Time to retrain

AndrewG:
400 mile range… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …thats all…

Been through this before 400miles range is probably ok for a Day Cabbed truck (which the Tesla is) returning to base each day, the question is can Tesla deliver it, especially when they can’t give a payload or purchase price or firm delivery date. Estimates in the EV industry reckon for that range and charging capacity it will require 8.5 tonnes of batteries as a cost of $200,000 on top of the cost of the truck.
There are other manufacturers well on the road to getting fully electric large commercial vehicles into production and ■■■■■■■ did launch their fully Electric driveline before Tesla, but their PR isn’t as good.

muckles:

jamdoms:

muckles:

jamdoms:
I mentioned Brexit in relation to this technology because our government knows that we are now on a radical path of change and Brexit like it or not has hasten that change and one of the changes will be how we work and survive economically in the future ergo the embracing of level 2 and 3 vehicle tech which are all stepping stones to complete driverless vehicles and a big step towards “platooning” and if that is not a big nod to future proof your work options I don’t know what is.
No point in fooling ourselves the march of change is here and sticking your fingers in you ears wont stop you getting run over by a robot lol .

Brexit has nothing to do with it, these trails are going on in the US and in other parts of Europe in fact they’re far further ahead than the UK. The government is funding it because none of the truck manufacturers are not interested in paying themselves to test in the UK.

And as I’ve said platooning is a level 3 automation, not level 5,

Yes full automation will get here one day and we are going to see increasing levels of automation in many parts of our lives including in trucks, but there are many problems to overcome first for full automation of trucks, it’s not even a question of sticking a system developed for a car onto a truck, the dynamics of a truck are far different to a car. That’s not my opinion, but the opinion of the developers at Otto, who are working on this.

I’ve already up skilled, so not overly worried for myself.

Methinks you protest a little too much, anyway good to know that you have up skilled so no worry there for your fellow man :smiley:
I still stand by my view that Brexit has and is playing a part in hastening this tech in the uk.
And since you have up skilled you have in fact validated my opening post.

We’ll have to differ on Brexit point of view.

I don’t protest, I’ve just done a lot of research on the subject, it interests me, the technology interests me, and the social consequences concern me.
I got further qualifications because I wanted too and because I got to an age where I realised that one failed medical or medical issue would mean a loss of my livelihood.

No point in preaching to the converted :smiley:
The affects of Brexit are going to be contentious and will be for some time yet so no harm in agreeing to disagree on that.
There have been some good posts on the possible direction of the future tech , some points I know and some I didn’t all of them food for thought which in what a good forum is about.
Like you I am also concerned about the social consequences that could be coming down the pipe.
Anyway I have had my tuppence worth so wish all my fellow drivers a good and productive future whatever their choices might be.

jamdoms:

muckles:

I don’t protest, I’ve just done a lot of research on the subject, it interests me, the technology interests me, and the social consequences concern me.
I got further qualifications because I wanted too and because I got to an age where I realised that one failed medical or medical issue would mean a loss of my livelihood.

The affects of Brexit are going to be contentious and will be for some time yet so no harm in agreeing to disagree on that.
There have been some good posts on the possible direction of the future tech , some points I know and some I didn’t all of them food for thought which in what a good forum is about.
Like you I am also concerned about the social consequences that could be coming down the pipe.
Anyway I have had my tuppence worth so wish all my fellow drivers a good and productive future whatever their choices might be.

My saying this has nothing to do with Brexit, cannot be taken as an indication on my opinion on the UK leaving the EU, it is just a statement on this one subject. :wink:

muckles:

jamdoms:

muckles:

My saying this has nothing to do with Brexit, cannot be taken as an indication on my opinion on the UK leaving the EU, it is just a statement on this one subject. :wink:

:wink:

jamdoms:
Heads up! To be able to compete post Brexit the government is buying into this tech big time with an eye on pontoon haulage needing one driver in the lead truck the others follow in suit driverless.
The writing in my view is on the wall.

They are forgetting about the enemy within that they and EU traitors invited into the country, they even now want to reward with jobs in airport security and council houses on their return from places like Syria
One truck does enough damage in the hands of a jihadi terrorist, just imagine what an auto platoon of them could do, Because if i can think of it, I’m damned sure the enemy combatants will too

jamdoms:
I still stand by my view that Brexit has and is playing a part in hastening this tech in the uk.
And since you have up skilled you have in fact validated my opening post.

Exactly how do you reach the conclusion that remaining in the EU would supposedly mean no autonomous vehicle agenda as opposed to Leaving.The difference being that we can ( try to ) vote out our own government if we don’t agree with it but we can’t vote out the zb EU Commissioners. :unamused:

ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-datab … omous-cars

tommy t:

jamdoms:
Heads up! To be able to compete post Brexit the government is buying into this tech big time with an eye on pontoon haulage needing one driver in the lead truck the others follow in suit driverless.

They are forgetting about the enemy within that they and EU traitors invited into the country, they even now want to reward with jobs in airport security and council houses on their return from places like Syria
One truck does enough damage in the hands of a jihadi terrorist, just imagine what an auto platoon of them could do, Because if i can think of it, I’m damned sure the enemy combatants will too

Hahaha good god what pish, jihadi robot trucks it’s like being told the plot of a badly written remake of I-Robot and 4 Lions combined :laughing: :laughing:

Grumpy Dad:

tommy t:

jamdoms:

Hahaha good god what pish, jihadi robot trucks it’s like being told the plot of a badly written remake of I-Robot and 4 Lions combined [emoji38] [emoji38]

Two excellent films.
Why some people think they’re documentaries though us beyond me.
Some of the original Asimov books have stood the test of time and are thought provoking. Philip K ■■■■ and “Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?”, is also a good read. It’s what “Blade Runner” was based on.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:
Hahaha good god what pish, jihadi robot trucks it’s like being told the plot of a badly written remake of I-Robot and 4 Lions combined [emoji38] [emoji38]

Two excellent films.
Why some people think they’re documentaries though us beyond me.
Some of the original Asimov books have stood the test of time and are thought provoking. Philip K ■■■■ and “Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?”, is also a good read. It’s what “Blade Runner” was based on.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

4 Lions is brilliant, was filmed around Sheffield and quite to the point, not so much fiction as foresight it would seem. A-I is another good film a futuristic version of Pinocchio as is Bicentenial Man though a lot funnier.