Time off sick

Blimey that looks minging. Take it easy lads…

Least the gaffer is paying you while you’re off, that would do for me unless thee was negligence & or maliciousness involved.

Montmerency:

animal:
You are on pay so dont rush back but boss could put you onto SSP which by law you can only stay on for upto 29 weeks then he has to sack you but hope you wont be off that long all you can do is rest

Take codeine with paracetamol

Not true!

Really :unamused: or you have to go back to work ( most do it on 26 weeks )

This happened to me a few years back

Jagstype:
The forklift driver at work tipped a pallet on me and broke my collorbone and damaged my hip,ive been off 3weeks now and still in a lot of pain with the collorbone,how soon should I return to work?i drive an artic,and would you claim damages?its a small company and I wonder if they would keep me on if I did.i spent 4 nights in hospital.

You should claim dam right pain and suffering loss of earnings pay drag it out until you are better,but you have got three years to claim so hold it back and keep going the quaks for pain killers bad back the lot don’t claim yet though give it a year or so and every time your off make sure its due to the injury. dont be the nice guy if you ■■■■ up would they be nice,NOPE.save all receipts for medication why should you pay. :unamused:

Montmerency:

animal:
You are on pay so dont rush back but boss could put you onto SSP which by law you can only stay on for upto 29 weeks then he has to sack you but hope you wont be off that long all you can do is rest

Not true!

CANNOT SACK ON THE SICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE A TRIBUNAL

broke my collarbone really badly when i was seventeen-came off my motorcrosser.
could not even get out of bed the next day (or the next week!!)without being in utter agony-it was as bad as broken ribs,but didnt heal nearly as quickly.
i was prescribed coproxemal tablets-very good lol.
ten weeks off work!! i was an apprentice bricklayer then,but fairplay to the bloke i worked for-he paid me for the whole time i was off.not a big wage obviously and not a big firm either,just him ,me and a labourer, but he didnt have to give me a penny.counted myself very lucky.

andrew.s:
could not even get out of bed the next day (or the next week!!)without being in utter agony-it was as bad as broken ribs,but didnt heal nearly as quickly.
ten weeks off work!! i was an apprentice bricklayer then,but fairplay to the bloke i worked for-he paid me for the whole time i was off.not a big wage obviously and not a big firm either,just him ,me and a labourer, but he didnt have to give me a penny.counted myself very lucky.

Yep or he could have paid you SSP

animal:

andrew.s:

not really as i was an apprentice through the CITB-he used to “top” my money up every week(by more than double)so he didnt have to give me a penny actually.

andrew.s:

animal:

andrew.s:

not really as i was an apprentice through the CITB-he used to “top” my money up every week(by more than double)so he didnt have to give me a penny actually.

Well done on him & you as when I went on the sick ( not an apprentice btw ) I only got SSP for the 1st 29 weeks then had apply for Incapacity benefit as it was then

animal:

andrew.s:

animal:

andrew.s:

anyway,sorry to hi jack the thread OP.

Well done on him & you as when I went on the sick ( not an apprentice btw ) I only got SSP for the 1st 29 weeks then had apply for Incapacity benefit as it was then

not really well done on me is it as i injured myself jumping out of a hole in the ground and over a barbed wire fence 4ft high,on my suzuki RM 125.i cleared the fence by about 2ft-i bet it looked really good until i looped it ,let go and the bike hit a tree then bounced back and hit me and also nearly severed my ear with the rear wheel bolt. lesson learnt-always wear your bash hat and dont try things you havent the talent for!!

andrew.s:

animal:

andrew.s:

animal:

andrew.s:

anyway,sorry to hi jack the thread OP.

not really well done on me is it as i injured myself jumping out of a hole in the ground and over a barbed wire fence 4ft high,on my suzuki RM 125.i cleared the fence by about 2ft-i bet it looked really good until i looped it ,let go and the bike hit a tree then bounced back and hit me and also nearly severed my ear with the rear wheel bolt. lesson learnt-always wear your bash hat and dont try things you havent the talent for!!

