Time to retrain

The end for is now in sight

youtube.com/watch?v=fxTQ6mh8l3w

I can’t even see the beginning.

try this youtube.com/watch?v=fxTQ6mh8l3w its tesla propaganda by the way

Not really relevant…to me.
My next truck will be a non automated cf,it’ll be run for 10 years,which will see me out.

commonrail:
My next truck will be a non automated cf,it’ll be run for 10 years,which will see me out.

Well thanks a bundle for making me envious (the gearbox :wink: ), my next lorry will be another bloody auto, which only has to last 3.5 years and ahm oot too :smiling_imp:

Heads up! To be able to compete post Brexit the government is buying into this tech big time with an eye on pontoon haulage needing one driver in the lead truck the others follow in suit driverless.
The writing in my view is on the wall.

Thats torn it, the autonomous zealot will be along soon to have discussions with his disciples.

Worried about people ■■■■■■■ other people’s money up the wall on stuff that won’t work here?, nope couldn’t give a toss, keeps the nerds amused and whilst they’re poncing about with stuff like this in non jobs, they ain’t designing nerve agents or electronic chips to put inside the skull.

Juddian:
Thats torn it, the autonomous zealot will be along soon to have discussions with his disciples.

Worried about people ■■■■■■■ other people’s money up the wall on stuff that won’t work here?, nope couldn’t give a toss, keeps the nerds amused and whilst they’re poncing about with stuff like this in non jobs, they ain’t designing nerve agents or electronic chips to put inside the skull.

It all kicked off on Bullys last week Juddian, on auto/breakfast tv thread, you missed most of it…even I was sticking up for you. :laughing:

robroy:

Juddian:

It all kicked off on Bullys last week Juddian, on auto/breakfast tv thread, you missed most of it…even I was sticking up for you. :laughing:

Much obliged to me learned fiend.

I did see your post by the way :laughing: at the cyanide quip :smiling_imp: , how many times you can tell the obsessed that the rest of us don’t really care all that much, even the youngest lads here can still be driving whatever passes for a lorry as long as they want to, so long as they can put up with the gridlock when road movements are servicing the needs of twice the population when we started.

Things have always changed, our lorry job has changed massively even in our time at the wheel, at the moment we’ve got more chiefs than indians (if that phrase hasn’t become a capital offence overnight :unamused: ) each of whom is desperate to justify their non jobs so come up with more ■■■■■■■■ to do so, but that unhappy state of affairs will be changing soon as the next downturn arrives and genuine cost cutting is needed, and those of us that’s been around a while can feel its already starting.

The future isn’t set, and this is nothing to do with Brexit (not as a real full so called hard Brexit was ever meant to happen, nor will those who own the country or its politicians allow it to be so), no one can predict exactly what the future course of anything will be, one set of experts goes on to be discredited by the next batch.
Those old enough will recall 40 years ago we were heading into a new ice age, that morphed onto global warming, when that didn’t work out, they renamed the movement climate change, and funnily enough some of the ice age experts are still preaching but have changed tack and now sing from the current hymnsheet, and they’ll bend with the wind again when the next money making scam becomes reality.

Massive movements of people, sea changes in politics in various parts of the world, new alliances replacing those of yor, oil based fossil fuels becoming more scarce.
Our youngsters will see far greater changes than we have, we are witnessing the changes that present technology have brought in, i suspect they will see more in changes in the demographs of the world and the unforseen consequences when those demographs become too big to control.
Autonomous vehicle progress will be but a minor sideshow to what our grandchildren will have to worry about.

There thats cheered up a dreary Monday morn :laughing:

What an excellent idea, Pontoon Driving fantastic lets have one driver in charge of 10 vehicles, all ploughing along at 50mph when No.6 has a blow out, the lead driver is alerted that there’s a problem and a not so polite “well that’s torn it” is his response, his reactions need to be spot on, as the remains of the tyre fly into the path of No.7 which hits it with its front near side wheel causing the vehicle to swerve and drift across the carriageways.

