This is the first artic i drove

I drove that old shed for over 3yrs. Didnt know any better...Check out the wonderfull wipers. Minimum legal requirement all round. Vacuum brakes & the air line was a normal hose pipe held on with a jubilee clip. Came off regularly & because the unions were so strong a fitter had to put it back on again;not the driver. I remember going from Essex to Bristol with a 40ft ( isotope?) rod from a local nuclear plant . It was packed in a wooden box in the centre of the trailer & held down with ropes. The trailer was a 40ft flat single axle. There were no radiation boards, no instructions ,just get it there as quickly as possible. I didnt realised it was dangerous until I dropped it in the BRS yard at Bristol. The yard foreman came out with two drivers as soon as I arrived,got me out of the way ,hitched up & roared off to the power plant…

Original Link

I love that picture. I didn’t expect to see an artic that old when I clicked on the thread LOL. Do you still drive? If so, what do you drive now? Would you like a nostalgic run in that BRS artic? I know I would if that were my old truck.

Steve.

Harry, I edited your post so the picture would show up, hope you don’t mind.

Coffeeholic. No I don`t mind at all coffee… I wish I knew how to do it…

It’s easy Harry. You just have to type then copy and paste the URL of the picture, followed by typing I don’t use Photo Bucket so I am not sure how you get the URL from them but I think you already know how to get it from your previous posts. It should look like this.

Keep that to one line by hitting Enter before you type and after typing keeps the pictures one above the other and makes the page look better on the forums.

Make sure the box below the area you type in that says Disable BBcode in this post does not have a tick in it otherwise you will just see the text and not the picture.

ezydriver. I dont think so . It was under powered & had apologies for brakes...You needed 2 feet on the pedal to stop. One on top of the other... I took my artic test in one like that for BRS when I was 23. I had never driven an artic before & they didnt have a spare trailer so we took a trip out in the unit. Whan I went round roundabouts ect. I explained that with a trailer I would have taken it wider & things like that & passed. They gave me a 20` Albion flat until they had a spare unit… Not good memories with that Leyland. broke a half shaft in nottingham on a hill & had to hold it on the flimsy handbrake. Delivered 12t Flettons to Clacton & had to handball the whole load on my own…No labourers ( & no gloves in those days… )
Clutch went with a load of steel on from North Wales to London in that winter of all winters…Mister ,they were sheds… Strange thing is that I stayed 3 yrs there & my next job was driving a F88 left ■■■■■■ with lifing back axle running to Marsielles with containers…& never looked back. No I am not driving at the moment I gave it up 1 year ago but I still have the licence. My last truck was a 2 yr old Actros 420 with the walk thru cab. The job was a doddle & the money great but it was a constant battle with boredome . In the end I found it difficult to drive more than a few hours without pulling off the road & having a sleep…
Also because of boredome I had silly little accidents that never happened before… I had just lost interest… There was no challenge…at all.( & now I am living happily ever after… :laughing: )

This took seconds to upload instead of minutes… I 'thank you for the advice…I fooled around with snap that a Dutch OD sent me . I met him at Truckfest…
i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/ … 2star1.jpg
Now how do I show the snap without clicking on the link…?

Its not all about trucks. I do have other interests… :smiley:
i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/ … resize.jpg

LOL. Thanks for your reply earlier about your first artic, what you drive now etc…

Steve.

Anyway, more about your other interest…

harry:
This took seconds to upload instead of minutes… I 'thank you for the advice…I fooled around with snap that a Dutch OD sent me . I met him at Truckfest…
i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/ … 2star1.jpg
Now how do I show the snap without clicking on the link…?

All you have to do harry is type the post exactly as you have done but type just before the http and just after the .jpg. It should look like this

and the picture will show up directly in the post.

Thanks for that I will give it a go…

Hows this…?
Ay Voila ,Mesieu !!!

Coffee… There ain`t no stopping me now…!!

Took these at the trudkfest then fooled around with them…

harry:
Its not all about trucks. I do have other interests… :smiley:
i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/ … resize.jpg

I think I could take up an interest like that Harry :wink: :wink: As for vacum brakes I remember them well on my 1965 Thames Trader

greek. My first truck belonged to my Dad. We used to go to Covent Garden it it once a week. It was a Ford V8 Petrol 3 tonner. It had cable brakes which stretched when fully loaded… You had to be pretty nifty with the down changes if you wanted to stop in a hurry…Double de-clutch ,of course… :smiley:

Thought I would restore the pic of our annual fete…

These old girls scrubbed up well. The one on the right is the same model as the truck I took my first driving test when I was 17 & failed. My Father watched me as I drove down the busy High Street at a fixed 30mph. Dad said that the examiner looked terrified! I was showing him how clever I was… :smiley: The truck was a petrol Bedford. Good brakes & a smooth gearbox. I had been driving it for a year going to the old Spits Market once a week…That was on Tuesdays. On Thursday I would drive my Dads truck to Covent Garden…( I was a clever little sod at the time :laughing: )

Thats the job I started on in my trader A bit older than you though I was twenty.Trader weighed in at 2T 19cwt 6 any more & I would have to have been 21 yr old.Into the market first thing pick gear up then to depot sort all loads then deliver to schools & hospitals around North East Then sometimes to station sidings or farms hanball 7ton taties then back to depot handball off all for the princely sum of £13 aweek Sometimes chucked a sneaky 10t on thats when you realy went steady downhill with them vacum brakes. regards Kenny

It was all handball. On Thursdays I would leave with my Father at 0300 for Covent Garden ,I would get a barrow load all the empty bushel boxes ect. & take them to the empty warehouses all over the Garden The worst was up James St . because it was uphill… Then the porters would start bringing the fruit & veg to the truck until it was full. The drive home took about 3 hours . As soon as we got back to our warehouse the wholesale customers would arrive for their gear. After that we had a couple of deliveries to make in the local area. We never finished before 2100hrs. I don`t know what the wages were but I loved it… My mates at the time were enigeering aprentices ect. & miserable working for peanuts… I was the lucky one… :laughing: Harry…

harry:

That green one on the left looks like an army Bedford RL. The ones I drove where petrol engined and pretty quick for an army wagon. They had a few faults though, one was that there was a lot of spring clips on the back of the cab, for clipping tools and things into. One was in just the right position to catch your funny bone when changing into top unless you cocked your arm forward when changing gear.