Time to try again at Apex?

After a long time away. I am looking for some advice and mainly what other people think. The gist is i took my training and test for Cat C in Oct. The very very brief (i could go on for pages) summary of my training is… first day i started late, trainer wanted ■■■ breaks, asked how much experience i had, none was answer so his response was ok lets go for a drive :confused:

Then after 2 days i had different trainer who would sit in silence and rather than help with tips would pick on every little fault i done. Did not practise any of reversing until the 3rd afternoon, though passed reverse on my test.

Needless to say i failed my test and confidence took a dent. So i am thinking of going again a full course at Apex in Peterborough.

Have people had experience of these and they got MAN training vehicles rather than Scania which i learned in before… is there anu difference? Finally the reverse area and test routes. What are they like in Peterborough?

Thanks folks any help advice is most welcome

JASCAMBS:
After a long time away. I am looking for some advice and mainly what other people think. The gist is i took my training and test for Cat C in Oct. The very very brief (i could go on for pages) summary of my training is… first day i started late, trainer wanted ■■■ breaks, asked how much experience i had, none was answer so his response was ok lets go for a drive :confused:

Then after 2 days i had different trainer who would sit in silence and rather than help with tips would pick on every little fault i done. Did not practise any of reversing until the 3rd afternoon, though passed reverse on my test.

Needless to say i failed my test and confidence took a dent. So i am thinking of going again a full course at Apex in Peterborough.

Have people had experience of these and they got MAN training vehicles rather than Scania which i learned in before… is there anu difference? Finally the reverse area and test routes. What are they like in Peterborough?

Thanks folks any help advice is most welcome

To be fair mate you probably fall within the 70 mile distance for Peter Smythe to put you up in a BnB, you’ll get great training there it’s well worth having a conversation with Peter. I passed mine there (Mansfield) and I’m based in Birmingham.

As said, if you’re more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW, you get free accommodation. CAT C is £1260 fully inclusive. Can be done over 5 days 1:1 or over a weekend with test Monday 1:1. Average fleet age approx. 2 years. Fully trained, qualified and NVDIR registered instructor. Test on site.

Alternatively, you could go with our new acquisition, Darren Shaw Training. This is based between Chesterfield and Sheffield near A61. Here you have the same choices; your test may still be at PSTT or at Nottingham test centre. Either way, you’ll be familiar with the routes. Vehicle is a top spec DAF XF auto, 4 years old. Cost is £1050 fully inclusive, free Mod 4 training and test. No accommodation included.

So you have a couple of viable options there that come highly recommended.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter - is it 70 miles radius or 70 road miles :question:

We work on road miles. And sometimes folks have to go the pretty way to qualify!

Having run the scheme for some years now, we’ve a fair idea of where is in scope and perhaps where isn’t.

Peter Smythe:
As said, if you’re more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW, you get free accommodation. CAT C is £1260 fully inclusive. Can be done over 5 days 1:1 or over a weekend with test Monday 1:1. Average fleet age approx. 2 years. Fully trained, qualified and NVDIR registered instructor. Test on site.

Alternatively, you could go with our new acquisition, Darren Shaw Training. This is based between Chesterfield and Sheffield near A61. Here you have the same choices; your test may still be at PSTT or at Nottingham test centre. Either way, you’ll be familiar with the routes. Vehicle is a top spec DAF XF auto, 4 years old. Cost is £1050 fully inclusive, free Mod 4 training and test.

So you have a couple of viable options there that come highly recommended.

Hi Pete,

I did speak to you when i first joined on here. The reason i could and cannot take you up on the offer is my gf has a disabled child. This affects everyday life so i need to be home nights and why would only be interested in Cat C and so home every night

I do recall now. You’ll understand I post replies to many folks and that, combined with old age and driver trainers’ confusion, means that I sometimes make a mistake.

Apologies if I’ve caused any upset.

I went for an assessment at apex a couple of years ago.

Wasn’t very impressed with the instructor and after he struggled to get the truck in reverse I wasn’t keen on the vehicle either

I took the “long way” to Pete’s for both C and C&E residential after that.

