TIP Trailers

image.jpg

Since I have a bad habit of hijacking threads when I’m reminded of something, I’ll start a new one on this. :blush:

Thanks Rdnichols for the Photo.

I remember hiring a TIP trailer, perhaps 72 or 73. I think quite a few of their fleet were American in origin. They looked like this one, with the ribbing on the outside. Mine was an ordinary 40’ van, not a step frame, but had marker lights all over it, which our trailers didn’t.

We had two white lights at the front, a light in the middle, with a half and half white and red lens, and tail lights.

I was dropping it on one of the first lay-bys on the A65, to get a flyer home to Barrow when the Plod pulled in. He was absolutely appalled at the little orange markers, all round the sides and duplicated round the roof.

He said it looked like Christmas and insisted it couldn’t be legal. I made the mistake of saying I thought it was american. ‘We don’t want this rubbish over here’ he said.

‘You can take all those lights off it before you set off in the morning’ .

I agreed that I would and went home.

I loved it! I didn’t take the markers off it!

John

For years this old Dutch Scanny 142 with Estepe roof and step-frame TIP tilt stood derelict (captured by Moroccan customs) in the import parking in Tangier’s old port. That trailer could have told some tales! Robert :laughing:

Here some input out of the TIP-binder with specs on the Strick Step Deck Van

I remember the Antwerp branch at the Zomerweg in the port were an obsolete bleu/white AEC-Bollekens Mandator TG was the shunter on duty (early eighties). Sorry no picture :frowning:

I did a bit of casual driving for TIP during the recession in the early eighties when you couldn’t even buy a job. They had a yard for a while in Haydock, close by the east lancs road. I was running trailers out to customers and collecting them off hire and the job suited me fine. They were looking to hire a full time driver and I asked to be considered for the position. Unfortunately for me, they wanted a driver/mechanic, so that was me out of the running. Speaking of hijacking threads, you probably won’t remember me John, but I drove for Pritchett Bros in the seventies when you were subcontracting for them. I drove the only Big J on the fleet, 6LXB, not 8LXB before anybody asks, the rest of the motors were S40 Fodens and forward control 1418 Mercs leased off Trevor Rac. You might remember Bob Horrocks, he was another subbie at about the same. Anyway enough of that for now but if you want to open a new thread about hauliers around the Ashton in Makerfield area, I could probably make a contribution.

Hi Eddie ,I knew Trevo,r and his Dad and Alan very well they ran a load of Tks, Traders ,and Bmc s ,on for Thomas ,Crompton nuts and Bolts ,Some on Sankey Sugar ,did a lot of Dealing ,and leased some FODEN UNITS to Pritchetts , the also had a owner Driver had a red Albion on hire to Smithes of ecles ,they also had aFitter who had thick specs ,new his onions ,his name has gone at the min ,just a bit of useless info ,Cheers Barry

First of all I need to apologise to Mr. West for going off topic but yes, you’re right Barry, they had a fair old fleet of four wheelers running out of Crompton’s, but that was back in the 50’s and 60’s mainly, a little bit before my time. Something that may be of interest to your good self though, back in about 1980, I was doing a bit of driving for a lad called J.P. McKenna, carting bag muck out of Burscough to farms all over the country. The motor I was using was a six wheeler ERF with a flatbed that seemed a bit too long for the chassis. I was informed that it had formerly been a Sutton’s tanker. I don’t recall the reg. but the interesting thing is that it was purchased from J.W.Ratciffe. and it was painted in your livery with Waddy’s Bagillt all over the doors. Maybe you remember the motor? Getting back to the original thread though, and I’d completely forgotten this, I remember taking a rented TIP flat trailer down to Chiswick for Pritchett’s one time, and you’re right John, this was U.S. spec. with the wierd wheel fittings, all the orange lights down the sides and the hump in the middle of the flat. I remember having difficulty getting the red line on at Ashton. Anyhow as I was dropping down to Watford Gap services, the red line flew off, obliterating the M1 in a cloud of white smoke and probably causing skid marks on surfaces other than the Tarmac. To anyone who is reading this and was behind me on that fateful morning, I offer my most sincere apologies. Incidentally Barry, the name of the mechanic you’re thinking of was George Bryan, he worked for Bill for a long time and he really was a top bloke.

Hi Eddie,

Delighted to hear your comments. No problem about hijacking the thread, as said, one thought leads to another.

I will start a new thread and add more memories from that time, but it won’t be today, I’m supposed to be working. Some characters on Pritchetts, weren’t there!

John

Hi, Eddie ,Your spot on that E R F ,we bought from Bill Ratcliff, with the clutch slipping ,we a new clutch in , painted it but never ran it , it went back Bills, we new John mcenna well he had a load TIMe , Green tankers ,E RF ,and ATKIS ,A LONG time ag o, happy times Eddie , Cheers Barry ,

Hi Barry, I’m afraid we’re making a right dog’s dinner out of John’s thread and for that I can only apologise once more, but I just wanted to say that I have quite a number of old photos from way back featuring Rac’s yard, the wagons, and some of the characters that used to hang about there. You might find them interesting if only I knew how to get them up on here. Unfortunately my talents only extend as far as driving a wagon. If anyone out there can offer some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Eddie.

