Tiktockers celebrating the mundane

Twiddling around on the interweb as you do I’ve found a plethora of material from many attention seeking trucksters spouting mundane everyday nothingness.

It’s the same on other social media sites. They tend to waffle about day to day shenanigans. Possibly of interest to those uninitiated but meat and drink to most.

Do you find these offerings relatable or do you find these people self aggrandising numpties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiabman:
Twiddling around on the interweb as you do I’ve found a plethora of material from many attention seeking trucksters spouting mundane everyday nothingness.

It’s the same on other social media sites. Mundane waffle about day to day shenanigans. Possibly of interest to those uninitiated but meat and drink to most.

Do you find these mundane offerings relatable or do you find these people self aggrandising numpties?

A guy I work with does a lot of TikTok stuff. Apparently he has quite a following. He’s about 10 years older than me (I’m 36).

I don’t get it.

Thejpmshow:
I don’t get it.

Me neither [emoji4]

I’ve been hearing about this tictok thing for a few months but didn’t know what it is. From context I had figured it would be sort of a video version of twitter, now that people are posting about it on TRUCKNET I went to search for it to see what it is. For those that don’t know it’s a chinese ripoff of youtube but with shorter videos to accommodate the ever shorter attention span of young people under 25 :slight_smile: Also according to Trump they hand over user data to the chinese gov’t

My misses she watches some fella on twitch I think?
Anyway it’s some driver from Holland he live streams his trip onto twitch.

He goes back and forth to the UK .
Has a camera mounted on his dash running permenalty.
Not something id watch.
But bit ago she said look at this…somehow he managed to get a signal and was streaming from the euro tunnel.
Granted all could see was back and blury lights.but was more surprised he managed to get a signal uder there

edd1974:
My misses she watches some fella on twitch I think?
Anyway it’s some driver from Holland he live streams his trip onto twitch.

He goes back and forth to the UK .
Has a camera mounted on his dash running permenalty.
Not something id watch.
But bit ago she said look at this…somehow he managed to get a signal and was streaming from the euro tunnel.
Granted all could see was back and blury lights.but was more surprised he managed to get a signal uder there

I get 4g in the eurotunnel.

On subject… its not for me but then its doing me no harm so see no reason to gripe about it. Each to their own and that.

I follow Becky Mills. Purely for the artistry of course, nowt to do with the ■■■■■■ and silicone in her chest you understand.

It’s quite straightforward. Lots of otherwise mundane everyday activities can be “monetized” (i.e. getting folks to pay to watch it - either directly on a “pay per view” basis or indirectly via advertising, product placement etc). Those who grasp this idea and see an opportunity to make a few bob do it, while those who don’t get it stand on the sidelines mocking - directly or indirectly.

Roymondo:
Lots of otherwise mundane everyday activities can be “monetized” (i.e. getting folks to pay to watch it - either directly on a “pay per view” basis or indirectly via advertising, product placement etc).

Isn’t that alraedy the case with twitch and youtube and maybe…spotify? I mean TV is all but gone so the vacuum left behind is filling up fast (with even worse crap lol not that TV was ever any good)

It does annoy me how monetised everything has become.
Every youtuber is basically asking for donations or to buy their crappy t-shirts now.

Cant deny it is an effective way of making money though.

I think the days of forums are dying. People prefer the short format of tiktok and twitter anyway.

adam277:
Every youtuber is basically asking for donations or to buy their crappy t-shirts now.

I think the days of forums are dying. People prefer the short format of tiktok and twitter anyway.

Couple of dozen or so people kick a ball around, and they’ve got the nerve to charge someone to watch. Been going on for decades.
[emoji3]

Franglais:

adam277:

Couple of dozen or so people kick a ball around, and they’ve got the nerve to charge someone to watch. Been going on for decades.
[emoji3]

Aye.
Still disappointing. But internet is now going down that path. Almost everything is a monthly subscription now or offers it. Even videogames.

the maoster:
I follow Becky Mills. Purely for the artistry of course, nowt to do with the ■■■■■■ and silicone in her chest you understand.

Isn’t that called stalking in old money.

Only if you get caught. :wink:

hiabman:

It’s the same on other social media sites. They tend to waffle about day to day shenanigans. Possibly of interest to those uninitiated but meat and drink to most.

Do you find these offerings relatable or do you find these people self aggrandising numpties?

A lot of the stuff I find annoying, though I have watched some good truck drivers channels on YouTube. tiktok seems to hold some of the most annoying content. Plenty of staged stuff I think as well. There’s a load of these videos of guys/girls revealing that they know they’ve been cheating by using blindfolds and holding up signs etc. On my Facebook newsfeed at the moment and some look staged, think I’ve seen same people in a few of them!

It costs nothing to create a YouTube channel, and all you need is a phone for videos, and I think people create ones with all the mundane crap as the lucky few have got very rich that way so I think many are hoping to strike lucky. LoganPaul and PewDiePie are two that I find annoying, yet both have made a fortune. Unfortunately both of these have found that it doesn’t matter how many likes and followers you have, advertisers and sponsors drop you like a hot potato when you use racial slurs, pay people to show hate speech against Jews, or upload a video of a suicide victim.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

adam277:

Franglais:

adam277:

[emoji3]

Aye.
Still disappointing. But internet is now going down that path. Almost everything is a monthly subscription now or offers it. Even videogames.

Down the path that every other media has been going down since the beginning of time you mean? Charging for content? The initial days of the internet made everyone accustomed to free entertainment, for the first time. That it’s now starting to cost money is hardly a surprise and honestly fair enough. No one is ever forced to pay, if you want to do, if you don’t think you get value for money, stop. The simple fact of the matter is it’s made everything a lot more democratic. Instead of a handful of wealthy media barons controlling money and entry if you’ve got the talent and can find an audience you can go it alone. And that’s a good thing. Easy to get dismissive about these new media characters because you think it looks easy, like money for old rope, but there’s a LOT of work goes into the content they produce. You don’t get rich off one video and sitting on your arse

switchlogic:

adam277:

Franglais:

adam277:

[emoji3]

Aye.

Down the path that every other media has been going down since the beginning of time you mean? Charging for content? The initial days of the internet made everyone accustomed to free entertainment, for the first time. That it’s now starting to cost money is hardly a surprise and honestly fair enough. No one is ever forced to pay, if you want to do, if you don’t think you get value for money, stop. The simple fact of the matter is it’s made everything a lot more democratic. Instead of a handful of wealthy media barons controlling money and entry if you’ve got the talent and can find an audience you can go it alone. And that’s a good thing. Easy to get dismissive about these new media characters because you think it looks easy, like money for old rope, but there’s a LOT of work goes into the content they produce. You don’t get rich off one video and sitting on your arse

I could go done the rabbit hole with you on this.
But a lot of people do very little ‘work’ to be honest.

There are people making money just posting videos of themselves eating. And Or people posting videos of themselves reacting and charging people so their ‘comments’ can be read.

What I find most egregious is videos that encourage kids into gambling any other such nonsense. YouTube is filled for example with Fifa pack opening videos. These are usally sponsered. All they do is encourage kids to get into gambling through video games.

Im almost done with social media now anyway. But it was nice while it lasted. It wouldnt surpise me if most youtube channels are fully pay gated.

Im glad you think it is good though. Personally, I think youTube was a nice alternative to traditonal media the issue now is that youTube is becoming the new traditional media.

Don’t see why anyone would get annoyed with something that you don’t have to watch.
Have we now got woke truck drivers that feel the need to be annoyed/offended about things.
I can understand getting annoyed about things that can directly affect you but to actually go and look for something is a tad weird [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
Don’t see why anyone would get annoyed with something that you don’t have to watch.
Have we now got woke truck drivers that feel the need to be annoyed/offended about things.
I can understand getting annoyed about things that can directly affect you but to actually go and look for something is a tad weird [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Best thing I ever discovered about YouTube is that if you’re signed in, you can change your settings so it doesn’t autoplay to the next suggested video [emoji106]

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Best thing I ever discovered about youtube was a little python script for my linux box, youtube-dl which allows you to download YT vids to your device, and if it happens to be a music track you want to keep, you just open it in an audio editing programme, eg Audacity, then export that as an mp3 :slight_smile: There are other progs/apps that do the same job too

As for the original point, I loved t’intyweb back in the late 90’s when it was Web1.0, lots of interesting forums, free software, very little malware and no pop-up adverts! For me it started going downhill when Fakebook came on the scene, all of a sudden people are sending each other pictures of what was on their diner plate :unamused:

What bugs me now is that the part of your screen you actually want to view is getting smaller and smaller, eventually it will become the size of a postage stamp but surrounded by pointless adverts. I do wonder how well internet advertising works, I’m sure I’m not the only one who blanks things out, and I never click on links to a product and buy it.