Tippers

May have a chance to work C+E on tippers. Now, never used one; done lots of other stuff but not them.

Question - how hard is it to learn to operate the tipper ie can it be picked up in a couple of days?

Any pitfalls apart from obvious of tipping on gradients etc ?

Er… anything else? :blush: :slight_smile:

tipper work is a doddle, aslonga su remember to be on firm ground when tipping.

ive heard the c+e tippers are unstable when fully up if ur driving forward so thats something to probably watch for.if your really unsure about anything though just ask somebody im sure they will be happy to help.

i learnt all my tipping with hopoklifts and on uneven ground in landfill sites, its an experience tipping and u can feel the trucks not sitting level lol

like gogzy said its easy just make sure if your doing scrap to keep ya foot over the brake because it throws you forward and if your not ready for it you will need some new underpants :laughing:

Any advice that saves my underwear is worth it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TIPPERS/BULKERS are easy when you get the hang of them , like has been said keep on the flat as much as poss , watch out for obsticals up high such as trees , lights buildings overhanging and powerlines , but realy its common sense and ask before you struggle :slight_smile:

Oh and by the way you’ll get slated big style because tipper drivers are apparently lowest of the low and even if your hourly paid people will try to tell you that your paid percentage, all part and parcel of the job but treat them with the contempt they deserve and you’ll be fine :sunglasses:

i drive tippers and artics and its just common sence as other people have said and also watch your weight cos you can get overloaded easily

with the artic try to keep the trailer and unit as straight as poss and becareful with sticky loads like ash and sand can be a bit ropy on sites. hope it goes well.

tipperdriver:
i drive tippers and artics and its just common sence as other people have said and also watch your weight cos you can get overloaded easily

Cheers, and you Crispy. :slight_smile:

So do bulk tippers have load/weight sensors on them?

aye m8 most o them have on board weighers and most of the yards you will load at will have a bridge

Tipper work is mostly fairly easy but your load can be heavy.I had a brown trousers moment the first time that I was fully laden going down hill.Always be prepared to ask first and its not a race so ca canny.

I’ve done tippers/bulkers for the best part of 20 years and just getting a bit cynical I suppose , good job but tad dirty and dusty at times :exclamation: make that most of the time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Haven’t been offered a job there yet, just phone calls and chatting. But I thought I’d get soem thoughts from you guys that have done it befoe commiting myself to something I couldnt handle.

Worked milk tankers so I’ve had my share of BTM on down hills and bends. Taught me to be careful :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

And as you all say, if in doubt - ask

I do a fair bit of tipper work and you tend to find it’s muddy in the winter and dusty in the summer but at least you don’t have to worry about being asked to handball the load off :laughing:

As others have said you spend a lot of time at full weight so you’ll get used to going slowly up hills and quickly down them - your forward planning needs to be top notch for this or you’ll end up in trouble.

Lots of little roads going to/from farms too, depending on where you’re going it won’t take you long before you’re familiar with the diff lock, lift axle air dump switch and possibly even the towing eye when you get it properly stuck :wink:

As others have also said - be sure you’re on he level and on firm ground when you tip, especially if your load is likely to need the trailer high before it all comes out (stone or sand, for example, and sometimes stuff like wheatfeed). Grain isn’t too bad as you can usually get almost all of it out without needing to lift the body higher than about halfway.

It’s not everybodys cup of tea but I really enjoy it and spend most of the summer doing it.

Paul

tipperdriver:
aye m8 most o them have on board weighers and most of the yards you will load at will have a bridge

Depends what you are carrying. We do a lot of grain from farms and very few of them have weighbridges.

Different types of grain weigh a lot diffently
e.g. Oats …usually fill trailer to overflowing and youre still underweight
Wheat …3/4 trailer load and youre close to top weight

Oil Seed ■■■■… make sure your rear door seal is in good nick(runs like water)

Can be dirty work and some other truckers are under the misconception you are lower than a snakes ■■■ doing a limbo dance.

