Time for a minimum speed limit for cars on M-Ways?

Is it just me or is there a hell of a lot more cars doing 45-50mph on the motorways lately? I’ve done virtually no Motorway driving in a truck for around 9months ( :blush: ) but the last two weeks I’ve done a fair bit and I’m sick of tripping over OAP’s (usually) doing about 48mph in the inside lane.

I’m a committed Motoway plodder (50mph usually) but even I had to move out and pass a few this past week. It just makes everything extra dangerous with virtually all the trucks on the road (plodders like me and boys on the limiter) in the middle lane, plus those car drivers who will ONLY drive in the middle lane no matter what.

Its time to get these mugs out of the nearside lane. If you’re car can’t do 60mph or you can’t handle that kind of speed, then you shouldn’t be on the bloody road ffs!

like your thinking, but it is very unlikely to happen :cry:

Cue for back seat driver (in the Rover) to say . . .“slow down Maurice,its not a race” :laughing:

definatly 60 mph.

hammer:
Is it just me or is there a hell of a lot more cars doing 45-50mph on the motorways lately? I’ve done virtually no Motorway driving in a truck for around 9months ( :blush: ) but the last two weeks I’ve done a fair bit and I’m sick of tripping over OAP’s (usually) doing about 48mph in the inside lane.

I’m a committed Motoway plodder (50mph usually) but even I had to move out and pass a few this past week. It just makes everything extra dangerous with virtually all the trucks on the road (plodders like me and boys on the limiter) in the middle lane, plus those car drivers who will ONLY drive in the middle lane no matter what.

I’m probably missing something here but you seem to be complaining about car drivers doing just a little less speed than you in the nearside lane :confused:

If you were complaining about drivers hogging the middle lane I’d agree with you completely but it seems to me that 48/50 mph in lane one isn’t that bad and certainly shouldn’t be dangerous in normal circumstances.

It’s unusual for me not to be on the limiter where practical and if I get held back by someone making a legal and safe overtake in lane two it doesn’t bother me one bit, in fact it’s refreshing to see the ones that move back to lane one after they’ve overtaken.

hammer:
Its time to get these mugs out of the nearside lane. If you’re car can’t do 60mph or you can’t handle that kind of speed, then you shouldn’t be on the bloody road ffs!

You’re not going on the roads again then ?
If you are then I guess you’ll just have to learn to live with the fact that car drivers regardless of age have as much right on the road as lorry drivers.

Now if you want something to complain about mate, why not have a go at the idiot truck drivers I see holding back or blocking lanes at motorway incidents :unamused:
Northbound M1 traffic at around J16/J17 was held up on Friday by a minor incident in lane three, what do I see but two muppet truck drivers going as slow as they could and blocking lanes one and two with about a quarter of mile of almost empty motorway in front of them and several miles of bumper to bumper traffic behind them and this was well back down the queue from the incident, bloody amateurs :unamused: :imp:

minimum motorway speed is 50 mph

joedwyer1:

Is it ?
Perhaps you could provide a link to that law or regulation.

i am at a loss with this one, in fact it is one of the most ridiculous things ive read on here. first the OP moans about car drivers doing 48 or so because they get in his way. then in the next paragraph he reveals that his normal speed on the mway is 50!!! does it not strike you that YOU might be having the exact same effect on other trucks as you are whinging about the OAPs do to you?! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:

joedwyer1:

Is it ?

I’m thinking we better not hold our breath waiting for the link eh? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Courtesy of Mr Google :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/there-minimum-speed-motorway.html

joedwyer1:

There is no minimum speed limit on UK motorways unless marked.
However, there is a charge of ‘driving without due care and attention’ or ‘dangerous driving’ if deliberately doing such a low sped is causing a danger to other road users - the elderly lady who was doing 20 moh on a motorway near Bristol is a recent case where this has been done.
EDIT & ADD - swordtail beat me to it with that link :smiley:

I totally agree with tachographs post but I can see an argument for the OP.

Trucks are limited so do not have the ‘option’ to pass these slower vehicles as quickly as other road users and this can have a knock-on effect to what was a relatively free flowing motorway.

The trucks will spend more time in lane 2 so 60+ vehicles then go into lane 3 - those over 60 in lane 3 will have to slow down (or tailgate in annoyance) and the effect is likely to cause a ‘shock-wave’ which can end up with traffic coming to a halt - we’ve all experienced this.

If those non-limited vehicles were doing general truck speeds then it would not be a problem - no more than usual - I sometimes do that when in my car - nice steady pace of betwen 50 and 60 inbetween trucks - very relaxing IMO. I suppose the only difference is that I am ‘aware’ of the problems that face truck drivers so I always allow for that, do not get in their way and adjust speed/position to assist them if necessary.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

joedwyer1:

Is it ?

I’m thinking we better not hold our breath waiting for the link eh? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it would be a good idea either :smiley:

I’ve lost count of how many times people have claimed that there’s a minimum speed limit on UK motorways :laughing:

Although there is not a specific minimum speed limt there is one by ‘inference’ = 0 - as you are not allowed to reverse :exclamation: :exclamation:

The UK motorway system does have a minimum speed limit i believe and it is set at 30mph which is set to restrict such vehicles as 50cc scooters (which legally are restricted to 29mph look it up) Although i cannot be certain on the exact speeds the offense would be Failure to make safe, reasonable progress.

ROG:
Although there is not a specific minimum speed limt there is one by ‘inference’ = 0 - as you are not allowed to reverse :exclamation: :exclamation:

Err yes, pretty obvious as you can’t have a figure less then zero and it’s got nothing to do with being allowed to reverse or not. You do realise that reversing doesn’t actually give you a negative speed don’t you? It doesn’t seem as if you do from that statement. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: Even in reverse you will still be doing a speed, 5, 10, 15, 20 or whatever mph, just in a different direction.

Ark-Angel:
The UK motorway system does have a minimum speed limit i believe and it is set at 30mph which is set to restrict such vehicles as 50cc scooters (which legally are restricted to 29mph look it up).

It doesn’t, look it up using for instance the link swordtail provided a few posts back up the thread.

Ark-Angel:
Although i cannot be certain on the exact speeds the offense would be Failure to make safe, reasonable progress.

You can be nicked for an offence of that nature without there being a minimum speed limit.

CLICKY

Ark-Angel:
The UK motorway system does have a minimum speed limit i believe and it is set at 30mph which is set to restrict such vehicles as 50cc scooters (which legally are restricted to 29mph look it up)

No, there’s a minimum they need to be capable of but not an absolute minimum; it’s 25mph IIRC.

I am pretty sure that the Highway code many moons ago used to print the fact that there was a 30mph minimum speed limit and also as you enterd a M/Way it had a sign at the start of the slip road listing all the restricted vehicles and that DIDstate that vehicles with a maximum of 30mph or less were prohibited. I always remembered the one near me @ Jct 15 of the 62.

Ark-Angel:
as you enterd a M/Way it had a sign at the start of the slip road listing all the restricted vehicles and that DIDstate that vehicles with a maximum of 30mph or less were prohibited.

Prohibiting vehicles with a maximum speed of 30 mph is not the same as a minimum speed limit.

Coffeeholic:

Ark-Angel:
as you enterd a M/Way it had a sign at the start of the slip road listing all the restricted vehicles and that DIDstate that vehicles with a maximum of 30mph or less were prohibited.

Prohibiting vehicles with a maximum speed of 30 mph is not the same as a minimum speed limit.

so therefore i could legally ride a 51cc scooter with a maximum speed of 30mph on a M/Way. Like to see that one in court.