This Forum is Divided

This forum is divided between those of us who stick to the 40mph speed limits on SCs, however stupid we think they are, and those who bash on regardless hoping they will always spot the camera.

It’s no surpise that the self employed want to get done as fast as they can because their income depends on it; but I am always amazed by the hourly paid drivers who boast of how quickly they can get from A to B, even though they earn less as a result.

Apart from those who are forced to by limiters, I wonder if anyone keeps to the 50mph on DCs?

hmm i can only speak for myself but usally on DC’s i have found that trucks are mostly flat out, as said i cant speak for the majority but just what i have found in my experience. Another point to make is, even if its a long dual carraige with no fixed cameras, how many traffic officers would pull a truck doing 56,55 on a DC?? Does every copper even bobbys in the 1.4 diesel ford focus no the speed limits for trucks?? i dunno :confused:

Santa:
This forum is divided between those of us who stick to the 40mph speed limits on SCs, however stupid we think they are, and those who bash on regardless hoping they will always spot the camera.

It’s no surpise that the self employed want to get done as fast as they can because their income depends on it; but I am always amazed by the hourly paid drivers who boast of how quickly they can get from A to B, even though they earn less as a result.

Apart from those who are forced to by limiters, I wonder if anyone keeps to the 50mph on DCs?

on SC’s i sit at between 40 and 45 (depending on the road ie. if i know it or not, if its safe to do so with the weather conditions, if there are any cameras or not) but on DC’s i sit at 53 cos thats all mine will do on the limiter (now i know how JD feels! :imp: )

FarnboroughBoy11:
hmm i can only speak for myself but usally on DC’s i have found that trucks are mostly flat out, as said i cant speak for the majority but just what i have found in my experience. Another point to make is, even if its a long dual carraige with no fixed cameras, how many traffic officers would pull a truck doing 56,55 on a DC?? Does every copper even bobbys in the 1.4 diesel ford focus no the speed limits for trucks?? i dunno :confused:

I agree with Farnborough, most of the time (56mph) flat out on DC’s :exclamation:
I was pulled once though by (IMAO) a Newbie, jobsworth know it all copper for a chat :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

I know we have had this debate many times but I look at it this way…

Those that wish to break the 40mph law in NSLs, but not unsafely, do so at the risk of their licence and no-one elses - fair play - they deliberately make a positive decision to take that risk.

Those that wish to break the above law and so so unsafely, including driving too closely to intimidate others, should be punished.

Those that stick to the 40 limit in NSLs should also be aware that they may cause others to become frustrated which may lead to risk taking in order to pass and although there is no law that says a 40 mph driver MUST accomodate those behind, it would be good driving practise to do so if safely possible.

As for those that stick to 40 in NSLs and then go to max limiter speed on duals … that I would regard as driving very selfishly and will cause more frustration to those that wish to pass.

Well, that’s my view for what it’s worth…

I couldnt agree more Rog :slight_smile:

Funny how the drivers who do less than 40mph because they are ‘hourly paid’ never pull over for a few minutes to let everyone else get on :unamused:

i dont mind the guys doin 40 on a sc but it does get on me [zb]s when you get too a little bit of dc and they floor it to the limiter so u cant get past then the min the back on sc they brake down to 40 again, why couldnt he just trundle along to 45 on the dc n let ev1 past and that way nobody really gettin held up and it would stop the stupid overtakers chancing there lives on bad bends, this happens reguarly on the a9 in scotland n am sure highlander would back me up on this

What amuses me is when the "Professional " driver is overtaking me on a SC shaking his/her head in dismay,and then I observe the speed limit warning sticker on the trailer stating that “this vehicle is limited to 40mph by law on single carraigeways”.

As the great Colin McRae said( R.I.P Colin)

“iF in doubt, flat out” :smiley:

im hourly paid and nearly always flatout(where its safe) on SC 56 on DC 56 motorways 56 in bed 0 (mrs might not agree there n say 56)
if im holding anybody up i pull in n let them pass,and ease off when there overtaken
for all the 40 brigade on SC who go flatout on DC after ive been behind you for what seems like a lifetime so i cant get passed hope ur nxt ■■■■■ is a backwards hedgehog

scotstrucker:
i dont mind the guys doin 40 on a sc but it does get on me [zb]s when you get too a little bit of dc and they floor it to the limiter so u cant get past then the min the back on sc they brake down to 40 again, why couldnt he just trundle along to 45 on the dc n let ev1 past and that way nobody really gettin held up and it would stop the stupid overtakers chancing there lives on bad bends, this happens reguarly on the a9 in scotland n am sure highlander would back me up on this

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cant agree with you more, this happens everytime wen im up n down the A9

scotstrucker:

I get this on the A303 a few times, spoils a good early morning run when they do that, if you wanna be jonny jobsworth on the sc’s fine but don’t become a zb on the dc’s and nail it :imp:

i have said it before but the A17 is a sod for that, those bloody reefer lads…

they drive at 40mph all the way on the SC until sleaford when its DC then…WHHHOOOOOOOOOOSH pedal to the metal there making a run for the border :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused:

I try and stick to the limits because I always seem to be driving down the road that has the camera van on it. Working from Norfolk it is an occupational hazard.

Having said that I also drive a car and hate getting stuck behind lorries. Therefore I will always accomodate ANY driver that wishes to overtake me. This includes slowing down to allow any build up of traffic to pass.

This doesn’t always work if the vehicle right behind you chooses to stay there, then no one else passes.

When beinng overtaken by other lorries on DCs or motorways I will always slow down if they are struggling, and lets face it we’ve all been there. What I dislike is the comedians that keep their foot down whilst you are overtaking and accelerate past you leaving you in the middle of the road.
It is not very professional and in some circumstances dangerous.

Flat out all the way i have tried that 40 thing for about 10 miles then my foot went back to the metal :laughing: :laughing:

Doesn’t matter what road I’m on, it’s the speed limit all day long for me. If that annoys anyone on a SC, then I apologise but the law is the law. I’ve been where you are and I have the points to prove it. And as I’m paid by the hour…KERRRRRRCHING!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If in doubt drive flat out… Not PAID BY THE HOUR, KEEP ER ON THE LIMITER, yeehaa…

Big ■■■■:
Flat out all the way i have tried that 40 thing for about 10 miles then my foot went back to the metal :laughing: :laughing:

Makes me tired and want to sleep when going that slow…

I have no probs with people goingf 40mph… Let me by and no probs… Its the ■■■■■ who put the foot down when you go to overtake that ■■■■ me off or the ■■■■ who sit at 40mh on SC then on dual go to teh limiter… Dont they know the max on DC is 50MPH… Goodytooshoe ■■■■■■ One day al put someone in a field… Bit of tail whip didnt hurt anyone… Keep er lit tangs…