HI ,EDDIE ,MYdad and BILL became verey pally and we were in the yard quite often , what is Alan and Trevor and John Mc, up to now i think John moved over to Cheshire ,near Oulton Park ,Cheers Barry ,

We had a US built TIP fridge in the late 80’s. A widespread with Trilex wheels.There was some problem with an axle and it was off the road for a while waiting for parts from the USA so the regular driver told me, and he wasn’t one for telling the tale, I only used it once and it seemed like any 40 footer with a UK type tail lift. I remember going into that dump TIP had on Barton Dock Rd and to CTR just a bit further down towards Kellogs. Then TIP moved to Carrington, a lot better and CTR to Salford ,then I believe TIP bought CTR. I don’t know wether we have any TIP now but the couple of times their fitters came out to me they were always clued up, friendly and efficient.

Little bit of TIP history:

I started with TIP back in 1969 when they opened their first UK depot in West Thurrock, they were a massive U.S. based trailer rental company (Transport International Pool) and already had one European depot in Rotterdam.

It was a case of being in that being in the right place at the right time, with a new concept for the transport industry, along with competitor Rentco - another US company who teamed up with Crane Fruehauf. I was the first salesman and three members of staff basically operated from our homes until opening up a proper depot in West Thurrock, nr Tilbury.

John West and ERF are quite correct about U.S. built trailers in UK - there was an association with Strick Trailers and box vans, stepframe box vans and fridges were shipped to UK but had US specifications, i.e. wide spread axles with Trailex style wheels set well back, two line air system with palm couplings and a long kingpin position, side doors on wrong side obviously and US lighting specs etc etc., which often caused legal questions but, of course, trailers weren’t registered or even subject to an MOT inspection in those days !

Initially TIR tilt type trailers were sent from Netherlands depot, Pacton, Van Hool & Trailor mainly and we then went on to purchase UK built equipment from Peak Trailers, Taskers and Cravens Holmalloy (before they merged). At that time U.K. had just joined the " Common Market " trade agreement and European road transport really took off, with many companies renting to obtain use of TIR tilt trailers.
So, a varied trailer fleet was operated initially but eventually scourced to TIP UK specification, which included Rubery Owen running gear with oil filled hubs and hubodometers, Jost landing legs and dual position kingpins.

The reception was terrific, by the 2nd year of operation we had over 750 trailers available and after three years over 2000 in UK ! Early major customers I recall ACT, ACL & OCL (container companies), G.L.Baker, MartinTrux, Browns Transport, SECH, J B Woodcock, Halls of Sidcup (Tilbury) and many more, even Astran.

Expansion in UK took off with other depots being opened and also other European bases in Amsterdam, Antwerp and Gothenburg, all of which I had some involvement in - exciting times but I took off later to do my own thing !

Nice clarification and input OzzyHugh! TIP started in 1966 and indeed Rotterdam was the first European-
location in 1968. TIP was an important part of the GELCO-company (now GE or General Electric) and a
very nice detail (GELCO also having a big financial advantage, just like Rentco, Penske, Ryder) is that
you could purchase trailers (mostly low-mileage as could be checked by the axle-mileage-counter) at low
prices as well. Many operators had TIP as their long term partner, even in your livery but to be recognized
by the blue-painted chassis. I will later scan some info on the UK-locations and some trailer-specs.

Scan of the overview on several European TIP-locations. In the beginning of the eighties TIP had 60 locations
and I visited the Venlo-branch with impressive and professional activities. Not merely trailer-rental though.

From a logistic point of view it was very interesting to rent with TIP as their fleet of more than 16 types
of trailers enabled you to remain smart.

Suppose you had to load a transformation-unit in Charleroi and unload in Antwerp, you could first unload
your normal trailer in Antwerp-region, station that trailer at TIP, pick up the low-bed, do your thing at
Charleroi, unload at Antwerp, pick up your own trailer and do a loading again. Same with container-chassis
and even the nice combination of flat-trailers with twistlocks or even coil-carriers with twistlocks. Endless
combinations in case you had diverse loads…

Interesting stuff Ozzyhugh and ERF-Continental.

You’re right about the mixed fleet. Rentco seemed to have only vans and later some tilts, but that may be my selective memory.

John

@John…I think/assume that TIP (with GELCO as a very rich parent-company) had more diversity and freedom
to show bargain power at Freight Bonallack, Tasker, Pacton, Groenewegen, and for sure within the US-region
with Strick, Comet, etc…whereas RENTCO was more restricted to own FRUEHAUF-products.

As a result many trailer-manufacturers started own rental services followed by several tractive suppliers

Hi!

A friend of mine is going to restore a Trailer in original Rentco colors (with the old brown/silver color sheme).
Does someone over here have some pictures from yesteryear or maybe the old original Ral-code of the paint?
That would be really great!

Thanks in advance!
Jörg

Scania141LBS:
Hi!

A friend of mine is going to restore a Trailer in original Rentco colors (with the old brown/silver color sheme).
Does someone over here have some pictures from yesteryear or maybe the old original Ral-code of the paint?
That would be really great!

Thanks in advance!
Jörg

More yellow than brown, I think; but here’s one. Robert

c series rent trl.jpg