I don’t know if Priestley’s at Wisbech might be an option for you? Not used them personally but I know a couple of guys who have who seemed happy with the service there

Edit to add, I didn’t test at Peterborough but my friend who did said that there are some tight turns to get round. You also don’t want early or late tests as it’s awkward getting out of the roundabouts sometimes

Peter Smythe:
I do recall now. You’ll understand I post replies to many folks and that, combined with old age and driver trainers’ confusion, means that I sometimes make a mistake.

Apologies if I’ve caused any upset.

Absolutely no need to apologise Pete. I would be at your’s in a shot if the option was available and you was local

kcrussell25:

Wasn’t very impressed with the instructor and after he struggled to get the truck in reverse I wasn’t keen on the vehicle either

I don’t know if Priestley’s at Wisbech might be an option for you? Not used them personally but I know a couple of guys who have who seemed happy with the service there

Edit to add, I didn’t test at Peterborough but my friend who did said that there are some tight turns to get round. You also don’t want early or late tests as it’s awkward getting out of the roundabouts sometimes

Thank you for all the advice, much much appreciated!! :slight_smile: Priestley’s is another option. The only thing i would say is i don’t think they have a test centre and so test in Peterborough anyway? I think both training trucks are 07 plate MAN’s

JASCAMBS:

kcrussell25:

Thank you for all the advice, much much appreciated!! :slight_smile: Priestley’s is another option. The only thing i would say is i don’t think they have a test centre and so test in Peterborough anyway? I think both training trucks are 07 plate MAN’s

Yes the test will be in Peterborough. I don’t know about the vehicles sorry

kcrussell25:

JASCAMBS:

kcrussell25:

My last post did not make complete sense! I meant i see Apex it seems have 2 MAN 07 plate trucks

JASCAMBS:

kcrussell25:

JASCAMBS:

kcrussell25:

My last post did not make complete sense! I meant i see Apex it seems have 2 MAN 07 plate trucks

No problems but I would suggest an assessment drive before you part with the cost of the full course. Not much considering the total and gives you a chance to check the vehicle and the instructor

JASCAMBS:
Hi Pete,

I did speak to you when i first joined on here. The reason i could and cannot take you up on the offer is my gf has a disabled child. This affects everyday life so i need to be home nights and why would only be interested in Cat C and so home every night

Probably that’s stupid idea. But have you considered “holiday” with your partner and child around Pete’s school? Maybe some cheap B&B there for week or weekend ? You could train with great school and partner and child could have some nice few days off and you would be with them as well in between training. Which probably would save you money in long term. Instead go to driving schools, where you will spend money and regret later.

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

kalim:

JASCAMBS:
Hi Pete,

Probably that’s stupid idea. But have you considered “holiday” with your partner and child around Pete’s school? Maybe some cheap B&B there for week or weekend ? You could train with great school and partner and child could have some nice few days off and you would be with them as well in between training. Which probably would save you money in long term. Instead go to driving schools, where you will spend money and regret later.

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

Thank you for the suggestion but that option is unavailable because would need to pack so much and not know where Dr’s and hospital aee in case of emergency. Why i am so keen to find out the best school local-ish to me and info about the trucks, trainers and test rotues and hopefully pass this time

There must be really something exceptional about this training centre as people would pack stuff and families for that :wink:

dead.duck:
There must be really something exceptional about this training centre as people would pack stuff and families for that :wink:

I did the residenal there and viewed it as a working holiday.

They have good trucks and instructors. On top of that it’s a quiet area compared to Peterborough and most others which helps getting used to the vehicle.

Price was similar if not cheaper than apex, can’t remember now

Where in Cambs are you? If Irthlingborough isn’t too far to drive to I can very highly recommend Powerdriver

I passed C and CE with Apex and cant fault them. Also have done CPC,Forklift and First Aid there. I’m not sure what they use for C now as I see them riding about in some newer ones when I’m about town, the 2 MAN’s you are referring to are 07 and 09 plates ( I know as I did a test in both!!!).

Stussy:
Where in Cambs are you? If Irthlingborough isn’t too far to drive to I can very highly recommend Powerdriver

Hi Stussy, i am in the Wisbech/rurrounding villages area. Why i went to originally train in Kings Lynn was because the trainer had good reviews via FB and was only about 20mins drive away. Boy do i regret going there!!