Time for a minimum speed limit for cars on M-Ways?

Ark-Angel:

Coffeeholic:

Ark-Angel:
as you enterd a M/Way it had a sign at the start of the slip road listing all the restricted vehicles and that DIDstate that vehicles with a maximum of 30mph or less were prohibited.

Prohibiting vehicles with a maximum speed of 30 mph is not the same as a minimum speed limit.

so therefore i could legally ride a 51cc scooter with a maximum speed of 30mph on a M/Way. Like to see that one in court.

You probably would be in court on a charge of driving with undue consideration or something like that. You wouldn’t be in court for failing to maintain the minimum speed limit because there isn’t one to maintain.

Not a SP60 Undefined speed limit offence then ?

Ark-Angel:

No, especially as they don’t use that code anymore :smiley:

Ark-Angel:

No, you can’t get a speed limit offence for contravening a non existent minimum. SP60 was normally only used when other speeding offence codes didn’t apply, exceeding a temporary speed limit in road works for example.

yes its time for minimum speed limit however nobody will do it.

it could be 60 mph minimum for a car, 60mph maximum for hgv and no speed limit for cars.

all eco or ■■■■■ driving style drivers banned from motorway traffic. if they want to do 50mph they can do it on country lanes as well.

jan_m:
yes its time for minimum speed limit however nobody will do it.

it could be 60 mph minimum for a car, 60mph maximum for hgv and no speed limit for cars.

all eco or ■■■■■ driving style drivers banned from motorway traffic. if they want to do 50mph they can do it on country lanes as well.

Only they don’t, I am often stuck behind them in my bus on 60mph (for them) single carriageway roads and they are doing between 20 and 30. This route is timed quite tight and with not many overtaking chances I am just sat behind them watching my hours break at the terminus dissapearing slowly. (usually get about 30 to 35 mins…legal on domestic rules)

Yes but what we need is this offence. Wanton and furious driving under Section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. Guilty as charged in 1998 had to go find the receipt just to make sure it was correct. I was clocked at approximately 164mph on the Mountain road and passed another car without caution. Dont you love the Isle Of Man. (though the fine nearly bankrupt me :frowning: )

I’m with the majority on this one regardless on what the law states (as long as I comply with it). I’ve always said to bring in driving ‘assessments’ for the over 60’s.

paulfromwire:
bring in driving ‘assessments’ for the over 60’s.

I would prefer driving ‘assessments’ at age 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, 80, 85… but that’s probably a discussion for a new thread… :wink: :slight_smile:

I am sure I can remember there once being a minimum speed limit of 30MPH and was signed with a blue back ground with white 30 and white border sign, then at the exit was another sign the same but with a thick red diagonal line through it removing the minimum limit.
Was it removed in the early 70’s when the maximum 50 MPH limit was imposed due to the fuel shortages?

I was behind a woman in a 57 plate Focus on the M1 last week; she was doing 45 MPH. Forty-five. :imp: The conditions were good and traffic was sparse and free flowing. I know she was doing this speed because I was behind her. On the approach to her I was going to overtake but I was less than half a mile from the exit I wanted so I slowed down off the limiter and waited behind her. As I approached her I knew she was going a slower than I was but thought she’d be doing about 50, I was wrong. I did consider overtaking but knowing my luck she’d have put her foot down and left me in the middle lane looking like a right tool. :angry:

There was no need for it though; the weather/conditions weren’t bad and no-one else was going as slow as that, just her. I really can’t understand why anyone would choose to trundle along at such a speed on a free-flowing motorway. :confused:

Yes, there should be a minimum speed limit for cars on motorways and 60 seems about right. Those ambling along at 45MPH should have their vehicles put in a big elastic slingshot device and catapulted to speed to give them a kick up their trundling arses. :angry:

hammer:
Is it just me or is there a hell of a lot more cars doing 45-50mph on the motorways lately? I’ve done virtually no Motorway driving in a truck for around 9months ( :blush: ) but the last two weeks I’ve done a fair bit and I’m sick of tripping over OAP’s (usually) doing about 48mph in the inside lane.