Extreme admittedly but a possibility, the concept of autonomy won’t happen in the near future if at all, the way forward would be to allow the likes of Stan Robinson and Denby to bring the Dutch roadtrain idea to life.

jamdoms:
Heads up! To be able to compete post Brexit the government is buying into this tech big time with an eye on pontoon haulage needing one driver in the lead truck the others follow in suit driverless.

I don’t think you understand what platooning really is, Platooning is Level 3 autonomy, and the UK’s government interest in it has nothing to do with Brexit, there is investment in it from around the world.

The Tesla is not Autonomous, it is also level 3 at the most, many of the great innovations announced are already available in modern units.

You are also a bit behind the times as the Tesla has been discussed in great detail on this thread.

Juddian:

commonrail:

Well thanks a bundle for making me envious (the gearbox :wink: ), my next lorry will be another bloody auto, which only has to last 3.5 years and ahm oot too :smiling_imp:

When I say non automated,I mean i’ll still have to sit in it.
:stuck_out_tongue:

muckles:

jamdoms:

I don’t think you understand what platooning really is, Platooning is Level 3 autonomy, and the UK’s government interest in it has nothing to do with Brexit, there is investment in it from around the world.

The Tesla is not Autonomous, it is also level 3 at the most, many of the great innovations announced are already available in modern units.

You are also a bit behind the times as the Tesla has been discussed in great detail on this thread.

Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I’ve been in a ‘platooned’ truck…they still require drivers. The technology just allows them to follow one-another quite closely…but I’ve seen Italian trucks driving faster, closer on the autostrada.

The concept is flawed: the lead truck does the work, with those behind getting the benefit. So, unless an operator is sending 3 trucks off in the same direction all at once, the whole system will depend on the lead truck switching his wifi link on to help his competitors behind to save fuel. Can’t see that happening.

The concept is also not very suitable for British motorways: the junctions are too close together and any platoons that do form will be disrupted by traffic joining and leaving the motorway.

Like much of this ‘autonomous’ guff, it’s hype and hot air.

As said above: if the desire is to save fuel and reduce congestion then a 60-tonne 25.25m truck and trailer is the way to go…and the way most sensible nations in Europe have gone.

As ever, our stupid Government has backed the wrong horse.

I mentioned Brexit in relation to this technology because our government knows that we are now on a radical path of change and Brexit like it or not has hasten that change and one of the changes will be how we work and survive economically in the future ergo the embracing of level 2 and 3 vehicle tech which are all stepping stones to complete driverless vehicles and a big step towards “platooning” and if that is not a big nod to future proof your work options I don’t know what is.
No point in fooling ourselves the march of change is here and sticking your fingers in you ears wont stop you getting run over by a robot lol .

GasGas:

muckles:

jamdoms:

Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I’ve been in a ‘platooned’ truck…they still require drivers. The technology just allows them to follow one-another quite closely…but I’ve seen Italian trucks driving faster, closer on the autostrada.

The concept is flawed: the lead truck does the work, with those behind getting the benefit. So, unless an operator is sending 3 trucks off in the same direction all at once, the whole system will depend on the lead truck switching his wifi link on to help his competitors behind to save fuel. Can’t see that happening.

The concept is also not very suitable for British motorways: the junctions are too close together and any platoons that do form will be disrupted by traffic joining and leaving the motorway.

Like much of this ‘autonomous’ guff, it’s hype and hot air.

As said above: if the desire is to save fuel and reduce congestion then a 60-tonne 25.25m truck and trailer is the way to go…and the way most sensible nations in Europe have gone.

As ever, our stupid Government has backed the wrong horse.

Interesting experience, what sort of separation distance were you running? I believe they want it to go down to 6m for maximum fuel saving.

You have highlighted a couple of things I’ve banged on about for ages.
The first is that the lead truck uses more fuel than the following trucks up to 10% more depending on the separation distances, the last truck also loses out over the trucks in the middle of the platoon up to 5%, this is why it requires more of an infrastructure than just a few trucks with the capability to link with each other.

