Time off sick

The forklift driver at work tipped a pallet on me and broke my collorbone and damaged my hip,ive been off 3weeks now and still in a lot of pain with the collorbone,how soon should I return to work?i drive an artic,and would you claim damages?its a small company and I wonder if they would keep me on if I did.i spent 4 nights in hospital.

I had an accident simaler to yours once but worse and the first words out if bosses mouth was claim for the accident that’s why I pay the insurance, I wouldn’t be going back yet with a broken collarbone.

Welcome to TNUK. Is he paying you sick pay ? If so enjoy the time off and don’t rush back but if you’re not out of pocket then maybe don’t claim.

bald bloke:
Welcome to TNUK. Is he paying you sick pay ? If so enjoy the time off and don’t rush back but if you’re not out of pocket then maybe don’t claim.

Hi he is paying me £400 take home a week which he reckons is average pay

That could be interpreted 2 ways, £400 is high for sick pay. He could just feel guilty, or he might realise that if he doesn’t pay, you could take him to the cleaners. I could cover my bills on that, so I’d have a year off tbh

This is quite ironic because i have hurt my ankle last night at Palletways.I was climbing out of the unit stepped in a manhole and went over on my ankle.I was only incapacitated for half a minute then limped away and carried on.There was a bit of pain for the next few hours but nothing major.Got an early finish, gone to bed, woke up at 7am and am now in agony.It feels really sore and i can barely put any weight on it.

I didn’t report it at the time because i couldn’t be bothered with the form filling and i know i won’t have time off just for this, i would only get SSP.

But to the OP, if your boss agrees to pay you full pay while youre injured then take it, personally that would be enough for me, i wouldn’t put a claim in as i detest the whole compensation
culture.That is why we are bogged down in health and safety.

What you need to consider is that if the injury prevents you from carrying out your job them someone needs to pay your wages, even if you get sick pay you will not get paid for the first 3 waiting days. If you have problems later on and need to give up driving then again someone needs to pay, the company will have some sort of insurance for this type of incident. If they’re a decent firm they will know and accept this already, it happens.

You’re not claiming from your boss :open_mouth: you’re claiming from HIS INSURANCE COMPANY! :laughing: that’s why he pays it :unamused: have you wrote the accident into the accident book? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

On a personal basis,were paid fully when were sick,obviously without the expenses.I think any proceedings has to be looked at-were you out of pocket?This being a reason for not to claim/or to claim.However,what happens 1/2/3/4 years down the line,when you cant stay driving,for any period, without a crick in your neck?They must be made aware of,and record the accident. A friend of mine had a fall a couple of years back,and broke his wrist.He was paid the first week(so well presume he was going to be paid throughout his recuperation),but the following Monday the company received a solicitors letter,claiming damages.
The company were able,and did,go to his bank and withdraw the wages payment he was due to get on the following Thursday.An expensive lesson for him,as it nearly put his lights out financially.
While we as workers expect fairness,surely employers,big or small, are entitled to the same.greedy boys get nothing.

I don’t think you are covered with insurance if you go back to work when still signed off by doctor.

LeedsChris:
This is quite ironic because i have hurt my ankle last night at Palletways.I was climbing out of the unit stepped in a manhole and went over on my ankle.I was only incapacitated for half a minute then limped away and carried on.There was a bit of pain for the next few hours but nothing major.Got an early finish, gone to bed, woke up at 7am and am now in agony.It feels really sore and i can barely put any weight on it.

I didn’t report it at the time because i couldn’t be bothered with the form filling and i know i won’t have time off just for this, i would only get SSP.

But to the OP, if your boss agrees to pay you full pay while youre injured then take it, personally that would be enough for me, i wouldn’t put a claim in as i detest the whole compensation
culture.That is why we are bogged down in health and safety.

arr sh**y palletways !!! is it still corrupt and ■■■■ up there i got a life time ban ! best thing ever happen to me ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You might be lucky to be back in 8 weeks it just depends on how YOU feel the collarbone is a funny old thing to fix as there’s only tissue to keep everything together and as your having to push and pull stuff you need to wait until its fully healed or you’ll have problems later.

my lad broke his in 3 places and after a year had an op that took a 10cm titanium plate and 7 screws cost of the plate just over £1000 time with arm in a sling was a further 6 weeks but encouraged to use it asap

nick2008:
You might be lucky to be back in 8 weeks it just depends on how YOU feel the collarbone is a funny old thing to fix as there’s only tissue to keep everything together and as your having to push and pull stuff you need to wait until its fully healed or you’ll have problems later.

my lad broke his in 3 places and after a year had an op that took a 10cm titanium plate and 7 screws cost of the plate just over £1000 time with arm in a sling was a further 6 weeks but encouraged to use it asap

That must have hurt,I didn’t realise how much pain your in until I did mine,and it stops you having a decent nights sleep I have to take codiene every 2hrs,makes me wonder how Bradley wiggins got back on his bike 2 days after breaking his in last years Tour de France.

before

he spent nearly 2 hrs on gas 45min of that was taken getting his arm down and across his waist so it could be supported

after

still gets a bit of jip more so in the cold

That looks sore one of the screws looks a bit crossed thought

senior50:
That looks sore one of the screws looks a bit crossed thought

there’s 3 breaks and that screw pulls 1 bone back to alignment 4hrs op and its an op they don’t like doing due to the main artery being so close to where they work

Op I don’t know where you are located but if anywhere near Ipswich there’s a guy I used to use when I snapped bits off myself when racing. Google .“bone doctor” or check motorcycle racing websites for his address. The guy’s a genius and uses hyperbaric chambers etc. not cheap, but how much income can you lose?

He treated BSB racer Dennis Hobbs who broke his collarbone at Cadwell on Saturday, visited the bone doctor that night and raced the next day, after performing 50 press ups in front of the clerk of the course to prove his fitness! Cojones of steel imo. :smiley:

You are on pay so dont rush back but boss could put you onto SSP which by law you can only stay on for upto 29 weeks then he has to sack you but hope you wont be off that long all you can do is rest

Take codeine with paracetamol

I reckon your boss is paying because he don’t want HSE involved.

You have to ask yourself what affect this injury may have on you in the future. IMO, I would see a solicitor.

animal:
You are on pay so dont rush back but boss could put you onto SSP which by law you can only stay on for upto 29 weeks then he has to sack you but hope you wont be off that long all you can do is rest

Take codeine with paracetamol

Not true!