I’m a committed Motoway plodder (50mph usually) but even I had to move out and pass a few this past week. It just makes everything extra dangerous with virtually all the trucks on the road (plodders like me and boys on the limiter) in the middle lane, plus those car drivers who will ONLY drive in the middle lane no matter what.

Its time to get these mugs out of the nearside lane. If you’re car can’t do 60mph or you can’t handle that kind of speed, then you shouldn’t be on the bloody road ffs!

look at the bits i coloured in red there is only 2 mph diffrence why are you annoyed at that?

MrPanther:
I was behind a woman in a 57 plate Focus on the M1 last week; she was doing 45 MPH. Forty-five. :imp: The conditions were good and traffic was sparse and free flowing. I know she was doing this speed because I was behind her. On the approach to her I was going to overtake but I was less than half a mile from the exit I wanted so I slowed down off the limiter and waited behind her. As I approached her I knew she was going a slower than I was but thought she’d be doing about 50, I was wrong. I did consider overtaking but knowing my luck she’d have put her foot down and left me in the middle lane looking like a right tool. :angry:

There was no need for it though; the weather/conditions weren’t bad and no-one else was going as slow as that, just her. I really can’t understand why anyone would choose to trundle along at such a speed on a free-flowing motorway. :confused:

Yes, there should be a minimum speed limit for cars on motorways and 60 seems about right. Those ambling along at 45MPH should have their vehicles put in a big elastic slingshot device and catapulted to speed to give them a kick up their trundling arses. :angry:

By my reckoning it would have taken her 40 seconds to cover the half mile to the exit you wanted, and if she’d been doing 60 mph it would have taken her only 30 seconds to cover that half mile and taken you about 35 seconds at about 56 mph, so realistically she cost you about 5 seconds in time.

I mean no disrespect to anyone but that’s hardly life threatening is it :wink:

degus4ever3:

hammer:
Is it just me or is there a hell of a lot more cars doing 45-50mph on the motorways lately? I’ve done virtually no Motorway driving in a truck for around 9months ( :blush: ) but the last two weeks I’ve done a fair bit and I’m sick of tripping over OAP’s (usually) doing about 48mph in the inside lane.

I’m a committed Motoway plodder (50mph usually) but even I had to move out and pass a few this past week. It just makes everything extra dangerous with virtually all the trucks on the road (plodders like me and boys on the limiter) in the middle lane, plus those car drivers who will ONLY drive in the middle lane no matter what.

Its time to get these mugs out of the nearside lane. If you’re car can’t do 60mph or you can’t handle that kind of speed, then you shouldn’t be on the bloody road ffs!

look at the bits i coloured in red there is only 2 mph diffrence why are you annoyed at that?

Read it again. The difference in my speed and the offending cars is only 2mph. However, I now have to go into lane 2 to overtake, joining the trucks who wish to do 56mph on their limiter in lane 2. Normally, these trucks will pass me in Lane 2 and I’d be out of their way. Add in those car drivers who stubbornly refuse to get OUT of Lane 2 no matter what and we are all in Lane 2 passing these nuggets in lane 1 who are bumbling along between 45-50mph (says that in the opening line of my post). This causes inevitable irritation and bunching which is needlessly dangerous.

so realistically she cost you about 5 seconds in time.

5 sec in just half a mile.
we are doing about 350miles a day so such cows can cost us (350 miles /o.5 mile = 700times x 5 seconds) over 1 hour a day of driving, distance and additional costs for your employer. STILL ONLY 5 SEConds?

how can you fight with crisis or anything else if you are always pushed to do less miles by idiots, less job because uneducated staff at rdc’s, less hour because of the gov (wtd avg 48 hrs).

