Time off..Decompressing

Hi All ive just had a couple of weeks off and was wondering if anybody else feels like crap for a few days into a prolonged break ie lathargic washed out headaches etc . i did feel much better after a few days maybe somthing to do with a change of routine and getting proper sleep
any thoughts…?
Thanks

Caffeine withdrawal.

I smash loads in at work and noticed every weekend I felt bad because I wasn’t having the drinks. I have been off work since Thursday last week and returning tomorrow, I think only Saturday I was out of bed before 12pm :open_mouth: :laughing:

Not healthy I do realise.

When i worked stupidly hard on the transporters i used to feel like that on rest, i think it’s part and parcel of trying to do two weeks work every week which is still the case for so many lorry drivers.

Since i jumped from there onto tanks and cut my hours by between a third and a half, and the work a doddle, i don’t get that anymore.

It might be signs that you need to look at your life balances, course it could simply be as said caffeine loss, bloke i was tipping with at the weekend found he was suddenly getting headaches plus other symptoms, he found his wife had inadvertantly picked up caffeine free tea, i wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference but it did to him.

I believe there is a condition called Seasonal Adjustment Syndrome, (SAD) when especially during the winter some folk find themselves at a low ebb.

caffine jitters … yeah usually drink loads of tea and a couple of cans of coke not so much when im off
so its my system that is compensating
also as said working long hours does not anybody any good
thanks

I hate having a week off. I work nights and have a pretty good rhythm for sleeping and working. But whenever I have a week off, my body tries to drag me back to a “normal” routine, sleeping at night and up during the day. First couple of days back working are a killer.

bestbooties:
I believe there is a condition called Seasonal Adjustment Syndrome, (SAD) when especially during the winter some folk find themselves at a low ebb.

That’s me. Just feel like total ■■■■ for a few months this time of year. I think it can verge on depression to be honest.

Juddian is right.It’s a work/life balance thing.Live to work or work to live.

Captain Caveman 76:
I hate having a week off. I work nights and have a pretty good rhythm for sleeping and working. But whenever I have a week off, my body tries to drag me back to a “normal” routine, sleeping at night and up during the day. First couple of days back working are a killer.

Hearing ya,just a matter of.billions of years of evolution against us,sleep.nights,work days,hideously unnatural to pervert this affair.50 quid an hour minimum should do the trick.

andy_s:

bestbooties:

That’s me. Just feel like total [zb] for a few months this time of year. I think it can verge on depression to be honest.

Another condition I read about last night, Chronic Exhaustion Syndrome, Whatever the symptons, a visit to the sawbones won’t hurt.

andy_s:

bestbooties:

That’s me. Just feel like total [zb] for a few months this time of year. I think it can verge on depression to be honest.

My uver arf is downright bloody miserable due to SAD, but saying that she aint much different the rest of the year :frowning:

raymundo:

andy_s:

bestbooties:

My uver arf is downright bloody miserable due to SAD, but saying that she aint much different the rest of the year :frowning:

I don’t know, I find her quite cheerful whilst you’re away… :wink:

Notimetoulouse:
Hi All ive just had a couple of weeks off and was wondering if anybody else feels like crap for a few days into a prolonged break ie lathargic washed out headaches etc . i did feel much better after a few days maybe somthing to do with a change of routine and getting proper sleep
any thoughts…?
Thanks

Do you work shifts by chance or do deep nights with reversals? I work in a job where we suffer with jet lag. You do 5-6 trips a month. A bit like 6 holidays worth of jet lag a month with 2 days off to recover between trips except no moaning to every bugger down the office that it took you a week of sleeping to recover from your holiday, because you only actually had 48 hours and had to go through it again. All the blokes, and I mean ALL talk about exactly what you describe.

We all permanently feel like we have the flu coming. Painful body, chronic headache, foggy thick mind, stomach doing weird painful things, sneezing, sore throat and generally feeling quite ill. And when you have any leave it gets worse and usually you end up in bed for a few days with it. If you took a month off the pain goes to be left with chronic fatigue. It’s ■■■■. My AME (aviation Doc) reckons it takes a year to recover from deep nights and jet lag. Would imagine shift workers although not as extreme have similar.

Makes me laugh, the nimby lefty society we live in today has been sold the idea that aircrew having a few pints the night before a flight is akin to Satan yet they’re quite happy to get on a jet where chronic fatigue through EASA flight time limitations renders you worse than 10 pints.

bestbooties:

^
This +10…
One reason (amongst others) why i chose to leave the UK, also used to suffer badly when coming back off holiday from warm climes. Seasonal Affective Disorder is easily dismissed by some as all in the mind but it can and is debilitating, its not nice. Sitting indoors looking out on gloomy weather with the heating on full blast can make you just want to curl up and do nothing…

Think I’ve had this Seasonal Affective Disorder for the last 12 months! :open_mouth: