sitting in a waiting room, it ainā€™t a break for me.
Itā€™s too easy to get caught now. Almost every phone has a video and you would never notice you were being filmed, plus there is CCTV at most places you tip and VOSA could easily obtain a copy of any tapes they want.
Stand your ground but play safe.
He isnā€™t going to put that request in writing as others have asked, he might be a pushy git but I doubt heā€™s a complete ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , however, how about you prepare yourself for your next conversation about the situation by secretly recording it? Most phones have a half decent recorder or borrow a dictafone and ask the question again and state that you are not going to run bent when you are told to do it, then let them see you have taped it. You will be the best treated driver in the firm from that momentā€¦

Ahhh, just seen the agency bit.
yup, screwed. Still be tempted to record it and if there is no other work about, do it under duress but keeping the copy of the tape handy. That way, you could save yourself a bit of face if it ever did blow-up. Great job this driving larkā€¦

DoYouMeanMe?:
but if I have to do anything other than sit in the cab, including sitting in a waiting room, it ainā€™t a break for me.

Although it could be if someone wanted it to be, thatā€™s just your choice.

Just wanted to point that out as this is the Newbies forum.

On option I have thought up is to go in earlier than they want me, then I can pop the card in on other work, then after doing the walk around checks and filling the adblue tank (which would take about half an hour at that place!) take a break for 15m then do the driving stuff and if Iā€™m lucky can get the job done within one driving period. But itā€™s so close to the lineā€¦

When I was doing their other runs it wasnā€™t a problem as they were longer and I had the chance to take a break but not this one. I know of one driver who did it and wasnā€™t asked back from the agency again, and I can see his point now.

Weā€™ll see how it goes though. Still got more time on the Agency though and still have the money in the bank for when it goes [zb] up or to [zb] even worse.

Thank you for your words of advice, it is most reassuring in my situation :wink: Especially the vosa bit. Always nice to get a chill through the blood first thing in the morning (well, morning when you work nights).

Dented:
On option I have thought up is to go in earlier than they want me, then I can pop the card in on other work, then after doing the walk around checks and filling the adblue tank (which would take about half an hour at that place!) take a break for 15m then do the driving stuff and if Iā€™m lucky can get the job done within one driving period. But itā€™s so close to the lineā€¦

Breaks interrupt periods of driving, you cannot have a break from driving before you have done any so that wouldnā€™t work if you are going to do more than 4.5 hours in a shift. If you can move the truck before taking the break so it shows a minute or two driving then it is an option. What about the other 30 minutes?

Is the 4.5 hour driving thing not really an issue because you do less driving than that and you are only worried about the WTD? The 15 minutes break you want to take makes me think this is a WTD thing rather than the tacho rules. If so, donā€™t worry too much, no one is really enforcing it and there have been no prosecutions and as you are only doing 6 hours duty you donā€™t need a break anyway for the WTD.

If you are working less than 6 hours and your driving is less than 4.5 hours then you are fine, crack on and you donā€™t even need to switch it to break while tipping.

I am struggling with why you need any break within the first 6 hours ā€¦

If I have this correct you do about 0.5 hours vehicle checks then max 4 hours of driving and 1.5 hours of tipping within the first 6 hours?

Delays would take it over the period no doubt, roads and loading/unloading!

00:15 for checks etc
01:50 driving
01.30 for drops unloading (2 x 00:45)
01:50 driving
00:15 debrief

05:40 shift time
03:40 driving

No breaks required for WTD or EU.

To get back within 05:30 when there are delays of over 20 minutes (WTD) or 50 minutes (EU) canā€™t be done other than starting earlier or :bulb: getting your customer to tip for you for at least 15 minutes. Or if possible take 15/30 as soon as you get back then debrief. :bulb: You could fill ad blue when you get back.

Your on a very easy ride, and for 25k, can we swap :laughing:

MADBAZ:
ā€¦when there are delays of over 20 minutes (WTD) or 50 minutes (EU) canā€™t be doneā€¦

FTFY It would be 20 minutes not 5 minutes as the 15 minutes for the WTD doesnā€™t have to be taken within the 6 hours, just before exceeding 6 hours.

:blush: :blush:
Seen it just as I posted it, then deleted it, cheers coffee

Right. Lets see. Checking the logs from the last week Iā€™ve got a few figures for you.

1800-1812 - other work
1813-2015 - driving
2015-2044 - 1st drop
2044-2104 - driving to drop 2
2104-2214 - 2nd drop
2209-2359 - driving

Going back through the logs of which I have to hand hereā€¦ The return run is just over 2 hours. The outbound varies between 1hr 50m and 2h 20m dependning on outbound traffic.

First drop is between 15m and 45m and the second drop is usually about an hour or so, so the plan falls down and I get stuffed :frowning:

I see your points regarding the driving breaks and the like but I would think that if Iā€™m careful I might manage somehowā€¦ I think

Dented:
Right. Lets see. Checking the logs from the last week Iā€™ve got a few figures for you.

1800-1812 - other work
1813-2015 - driving
2015-2044 - 1st drop
2044-2104 - driving to drop 2
2104-2214 - 2nd drop
2209-2359 - driving

Going back through the logs of which I have to hand hereā€¦ The return run is just over 2 hours. The outbound varies between 1hr 50m and 2h 20m dependning on outbound traffic.

First drop is between 15m and 45m and the second drop is usually about an hour or so, so the plan falls down and I get stuffed :frowning:

I see your points regarding the driving breaks and the like but I would think that if Iā€™m careful I might manage somehowā€¦ I think

You might indeed, because the example you posted doesnā€™t need any breaks to be legal.

As long as you stay below 4.5 hours driving I wouldnā€™t worry too much as no one is really bothered with the WTD and if you have the odd shift with over 6 hours work the worst punishment will be a bit of education should it come to light.