I drove behind an idiot on saturday morning . m62 b4 j29 (MANCHESTER HULL direction) road works are at junction 29 speed limit 50mph. long b4 this junction you got only two lanes eastbound to Hull. HGV cant use lane 4. MY IDIOT WERE DROVE 70MPH OVERTOOK ME FROM RIGHT CAME ON TO MY LANE (LANE 3) SLOWED DOWN TO 45MPH OVER 1 MILE B4 ROADWORKS AND AT ROAD WORKS SLOWED AGAIN DOWN TO 35MPH. WHEN I WAS ABOUT 10 METERS BEHIND HIM HE WERE START TO BRAKE HARD AS HE WERE SURE I’M TOO CLOSE TO HIM. OF COURSE HE WERE ONLY ON MIDDLE LANE then. CAR? BLACK ASTRA KW58 *** PLATE. MORE SUCH DRIVERS AND THEN WORK DAY WILL BE REALLY EXCITED.

tachograph:

hammer:

I’m probably missing something here but you seem to be complaining about car drivers doing just a little less speed than you in the nearside lane :confused:

If you were complaining about drivers hogging the middle lane I’d agree with you completely but it seems to me that 48/50 mph in lane one isn’t that bad and certainly shouldn’t be dangerous in normal circumstances.
This reinforces my point. I have to join the muppets who won’t leave the middle lane no matter what to overtake the plodders doing 45-50mph. Add in the HGV’s who want to be on their limiters and you have loads of traffic in Lane 2 passing one or two cars in Lane 1 who could quite easily be going quicker and out of everyone’s way. The bunching that occurs is dangerous and needless. My point is that in clear, dry conditions on Motoways there is no reason for a car to be doing 45-50mph and there is little difference in feel to the driver when compared with 60mph.

It’s unusual for me not to be on the limiter where practical and if I get held back by someone making a legal and safe overtake in lane two it doesn’t bother me one bit, in fact it’s refreshing to see the ones that move back to lane one after they’ve overtaken.

hammer:

You’re not going on the roads again then ?
If you are then I guess you’ll just have to learn to live with the fact that car drivers regardless of age have as much right on the road as lorry drivers. I never said they didn’t have the right, just that they should be able to keep pace with traffic and not cause a needless obstruction. If you can’t handle 60mph in an 18month old car then i would suggest your unfit for Motorway driving and a minimum limit might get a few unsuitable drivers off the road.

Now if you want something to complain about mate, why not have a go at the idiot truck drivers I see holding back or blocking lanes at motorway incidents :unamused:
Northbound M1 traffic at around J16/J17 was held up on Friday by a minor incident in lane three, what do I see but two muppet truck drivers going as slow as they could and blocking lanes one and two with about a quarter of mile of almost empty motorway in front of them and several miles of bumper to bumper traffic behind them and this was well back down the queue from the incident, bloody amateurs :unamused: :imp: I’m in 100% agreement with you on this and have said many times on here exactly that. Find a thread on ‘zip-merging’ and you’ll find me advocating it!

tachograph:
I mean no disrespect to anyone but that’s hardly life threatening is it :wink:

Not life threatening, no, but downright frustrating, bordering on harrowing when you’re urgently bursting for the toilet. :astonished: :blush:

As we all use the internet and grow older we take advice from the experts. However when “The Experts” offer such advice as at number 5 in the Fuel Economy Top Ten :unamused:

fuel-economy.co.uk/toptips.shtml

It probably explains why there are more flat capped Rover drivers blocking your way, now where are the keys to the Rover dear?

jan_m:

so realistically she cost you about 5 seconds in time.

5 sec in just half a mile.
we are doing about 350miles a day so such cows can cost us (350 miles /o.5 mile = 700times x 5 seconds) over 1 hour a day of driving, distance and additional costs for your employer. STILL ONLY 5 SEConds?

Well I have to admit that if I was stuck behind a car doing 45 mph for 350 miles I’d either be ■■■■■■ off or stop and get a coffee, but as it’s never happened and never likely to I won’t bother about it :wink:

tachograph:
stuck behind a car doing 45 mph for 350 miles

It wasn’t me in my flat cap, driving gloves and doing the wheel shuffling with an IAM sticker in the back window - honest… :wink: :laughing: