This is why the industry is fucked!

I’ve been in this industry since 1979, I’m not a driver that tends to move around but I left a company that I had been at 10 years and decided to have a change but first take a couple of months out and have a break from the industry.
Last week a company from Evesham (not that one) have opened a depot in my town and were recruiting so I rung, spoke to them and went for an interview.
£111 a day and £20 a night out and informed that 10 hours a day would be maximum, poor i thought but probably suit me as I’m not getting any younger and 10 hour days was more than enough for me.

I started yesterday, 14 hours 45 minutes and I was just pulling out of my last drop, parked up on an industrial estate with where I’d tipped with no facilities, ran back to the yard this morning to tell them to shove it to be told I am down to do the same job today.
Obviously I no longer work for them, I work out that £111 divided by a 15 hour day works out at £7.40 an hour which is below the minimum rate, no wonder the vast majority of their drivers are Eastern European!
If they pay me for yesterday I will be delighted, I don’t see it somehow!

Good for the boss. ■■■■ for the driver. And they wonder where all the anti-business sentiment has come from in this country.

Fair play to you mate, personally I would have rung them when I parked up and told them that I wouldn’t be doing any more runs for them, but that’s probably just me being a fool :wink:

I’d name them but i really don’t need to as there isn’t many large fridge companys from the obove mentioned town that have opened a depot in North Lincolnshire.

Why didn’t you pull out and park up after 10hrs?

If you recalculate that 15 hour £111 day at 8 basic plus 7 at time and a half it’s more like £6 p/h :open_mouth:

I have always said it, with the hours we work and that’s without overnights it’s a ■■■■ job but the reality is people have to survive and that goes for our own, it’s nothing to do with Europeans coming here and downing wages there is enough of our own who do that and always have
It’s just the lucky ones who work for a good company and get paid a respectable rate but you can be sure they still do long hours
Put your overnight on that and lack of facilities god the thought frightens me.
Would they have paid for parking
It’s a young man’s game now burnout comes a lot earlier now

peirre:

+1

peirre:

^ This.

The job won’t get any better if drivers don’t have the bottle to say no.While if you’re saying that the East Euros are willing to do it thereby weakening your position then that doesn’t exactly fit the claims that they aren’t under cutting the indigenous workforce.

They have to pay you by law, you and they have a contract for that day, persue it if need be, use cab.

Why don’t you name and shame for the less well informed who might be job hunting in the area? Not me btw.

I blame the older drivers for not standing there ground back in the great old days when it was so great.They allowed alot of stuff to happen and now are ■■■■■■■■ about it get.Dont blame the company blame the driver that when it started they allowed it to carryon.

got to be bannister

Bannisters?

IDS?

Fresh Linc?

Spiers & Hartwell?

If you work for good bosses, running good tackle doing good work and paying well, you can avoid situations like this.

Hope this helps.

A.

axletramp:
If you recalculate that 15 hour £111 day at 8 basic plus 7 at time and a half it’s more like £6 p/h :open_mouth:

£111 + £20 = £131 divided by 24 hours = £5.45 per hour that you were away from home . And nothing added for running in .And the tax man needs his cut as well .

Think about that .

Colin_scottish:
I blame the older drivers for not standing there ground back in the great old days when it was so great.They allowed alot of stuff to happen and now are ■■■■■■■■ about it get.Dont blame the company blame the driver that when it started they allowed it to carryon.

So blame individual drivers for the corporate greed and the uncontrolled free market globalised economy that is pervasive in this country/globally in 2017? Sounds like the biggest load of ■■■■■■■■ I’ve seen here for a while.

Try running your thoughts past the bin men in Birmingham at the moment, the miners, steelworkers and printers in the 1980’s and just about any other group who have fought for fair treatment, I think they might put you right!

MickM

MTM12:

Colin_scottish:

So blame individual drivers for the corporate greed and the uncontrolled free market globalised economy that is pervasive in this country in 2017? Sounds like the biggest load of ■■■■■■■■ I’ve seen here for a while.

Try running your thoughts past the bin men in Birmingham at the moment, the miners, steelworkers and printers in the 1980’s and just about any other group who have fought for fair treatment, I think they might put you right!

MickM

I never blamed any individuals i said older drivers look at france they stand up and people listen what did drivers do in this country nothing.And was it not haulage firms that also helped to finish off the miners and steel workers running imported coal or did you forget that bit.

Adonis.:
If you work for good bosses, running good tackle doing good work and paying well, you can avoid situations like this.

Hope this helps.

A.

Very helpful.
If we’ve got a good boss, good pay and good trucks, we don’t need go looking for a bad job.
Ta.

?

Colin_scottish:

MTM12:

Colin_scottish:

So blame individual drivers for the corporate greed and the uncontrolled free market globalised economy that is pervasive in this country in 2017? Sounds like the biggest load of ■■■■■■■■ I’ve seen here for a while.

MickM

I never blamed any individuals i said older drivers

Splitting hairs there. Have you ever withdrawn your labour to try and improve your lot then? Because that’s what it takes usually.