My understanding of the the concept is that trucks will join a motorway, autobahn and lock into a platoon. The trucks don’t have to belong to the same company or to be going to the same place, just need to be on the same section of road at the same time.
But the owner of the lead truck and last truck needs to be compensated for not saving as much fuel as the others, this needs a road infrastructure to monitor the trucks in the convoy and identify it position and owner and then have a payment system where some trucks are charged and other receive a fee. Doesn’t sound complex does it. :open_mouth: :laughing: but it is what’s being considered.

The second is what happens at junctions, the platoon has to increase separation distance, to about 50m I think, to allow other traffic to leave and enter the motorway, I can’t really see a platoon running round the M25 or many other UK motorways getting much chance of benefiting from the fuel saving of running close together.

Another issue if this system will be the protocols if the platooning is led by a light or high powered truck and one of the following trucks is heavy or low powered, does the platoon stick to the speed of the slowest on hills or does the platoon split or do they kick out the slow one and also at 6m even though it’s communicating with the lead truck, can a heavy truck stop or react as quickly as the truck in front?

And also each vehicle requires a driver and that driver must be able to intervene if the situation arises, will a driver who has been starring at the back of a trailer for many miles be able to re-take control and react rapidly to an emergency situation?

jamdoms:
I mentioned Brexit in relation to this technology because our government knows that we are now on a radical path of change and Brexit like it or not has hasten that change and one of the changes will be how we work and survive economically in the future ergo the embracing of level 2 and 3 vehicle tech which are all stepping stones to complete driverless vehicles and a big step towards “platooning” and if that is not a big nod to future proof your work options I don’t know what is.
No point in fooling ourselves the march of change is here and sticking your fingers in you ears wont stop you getting run over by a robot lol .

Brexit has nothing to do with it, these trails are going on in the US and in other parts of Europe in fact they’re far further ahead than the UK. The government is funding it because none of the truck manufacturers are not interested in paying themselves to test in the UK.

And as I’ve said platooning is a level 3 automation, not level 5,

Yes full automation will get here one day and we are going to see increasing levels of automation in many parts of our lives including in trucks, but there are many problems to overcome first for full automation of trucks, it’s not even a question of sticking a system developed for a car onto a truck, the dynamics of a truck are far different to a car. That’s not my opinion, but the opinion of the developers at Otto, who are working on this.

I’ve already up skilled, so not overly worried for myself.

jamdoms:
The end for is now in sight

youtube.com/watch?v=fxTQ6mh8l3w

You will notice that not anywhere at all Tesla mention anything about the unladen weight. If anyone could find it I’d love to know what it is.

I did the maths based on the Tesla S’s kerb weight and the weight of its battery pack and you’d need 10 tonnes of batteries to move a 44 tonne lorry 300 miles.

As for the automation part, it is being trialled in states like Nevada because they can’t make it work where there’s heavy rain, fog or snow.

muckles:

jamdoms:

Brexit has nothing to do with it, these trails are going on in the US and in other parts of Europe in fact they’re far further ahead than the UK. The government is funding it because none of the truck manufacturers are not interested in paying themselves to test in the UK.

Yes full automation will get here one day and we are going to see increasing levels of automation in many parts of our lives including in trucks, but there are many problems to overcome first for full automation of trucks, it’s not even a question of sticking a system developed for a car onto a truck, the dynamics of a truck are far different to a car. That’s not my opinion, but the opinion of the developers at Otto, who are working on this.

Methinks you protest a little too much, anyway good to know that you have up skilled so no worry there for your fellow man :smiley:
I still stand by my view that Brexit has and is playing a part in hastening this tech in the uk.
And since you have up skilled you have in fact validated my opening post.

jamdoms:

muckles:

jamdoms:

Methinks you protest a little too much, anyway good to know that you have up skilled so no worry there for your fellow man :smiley:
I still stand by my view that Brexit has and is playing a part in hastening this tech in the uk.
And since you have up skilled you have in fact validated my opening post.

We’ll have to differ on Brexit point of view.

I don’t protest, I’ve just done a lot of research on the subject, it interests me, the technology interests me, and the social consequences concern me.
I got further qualifications because I wanted too and because I got to an age where I realised that one failed medical or medical issue would mean a loss of my livelihood.

400 mile range… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …thats all…