Time for medical

Agree, and the price should be ■■■■ ALL.

It is a requirement so we can work. If the DVLA need it, they should pay for it. And you can bet, if they had too pay, the price would be fixed at a very reasonable price.

Do they charge £80 for a sicknote so others can get their money from work? No, so why should they charge us!

Scarab:
Standard DVLA D2 medical isn’t it?

Just a visit to your doctor, check a urine sample, answer some questions, do a heart test, eye check. Charge you a stupid amount of money then off you go! :sunglasses:

WOT ■■ No finger in the arse ■■? And asked “How does that feel ?”

I’m beginning to get really concerned about my doctor :blush:

I think I paid about £75 last year at my local GP. After having to go through the hoopp jumping to get registered there first. Non patients pay about £90, I think.

Hang on a minute lads, i can understand agency and self employed having to pay their own, but surely don’t all companies pay for their drivers medicals?

I think I read somewhere recently that we can claim something. Maybe half ? Or perhaps a set amount towards the cost ?

But I might have read that in some of the Wincanton/Takeover bumff

I’m a bit lazy :blush:

gnasty gnome:
Used to be a medical centre in Derby which offered a cheap-rate HGV medical, on London Road IIRC. Cost me £25 six years ago; paid my own GP here in Carmarthen £65 for the privelege last year. :frowning: BUPA

It’s still there, but now is £30

and still listed - HERE - along with lots of other cheap medicals, including Drivers medicals.com :unamused:

Juddian:
Hang on a minute lads, i can understand agency and self employed having to pay their own, but surely don’t all companies pay for their drivers medicals?

No, they don’t unfortunately.

The general logic is that if you want the licence then you pay for the medical.
After all, nobody is forcing you to take the medical, are they?

Strewth Kate, sorry i just assumed that most companies wanted to keep their better staff, and extra benefits like this often make the difference to how you feel about a job.

driversmedicals.com

This has been posted before, but just in case you can’t fnd it, here we go again.

Kate:

Juddian:

The general logic is that if you want the licence then you pay for the medical.

Yes. The DVLA / VOSA / H M Gov

DoYouMeanMe?:

Kate:

Juddian:

The general logic is that if you want the license then you pay for the medical.

Yes. The DVLA / VOSA / H M Gov

Not quite.

I take the medical because I want the license,
I don’t have to take it, I just don’t get the license, if I don’t.

I have nobody holding a gun to my head.

Simple.

Kate.
So if you refused to pay for the licence and was then not able to do the job, would you get dole or would they class that as you had given the job up?

I don’t think it is fair that the Government can make you pay to see that you are up to the health standards that they set.

They pay for the treatment of junkies, but screw money out of ordinary working blokes. Great example for prople to follow IMO.

DoYouMeanMe?:
Kate.
So if you refused to pay for the licencs and was then not able to do the job, would you get dole or would they class that as you had given the job up?

If I chose not to do the medical, and therefore give up my license, then I would be seen to have given up my job. As a consequence I would not get ‘dole money’
However, I could always get another job which doesn’t involve driving a truck.

I don’t think it is fair that the Government can make you pay to see that you are up to the health standards that they set.

I don’t think it’s fair either, but then again the government is not making me do the job, are they?

They pay for the treatment of junkies, but screw money out of ordinary working blokes. Great example for people to follow IMO.

That’s life, I’m afraid

Maybe it’s a case of ‘Standards’.

I’ve have had my own business for over 30 yrs and never held folk to ransom, however by others acceptable standards, I should charge £30 per hour to strip the motors to trace the fault, then £70 per hour to rebuild them as I have them by the balls then, That seems to make things acceptable.

Doctors know it is a ‘vocational licence’.
(vocational- adjective 1 relating to an occupation or employment)
but choose to screw us. Guess who’s just had a 100% labour increase on their motors.

HGV drivers are not alone in having to “pay to go to work”. Many healthcare professionals have to do a similar thing to get their “PIN” number as I think it’s known. My ex was a care worker and had to shell out for her CRB checks; as she was on agency she didn’t get reimbursed.

It’s ludicrous that people who want to work get less consideration than the idle gits who can’t be bothered! :angry:

I’ve just booked mine with the guy in Willenhall,he must be popular,I’ve got to wait 10 days for an appointment :open_mouth: …still,for £15,I’m not complaining :smiley:

Juddian:

My company pays for ours. :smiley:
We pay initially, then claim it back on our expenses. :smiley:

ROG:

stvme2519:
when i done my medical from my provisinal entitlment…i went to a retired doctor in willenhall, next to some massage parlour if i remeber right lol…he only charged £15 my doc wanted £100…top gear hgv school put me on to him…sure it was willenhall town centre

The £15 was for the ‘medical’ … wasn’t it :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

£15 … :smiley:

That must have been a “relief”:unamused::wink:

Baggie:
I’ve just booked mine with the guy in Willenhall,he must be popular,I’ve got to wait 10 days for an appointment :open_mouth: …still,for £15,I’m not complaining :smiley:

Welcome Baggie - could you put the details of that one on the cheap medicals list
darn - cannot find the link… help :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome,Rog…not sure how add the details to the “cheap list”.Perhaps someone ITK know can do it.

Mr D Pottinger
Lyndhurst
Willenhall
WV13 2NL

Tel 01902 635952

Oops…missed out

Wolverhampton Street

a freudian slip perhaps :laughing: