This is why the industry is fucked!

Trouble is Colin if we all stand in isolation as individuals ( young or old ), there isn’t much we can do. We can all stick up for ourselves as individuals to a point, and that’s great, but that’s it, and the reality is it doesn’t really get big things changed, or improve conditions for the good and benefit of all.

We live in a world where the consumer and competition is king and that’s it, the race to the bottom can’t be stopped, I’m glad I’m nearly done.

And with respect, far from blaming drivers of old, some of who fought for, and hung on to their conditions as long as they could, maybe the younger drivers/workers could get aquatainted or reacquainted with history and try and gain some of them back, but that would require sticking together, and that isn’t going to happen.

MickM

MTM12:
Trouble is Colin if we all stand in isolation as individuals ( young or old ), there isn’t much we can do. We can all stick up for ourselves as individuals to a point, and that’s great, but that’s it, and the reality is it doesn’t really get big things changed, or improve conditions for the good and benefit of all.

We live in a world where the consumer and competition is king and that’s it, the race to the bottom can’t be stopped, I’m glad I’m nearly done.

And with respect, far from blaming drivers of old, some of who fought for, and hung on to their conditions as long as they could, maybe the younger drivers/workers could get aquatainted or reacquainted with history and try and gain some of them back, but that would require sticking together, and that isn’t going to happen.

MickM

I fully understamd what your saying and agree.The reason drivers dont stick together now is they are scared that if they do anything another driver will be there to take there job.As we all know there is more drivers than jobs so drivers will not do anything to upset there boss or company.

Never take salary or Day rates for the above reasons… .It always favours the company.Insist on hourly pay & paid weekly .

Colin wrote:
And was it not haulage firms that also helped to finish off the miners and steel workers running imported coal or did you forget that bit.

No, you are of course correct there, not good to watch, but they were in the minority, and most of the coal and coke stocks needed to break the strikes were where they needed to be in order to maintain supply, Mrs T and company had made sure of that.

MickM

Colin_scottish:

MTM12:

MickM

I fully understamd what your saying and agree.The reason drivers dont stick together now is they are scared that if they do anything another driver will be there to take there job.As we all know there is more drivers than jobs so drivers will not do anything to upset there boss or company.

That’s about it really. :frowning:

MickM

MTM12:

Colin_scottish:

MTM12:

MickM

That’s about it really. :frowning:

MickM

Thats the sad way that drivers act and its goin to stay that way for the long run.

Colin is right. Too many of you lot are ■■■■■’s.

Stop working for turd money and gain some self respect.

eagerbeaver:
Colin is right. Too many of you lot are ■■■■■’s.

Stop working for turd money and gain some self respect.

Beaver you know aswell as i do a lot of driver have had there spine removed and forgot to put it back in.

I’ve worked for day rate in the past but I wouldn’t do it now. It was £100 a day ten years ago and you accepted that you had some long days and some short days but it all balanced out. If pay had kept up with inflation it would be £150 a day now but it’s still around the £100 mark, and companies which still pay day rate seem to want you to do 15 hours for it every day nowadays. I do limping work at £11.50 an hour so I get roughly the same as the OP got for 11 hours and no night out.

Harry Monk:
I’ve worked for day rate in the past but I wouldn’t do it now. It was £100 a day ten years ago and you accepted that you had some long days and some short days but it all balanced out. If pay had kept up with inflation it would be £150 a day now but it’s still around the £100 mark, and companies which still pay day rate seem to want you to do 15 hours for it every day nowadays. I do limping work at £11.50 an hour so I get roughly the same as the OP got for 11 hours and no night out.

Very accurate post Harry.

I only get £100 a day. After tax I get £400 a week.
I can live on that, I’m not poor, I buy things I want, I own my own house and two cars.

Some people seem to want the world these days.

109LWB:
I can live on that, I’m not poor, I buy things I want, I own my own house and two cars.

And there we have it folks. I am alright Jack…[zb] you :unamused:

Guess what fella, there are lads on here who have another 30 years to go. How about joining in and helping them out you selfish [zb] :imp:

109LWB:
I own my own house and two cars.

Do you mean you own them in the sense that they are bought and paid for, or do you mean that you have a crippling debt owing to banks and finance companies on them which would drag you under if you ever had some problem which meant that you couldn’t carry on putting your nose to the grindstone for 70 hours a week? :wink:

eagerbeaver:

109LWB:

Guess what fella, there are lads on here who have another 30 years to go. How about joining in and helping them out you selfish [zb] :imp:

I’m 33 years old “fella”.

Harry Monk:

109LWB:

Do you mean you own them in the sense that they are bought and paid for, or do you mean that you have a crippling debt owing to banks and finance companies on them which would drag you under if you ever had some problem which meant that you couldn’t carry on putting your nose to the grindstone for 70 hours a week? :wink:

I’ve never had finance on anything except the mortgage. That’s now down to £80k from £150k in 10years.
Don’t even have a credit card.

109LWB:

eagerbeaver:

109LWB:

And there we have it folks. I am alright Jack…F**k you :unamused:

Guess what fella, there are lads on here who have another 30 years to go. How about joining in and helping them out you selfish 2at :imp:

Then in that case it makes you even worse.

eagerbeaver:

109LWB:

eagerbeaver:

109LWB:

Then in that case it makes you even worse.

Why cos I’m sensible enough to manage my finances so Im Not working all hours just to get by?
Don’t think so. Get your priorities right and there is no need to be chasing £1000 a week just to live.

109LWB:

Harry Monk:

109LWB:

I’ve never had finance on anything except the mortgage. That’s now down to £80k from £150k in 10years.
Don’t even have a credit card.

But you’d agree that it would be better to be on £150 a day than £100 a day, right?

Either you are on a wind up, or you are a little bit ill.

I have a cracking gaff, and 2 cars. I expect plenty on here will. No finance, no store cards, zero balance credit card which I only have in the first place because I rent cars when in America and they insist on a credit card rather than a debit card.

Mrs B has a top job. I could manage on next to [zb] all :bulb: So should I now drive an artic for £2.50 an hour and inhale the sweet fresh air of the Pennines?

START THINKING OF OTHERS YOU RAGING BELLEND.

Colin_scottish:
I blame the older drivers for not standing there ground back in the great old days when it was so great.They allowed alot of stuff to happen and now are ■■■■■■■■ about it get.Dont blame the company blame the driver that when it started they allowed it to carryon.

You’re avin a larf.

If you really want to generalise it was unsurprisingly actually the older generations,that brought the employers and the CBI to their knees,including truck drivers,during the so called ‘militant’ 1970’s.

While it’s the brainwashed modern ones who are acting like turkeys voting for Christmas by supporting Brit jobs for foreign workers and Union ‘restraint’ and anti union laws like outlawing the closed shop and secondary action. :unamused:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … ers-strike