LOL yep know that 1 bet it hurt a little

As when I came off my bike low sped low impact but I was thrown but was daft enough kept hold of said suzuki np100 but landed badly age 17 mind picked up said bike pushed 1/2 mile home walked round for next 30 yr before they found my fractured back still went to collage next day was in some pain took nowt for it mind or next 30yr till they actually found out

animal:

Not true at all. I was off for 22 months and after my company sick pay stopped I went onto SSP for 26 weeks. When that stopped I was on Incapacity benefit. The company didn’t even get close to begin the dismissal on medical grounds process until 18 Months by which time I was having a stem cell transplant and the company doctor report said that until that was completed he couldn’t say what my capabilities would be.

I don’t doubt that what you say happened to you but suspect it was more company policy rather than legal requirement that you were dismissed.

sweeper1gg:

Montmerency:

animal:

Not true!

CANNOT SACK ON THE SICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE A TRIBUNAL

Again not true. The company can dismiss on medical grounds. They have to show many things like ability to do the tasks expected, with or without addition support. There may be obligations to try and find alternative duties within the capabilities of the person concerned.

Just as an example would you expect a driver blinded in an accident to be allowed to continue driving? Would you hope that a blinded driver might be offered the chance to work at a desk within a transport operation?

Wiretwister:

animal:

Not true at all. I was off for 22 months and after my company sick pay stopped I went onto SSP for 26 weeks. When that stopped I was on Incapacity benefit. The company didn’t even get close to begin the dismissal on medical grounds process until 18 Months by which time I was having a stem cell transplant and the company doctor report said that until that was completed he couldn’t say what my capabilities would be.

I don’t doubt that what you say happened to you but suspect it was more company policy rather than legal requirement that you were dismissed.

So why didnt they pay you for 29 weeks as they could after that I went onto incapacity which is from the government not the employer so they let you go after your pay stopped & SSP as when you received incapacity you would not be on your employers books any more so effectively you were dismissed when you went onto incapacity benefit as this is what happened to me but I was off a bit longer than 22 mth yep they could take you back on but had to let you go 1st in your case after company sick pay & 26 week SSP

animal:
So why didnt they pay you for 29 weeks as they could after that I went onto incapacity which is from the government not the employer so they let you go after your pay stopped & SSP as when you received incapacity you would not be on your employers books any more so effectively you were dismissed when you went onto incapacity benefit as this is what happened to me but I was off a bit longer than 22 mth yep they could take you back on but had to let you go 1st in your case after company sick pay & 26 week SSP

I don’t know but I was so ill at the time the legal niceties were the furthest thing from my mind. In any event I wasn’t sick after an accident, mine was disease.

Wiretwister:

animal:

I don’t know but I was so ill at the time the legal niceties were the furthest thing from my mind. In any event I wasn’t sick after an accident, mine was disease.

Yep incapacity means you can not work for whatever reason weather it is sick / illness / disease

So as I said you were finished /sacked /dismissed whatever you wish to call it after 26 weeks on SSP but as you say when you are that ill the legal niceties are the furthest things from you mind what is more important is you get sorted /better have the treatment etc to help on the road to recovery

Hope you are ok now

A read of this may help

gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview

If you are still unfit for work you claim ESA as it is now as you are not employed by your company although when you are fit they may take you back but they done have to

animal:
Yep incapacity means you can not work for whatever reason weather it is sick / illness / disease

So as I said you were finished /sacked /dismissed whatever you wish to call it after 26 weeks on SSP but as you say when you are that ill the legal niceties are the furthest things from you mind what is more important is you get sorted /better have the treatment etc to help on the road to recovery

Hope you are ok now

Been in remission for just about 7 years.

I was never dismissed and while I won’t be putting up bank/pension statements or P60s I will give 3 indicators that show as such.

1 - During the time I was on SSP and incapacity benefit I was getting working tax credits. These are only paid to those in work above a certain number of hours every week. HMRC saw me as employed.

2 - Before, during and after my absence my pension statements all showed a continuity of service. The missing contributions mean that my pension payout has been reduced from what I would have expected but the pension company saw me as employed.

3 - In 1 financial year I never did a single shift but in the last month of that year was paid for all the statutory holidays. My company pay group saw me as employed.

Now I accept that this is different from your own experience but suggest if it was a legal requirement that I be medically discharged then 1 of the above may have made a mistake but 3? I don’t think that is very likely.

I also received working tax credit but as you say yours is totally different from mine & no two are alike

Mine is all documented in the Family & health forum

Pleased to hear you are in remission hope it stay like that