TIP Trailers

Hi Robert,

thanks a lot for that Image, but it seems that the rentco-trailers had a different Color sheme in Britain and Germany.
The ones in Germany had the Color like on the pics in that link:

ivecofahrer.skyrock.com/30182087 … 10-12.html

Not many to find on Google :angry:

From the Fruehauf-book which I got many years ago
of our representative in Binche these two pages.

Very poor photo,

But is a rentco trailer, Fruehauf over the front and rentco down the side, photo from around 1987 in Berlin, birkarts yard. Me dad used to run a drop and swap deal with Birkarts partner with autocontex, he was one of the few hauliers that, at the time had the corridor permits, allowing his motors to transit through east Germany,

Thanks for the Pictures, especially the first one is very useful.
It seems that only the german Chassis were painted in Brown like the canvas.
Maybe someone has a pic of a german trailer to Show.

Regards!
Jörg

It’s about TIP but I’ll drop some Rentco-pictures in this thread too.

TIP had a by far better coverage in Europe than Rentco and that
didn’t change much after Rentco and CT formed CT-R.

A present for SCANIA LBS with a special cover on Rentco

ERF-Continental:
Scan of the overview on several European TIP-locations. In the beginning of the eighties TIP had 60 locations
and I visited the Venlo-branch with impressive and professional activities. Not merely trailer-rental though.

Before they moved to Bradford they rented the bottom yard at Archbolds Morley Leeds . We also maintained the trailers for them . This would be the early 70s .

Macadam-woman:
It’s about TIP but I’ll drop some Rentco-pictures in this thread too.

TIP had a by far better coverage in Europe than Rentco and that
didn’t change much after Rentco and CT formed CT-R.

A present for SCANIA LBS with a special cover on Rentco

Hey Macadam,

We here in Zeebruges had it difficult to rent a trailer beginning the '70’s, before there was no need for renting trailers, because Zeebruges and English didn’t exist yet.
So we did a bit repair and had some trailers in the yard for hauliers to rent one
here in West Flanders for ICS Antwerp.
Bad pic at the depôt about '72±
Eric,

Haha, that takes me back (the step-frame box). We had an identical trailer at Concorde in the 80’s - it was called the “Pig Pen”, being so old , battered and smelly. Despite that, we shifted some rare and expensive Fords in it. It was all US-spec - I always wondered where it had come from - now I know!

Wincanton at Maltby hired a few TIP fridges out of Knottingley depot and we had nowt but trouble with them,flat batteries,gas leaks etc… My mate was going to get this one loaded but it had a flat battery. He forgot about them being 12v and shoved 24v through it whereupon it went bang and blew to bits.He was lucky not to have been hurt what with bits of plastic and acid flying about.

Yesterday we brought the 1984 Kässbohrer home with my Scania.
In the next month it will be restored in Rentco-Colors and be pulled by a Volvo F12 Globetrotter which is still under restoration.

That 141 is an absolute beauty. And your Flickr site is great too!

Good luck with the trailer restoration.

John.

Hi John,

thanks a lot!
Hopefully there will be no surprises during the dismantling.

Jörg

Scania141LBS:
Hi John,

thanks a lot!
Hopefully there will be no surprises during the dismantling.

Hey Jorg, nice nice trailer :smiley:
Bought this some months ago, 1976 DAF trailer.

Jörg

DSCN3484.JPG

Hi Eric,

your wide-spread looks good, but maybe you could post some better pictures somewhere because there is not much to see of it.
Think this is your third Trailer, isn’t it? What’s with your reefer?

Unfortunately the Kässbohrer is not mine. It belongs to a friend of mine but we will restore it together during the next months.
I can use it when ever i want, so the Rentco-Capture makes sense even today :smiley:

Cheers!
Jörg

Scania141LBS:
Hi Eric,

your wide-spread looks good, but maybe you could post some better pictures somewhere because there is not much to see of it.
Think this is your third Trailer, isn’t it? What’s with your reefer?

Unfortunately the Kässbohrer is not mine. It belongs to a friend of mine but we will restore it together during the next months.
I can use it when ever i want, so the Rentco-Capture makes sense even today :smiley:

Cheers!
Jörg

Hey, if you can use it, that’s fine.
Make some more pics, if she is back again, she’s still for use factory to factory. Wide spread, springs and double tyres.
Is not so good looking but has a good tandem, floor and chassis. Doors and sheet has gone, for restoration it needs a lot of work.
Lot’s of arrears with the reefer, because of the other which i have to do for shunting.

Eric,