This Forum is Divided

flat out at 62mph as much as i can obviously takin roads/conditions etc into consideration

scotstrucker:
am sure highlander would back me up on this

Totally agree.

Santa:
This forum is divided between those of us who stick to the 40mph speed limits on SCs, however stupid we think they are, and those who bash on regardless hoping they will always spot the camera.

It’s no surpise that the self employed want to get done as fast as they can because their income depends on it; but I am always amazed by the hourly paid drivers who boast of how quickly they can get from A to B, even though they earn less as a result.

Apart from those who are forced to by limiters, I wonder if anyone keeps to the 50mph on DCs?

it so is! Divided I mean. leaving speed and fog lamps out of it,you can mortally offend some members on here by daring to drive whilst wearing hi-viz? :unamused: :unamused:

Totally agree about the numptys that do 40 on SC (especially A9 north of Perth) and then hit the limiter on DC bits.

I’m up that way at least once a month and usually do between 42 and 46 on SC, (also indicating to let people pass if safe to do so) but then stay at the same speed on DC parts until everyone is past and then hit the gas.

I havent got a problem with people speeding thats their lookout … just please dont sit right on my arse, you cant see round me and i’ll let you pass as soon as i can !

(rant over thank you) :unamused:

Whatever the speed limit I drive to the road conditions, that may be on the limiter on a single carriageway or 40mph on a motorway.

My opinion is that if you stick rigidly to the 40mph speed limit then you should also observe the 50mph dual carriageway limits or you’re being hypocritical, you either break speed limits or you don’t, I can’t see how you can choose to break one but not another, a speeding endorsment is a speeding endorsement, doesn’t make a difference if it’s a 30/40/50mph limit, speeding is speeding.

I understand the frustration of those of you who get stuck behind somebody doing 39.99999999mph in a 40 limit who then hits the limiter at the first stretch of dual carriageway only to slow down again as soon as the road narrows, there are plenty that do it, they can’t be concerned about speed limits or they would do 50mph on the dual carriageway, so that leaves only one reason… being bloody awkward :unamused:

<50 s.c. Flat out on DC. BUT, for example, A17, if i’ve plodded along at 45 and then hit the twin track and i’ve created a queue, i let the queue clear.

Have you ever had a car make a stupid overtaking manoeuvre while traveling at 40? I have on the A40. It doesn’t matter who’s fault it is, someone dies. If the road is clear ahead and there’s not a safe place to overtake, move it on. I know it’s against the rules but come on, It’s a silly one. All it does is cause accidents, TESCO, ASDA and the rest, if you’re on an A road, pull in and let them pass.

wibble:
Have you ever had a car make a stupid overtaking manoeuvre while traveling at 40? I have on the A40. It doesn’t matter who’s fault it is, someone dies. If the road is clear ahead and there’s not a safe place to overtake, move it on. I know it’s against the rules but come on, It’s a silly one. All it does is cause accidents, TESCO, ASDA and the rest, if you’re on an A road, pull in and let them pass.

HAVE YOU■■?

Thanks for those words of wisdom. When i attend the coroners court in 12days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient.

if it’s safe, then it’s flat out.
if i had people milking it because they were on hourly rate, then i would sack them for taking the [zb].
it is the same as theft from your employer.
40mph, get out of the [zb]ing way.
we are all paid to do a job, and any less than 100% dedication should not be tolerated.

MR VAIN:
When i attend the coroners court in 12days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient.

I’d do exactly that, reiterate that the law is an ■■■ and that you/we “professional” drivers should be able to drive as suited to the conditions.

I don’t know anything about your RTC, but judging by your response i take it you are telling the truth? And that the car driver was impatient?

limeyphil:
if i had people milking it because they were on hourly rate, then i would sack them for taking the [zb].
we are all paid to do a job, and any less than 100% dedication should not be tolerated.

I might be mis-reading your post but are you saying that doing the maximum legal speed limit is taking the [ZB] ?

ROG:

limeyphil:

I might be mis-reading your post but are you saying that doing the maximum legal speed limit is taking the [ZB] ?

yes. because if they were on a day rate, then would they act in the same stupid manner?

wibble:

Well, here’s the thing . . . . . . (for me anyway)

One for the mathematicians . . . . . . How long, in seconds does it take a car to overtake a truck doing 40mph, and how long if the truck’s doing 56 ? Don’t bother to try working it out - the answer is pretty much irrelevant. Except that one will be probably nanoseconds more than the other.

But . . . . . . . . Of the two vehicles, which is equipped with a speed recording device, that be checked and verified months and months later ?

Car drivers’ argument . . . . . “Had the truck been travelling at 40mph rather than the 56mph, I would have completed my overtaking manoeuvre in time”

So I ain’t no way, no how going to put myself at risk of prosecution/imprisonment for having someone pile into the side of me, or him having a head-on with the School Bus coming the other way.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Actually, with the relevant speeds of 40mph, 56mph and 60mph - the difference is about 8 seconds.

YeahYeah - I know that’s not very “real world” but it would be a very easy argument for a “clever lawyer” to make.

limeyphil:

ROG:

limeyphil:
yes. because if they were on a day rate, then would they act in the same stupid manner?

So you would TELL a driver who you employed to deliberately break the law ?

yes.

ROG has perfectly hit the nail on the head…

Dambuster…what you fail to realise is most car drivers will hang back till it’s safe to overtake, if they are following a truck driving at 50-56mph…Whereas they get angry and fustrated following a truck doing 40mph…(who makes no effort to let anyone pass)…so take stupid risks to overtake…
So it’s not a question of calculating out how long it takes a car to overtake…it’s a calculation of how many car drivers will risk their lives to overtake

Limeyphil…a driver is fully entitled to follow the any speed limit…even if it stretches the day out…and cost you more money…as it’s his/her license that will getting the points not yours…although i expect you will be nice enough to pay the fine…At worse if anything serious happens the driver could tell plod that you encouraged this kind of pratice… and put pressure on you drivers…Then you’ll be getting a visit.

and finally…lets be honest here people…with the exception of “Man in his Camera van”…or “Speed Cameras”…how often does a copper who’s following behind actually pull ya…Your more likely to get a dirty look off them for creating a massive queue.

Koop:

MR VAIN:
When i attend the coroners court in 12days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient.

I’d do exactly that, reiterate that the law is an ■■■ and that you/we “professional” drivers should be able to drive as suited to the conditions.

I don’t know anything about your RTC, but judging by your response i take it you are telling the truth? And that the car driver was impatient?

Right, firstly, why would i lie? It would serve no purpose to lie. I won’t be telling the court anything at all about the law being an ■■■. In fact i’m going to say as little as possible, i expect the deceased family will be there. Yes he was impatient, there was no other explanation.

Sorry, didn’t mean to put you in a bad mood!

I’ll keep quiet.

■■ it…no i wont!!

“When i attend the coroners court in 12days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient”

This is [zb] then?

Koop:
Sorry, didn’t mean to put you in a bad mood!

I’ll keep quiet.

[zb] it…no i wont!!

“When i attend the coroners court in 12days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient”

This is [zb] then?

You dint put me in a bad mood Koop, maybe it came accross wrong :blush: My point is i don’t feel i’m in a postion to make judgement, but, to make it a little clearer, anyone making a 3 lane over taking manouvre crossing double white lines to do so is clearly impatient.