tipped trailer

this happened at the Glasgow depot as they unloaded the trailer, just before i got there so the guy passed me the foto via bluetooth. I never thought it was possible, i’ve seen a drag trailer do it before but not a semi trailer? :confused:

thats why a lot of transport companies use tressles in their distribution depots, imagine it happening with the trailer backed onto a loading bay and a fork lift truck and it’s driver in the back.

i’ve seen it happen many times and have sometimes refused to drop trailers if i have thought it could happen as i tried to pull out, i’ve also refused to drop them if the front is a lot heavier and there could be the risk of the trailer tipping up as it’s offloaded from the back.

in this case the flt driver unloading from the side should have taken some of the pallets off the front first and more importantly the driver of the truck should have pointed it out to the flt driver.

johnny:
thats why a lot of transport companies use tressles in their distribution depots, imagine it happening with the trailer backed onto a loading bay and a fork lift truck and it’s driver in the back.

i’ve seen it happen many times and have sometimes refused to drop trailers if i have thought it could happen as i tried to pull out, i’ve also refused to drop them if the front is a lot heavier and there could be the risk of the trailer tipping up as it’s offloaded from the back.

in this case the flt driver unloading from the side should have taken some of the pallets off the front first and more importantly the driver of the truck should have pointed it out to the flt driver.

The frightening thing is Johnny is that if the trailer had gone to Radlett depot it would of been unloaded on a bay, also the trailer was weighed upon leaving the depot and was not (technically) over it axle weight limits.
I’ve only ever seen tressles usd on containers.

On my first job when I was a trainee manger for Atlas Express I was unloading a box trailer with a sack barrow and next thing u know I couldn’t stand up and all I could see was the rafters of the shed. The trailer had lifted and the back end got caught in the loading bay roof, It was in the 76 summer and it took them 3 hours to get me out i must have lost 3 stone in sweat.

They sent me home and put me on light duties for next fortnight, which was riding shotgun on a trunker

Take your time , hourly paid, no need to speed.

Merlin

if the weight at the front is more than at the rear of the trailer
it will tip, and sorry one does not have to be Einstein
to realise this, give the FLT driver a boot up the rear as you
show him the gate, sorry no excuse for this to happen at
all, surely these drivers aare trained how to load and
unload the different types of trailer/container,if not why not
where is the so called risk/assement or H&S expert which
firms are supposed to either carry out or employ,

brit pete:
if the weight at the front is more than at the rear of the trailer
it will tip, and sorry one does not have to be Einstein
to realise this, give the FLT driver a boot up the rear as your
show him the gate, sorry no excuse for this to happen at
all, surely these drivers aare trained how to load and
unload the different types of trailer/container,if not why not

Well “strictly” speaking you are correct about if it weighs more at the front it will tip, but in practice Pete, it is common for standing trailers to be loaded with pallets, even say heavy pallets of booze or something and they load them headboard first and they don’t tip whilst being loaded. But obviously something extreme (weightwise) has happened here, i’m not certain if it was loaded on a bay or side loaded as they do both. This picture taken by the way is it being “tipped” pardon the pun!!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: I thought it might be possible, but haven’t seen it before… !!!

That’s a hell of a fulcrum… !! Would the legs be OK… ■■?

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

The legs are bent.

Also seen this happen to a tanker which was filled with water for FTA inspection. The front pots were filled first resulting in the same type of accident.

Mike-C:
Well “strictly” speaking you are correct about if it weighs more at the front it will tip, but in practice Pete, it is common for standing trailers to be loaded with pallets, even say heavy pallets of booze or something and they load them headboard first and they don’t tip whilst being loaded. But obviously something extreme (weightwise) has happened here, i’m not certain if it was loaded on a bay or side loaded as they do both. This picture taken by the way is it being “tipped” pardon the pun!!

They load them free standing with some ballast weight at the rear . If you loaded free standing trailers with 28t of booze or any other upto 1T a piece products starting from the headboard by the time you got to the legs it would tip up . It’s a big no-no at Tradeteam and it’s an sackable offence for a forkie if they do not load/unload to procedure and tip a trailer.
Also if the driver has no weight past the legs and it is likely the trailer will tip ,some of the load has to be moved to the rear to balance the trailer out .
Again sackable offence if a driver drops a trailer that will tip and imbeds the nose in the floor .
Its worth remembering , they will tip up if it ain’t balanced .

Mike is it from Preston Brook?, I assume it is with all them “pinks” at the front.

hes mostlikley in bed asleep or to making sure that drivers hav handed there keys to the office and are wearing there bubble wrap suits and that the trailer in question had its wheels chocked and parking brake applied :laughing:

I think it will become more common, trailers are getting lighter so the load can get heavier…

Same with us Paul can load up to 30t with 22gl kegs always put a couple of lifts on axles before they start at the front :bulb: :bulb:

Well “strictly” speaking you are correct about if it weighs more at the front it will tip

Not true, a small pallet at the end of the trailer will do more to stop it tipping than one twice as heavy next to the legs !!!

G

And heres one I prepared earlier…well actually a few months ago - 5am and got told to unhitch unit from trailer - was told it was empty and ready to be dropped - pulled forward, heard an almighty bang, looked in mirror and saw this…

So it can happen to anyone - only time I have ever done anything like this in 11years of class 1 driving - only took a couple of fork lifts to get it back on the ground!!!

was the load strapped …it was … ok carry on

paul@midway:

Mike-C:

They load them free standing with some ballast weight at the rear . If you loaded free standing trailers with 28t of booze or any other upto 1T a piece products starting from the headboard by the time you got to the legs it would tip up . It’s a big no-no at Tradeteam and it’s an sackable offence for a forkie if they do not load/unload to procedure and tip a trailer.
Also if the driver has no weight past the legs and it is likely the trailer will tip ,some of the load has to be moved to the rear to balance the trailer out .
Again sackable offence if a driver drops a trailer that will tip and imbeds the nose in the floor .
Its worth remembering , they will tip up if it ain’t balanced .

Well i’ve loaded plenty of heavy stuff with Stobarts,Malcolms,and in Tradeteam at Knowsley and loads more places i can’t remember and i’ve never seen a trailer weighted at the back before loading, (even when not using the pull out headboard).Of course what you say is the right way to doit but i’ve never seen it done that way.

jammymutt:
Mike is it from Preston Brook?, I assume it is with all them “pinks” at the front.

Yeah it was.

Gazzareth:

Well “strictly” speaking you are correct about if it weighs more at the front it will tip

Not true, a small pallet at the end of the trailer will do more to stop it tipping than one twice as heavy next to the legs !!!

G

The quotes around “strictly” where put there for a reason.

hitch:
was the load strapped …it was … ok carry on

It was all unstrapped prior to unloading. But as you will know, straps won’t prevent the trailer hitting the floor :wink:

You won’t see free standing trailers with full weight kegs on the front upto the legs with no ballast at the back because the trailer will be up in the air .
Trust me …
You will see empty kegs being loaded on free standing trailers from the headboard back .Not full’s the trailer will be up in the air .

You can always have a go if you like :laughing:

Looking at the picture it appears the load is double and maybe triple stacked in places. I’m assuming the forkie has tipped the rest of the load. He should have taken the top layers off first. :confused:

Quick edit it might be the other way round? That is it’s being loaded (although I don’t think so from other posts) same thing though.