They are only jealous :laughing:

And remember to

INDICATE when you plan to pull back in after over taking another truck dont force your way in.

and

LEAVE more than a 3cm gap between my bumper and your back door when you do decide to pull in.

Before anyone sends the Calvary over the hill I know this is a really really small percentage of tipper drivers who give the other tippers drivers a bad name, but it may just be me but I don’t see many of them sadly.

The ones I do see (briefly) in my mirrors and 9/10 times over take me always want to barge their way in a the earliest opportunity with out giving me time to react. If they want to pull in fine, don’t have a problem with that, indicate and I will adjust my driving so you can pull in safely. As what I don’t like is the really small minority pulling in on my bumper then god forbid they find them selves slamming on the anchors to avoid something, leaving me next to no chance to react :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Most tippers seem to be capable of 58-60 in my opinion (my set speed 56) and they make good progress over taking so before any says it’s not a case of me keeping them in the other lane, they struggle to get past hence why the seem to pull in at the earliest oppurtunity because they don’t, they have the speed to over take fairly quickly just some seem to pull in way to earlier for some reason.

I won’t go on about how some behave on single carriage ‘A’ roads like the A17 towards kings lynn Friday morning, he must have had a death wish that’s all I can say :smiling_imp: :imp: :imp: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

rant over.
:smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

As said by others,mostly common sense,although if you’ve never tipped an artic before,it can be a bit intimidating how high it looks.
When tipping grain through the hatch,don’t start to tip until the flow starts to slow down,and then only tip sufficiently to keep the flow going.DON’T OPEN THE TAILGATE!,only to get the last few shovels full out.
When tipping scrap,it all tends to come out in a rush.I once did 20 tonnes of scrap lead over to Germany.The load was on a plastic sheet and didn’t take up more room than a few barrows full.On tipping,the body was almost on full tip before it moved,then it shot out and the rig shot forward about 20 feet,another good reason for being in a straight line before you tip!
As well as power /telephone lines/uneven ground/trees,take note of the weather, tipping side on to a stiff wind is not advisable.

last summer I did a few months on scrap for my old employer,and can remember the first time I tipped a full load of scrap steel at EMR in Landor st in B’ham.

the first BTM was on undoing the catches on the barn doors when a huge lump of steel decided it wanted out of the body as it forced the doors open,
and then when I started tipping, I thought it wasnt going to come out then as the body got almost to the top of the ram out it came and I had another BTM , as the wagon jumped forward

wouldnt mind going back on the tippers once the economy picks up

In the past I have bend tail-boards tipping fine sand with an artic, it tends to get stuck, tip body up fully and wait for bulk to come out then lower body halfway down and pull forward before raising body fully again. Trying to shake it out and reversing back over the main heep has bent the tail-board. No problems with barn doors other than lost a load of shimps once through the barn doors in Plymouth and got done £300 plus points .

toowise:

tipperdriver:

Depends what you are carrying. We do a lot of grain from farms and very few of them have weighbridges.

Different types of grain weigh a lot diffently
e.g. Oats …usually fill trailer to overflowing and youre still underweight
Wheat …3/4 trailer load and youre close to top weight

Oil Seed ■■■■… make sure your rear door seal is in good nick(runs like water)

Can be dirty work and some other truckers are under the misconception you are lower than a snakes ■■■ doing a limbo dance.

They are only jealous :laughing:

You forgot Linseed! Just like a load of unbaffled water!

Well thanks for all the feedback guys, certainly gave me a lot to think about…
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: tipping over :open_mouth: load rushing out :open_mouth: level ground :open_mouth: power lines :open_mouth:

Nah, seriously… it was good of you all to share some of the pitfalls and joys of bulk work.

The company in question hired someone this morning but I am still on file should one of the many things listed above occur :slight_smile:

Shall keep trying before the greenbacks run out :open_mouth: :smiley: