third time lucky?

Going for my cat C test for the third time on saturday. First time: just wasn’t ready - getting the gears wrong, crawling round roundabouts in third, realised I wasn’t passing when the examiner had to put the hazards on… :cry: Second time: driving much better, gears fine, just made a couple of stupid errors of judgement (overtaking a cyclist with a bend coming up). Third time lucky? Got my fingers, toes, legs, eyes and kidneys crossed…

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome ricardopresto :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

On reading your post it seems that you are making general driving errors rather than errors that are particular to LGV. Is this down to test day nerves :question:

Do you have a C1 on your licence already or are you doing the Initial driver cpc :question:

Hi rog

C1 on licence - don’t really understand the ins and outs of this cpc thing. As for test day nerves, I think you’re probably spot on - that and just not paying attention.

ricardopresto:
C1 on licence

In that case you do NOT need THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC

ricardopresto:
don’t really understand the ins and outs of this cpc thing

You WILL need to do THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC but you have until 09 09 2014

Thanks rog, that’s cleared that one up for me :slight_smile:

Good luck with the test :slight_smile:

Thanks mate

Good luck mate. keep calm and focused. Remember to breath and relax your grip on the wheel. This will help you stop sweating and show the examiner you are relaxed. good luck again. :smiley: :smiley:

Little relaxation tip if you have stopped at a set of lights that has just turned red -
Handbrake on - low range engaged - into neutral - both feet off pedals - rub back of neck with both hands - stretch legs forward as far as possible - deep breath and blow it out.

Your brain will temporarily disengage from driving and feel relaxed

The examiner cannot mark you down for taking both hands off the wheel in this situation as it is safe.

ricardopresto:
Going for my cat C test for the third time on saturday.

C’mon don’t keep us in suspense - we are here to support you whichever way it went :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bad news I’m afraid. The drive to the test centre was great, no problems at all. My instructor said that all I had to do was drive like that for another hour and I’d breeze it. So what do I do? Turn out of the test centre in fourth gear and then forget to flick the switch going for sixth. End up in second, pretty much come to a halt and there you go - failed before I’d even got going. Haven’t done anything like that since my first couple of lessons. Went on to clip a kerb turning left at a T-junction - something I’ve NEVER done before. Nerves, nerves, nerves. Must be, mustn’t it?

Thanks for the messages of support and advice; it means a lot.

Fourth time lucky?

Classic case of test nerves - have you tried taking KALMS :question:

Never heard of them mate - what are they?

Sorry to hear that :frowning:

ricardopresto:
Never heard of them mate - what are they?

HERBAL nerve calming tablets.

I know of some trainees who took 3 a day and as it got closer to test time they increased the amount - one took about 6 of them about 2 hours prior to the actual test and did no harm as they are HERBAL

ROG:
one took about 6 of them about 2 hours prior to the actual test and did no harm as they are HERBAL

The important question is did they work? :smiley:

I’ll give them a go. I’ll try them out before my next test - I’d hate to take anything that made me drowsy or slow at all (drowsy & slow enough as it is). Thanks for the advice - I think you’re absolutely right about test day nerves. It’s so frustrating when you know that you can do it but you just can’t do it on the day. If you know what I mean :wink:

mrpj:

ROG:
one took about 6 of them about 2 hours prior to the actual test and did no harm as they are HERBAL

The important question is did they work? :smiley:

They seemed to :slight_smile:

I’ll have to disagree with the herbal stuff. The girlfriend bought them for me ready for my first Cat C test and they seemed to have no effect at all. Although I had worked myself into a state and had convinced myself I would fail which probably didn’t help. Worrying is one thing I can do very well. Was about ready to ring my instructor and cancel my test but I just thought I’d go give it my best shot. Ended up failing with 14 minors and 2 serious. Re-took it 2 weeks later, no herbal tablets, no nothing and passed with 2 minors.

For me it was the going away and then turning up without the pressure of trying to cram the training and test into my head. Everything I had been taught had sunk in, and the pre-drive was a decent drive with only the really slight errors still to iron out.

Good luck for your 4th attempt!!

ricardopresto:
Bad news I’m afraid. The drive to the test centre was great, no problems at all. My instructor said that all I had to do was drive like that for another hour and I’d breeze it. So what do I do? Turn out of the test centre in fourth gear and then forget to flick the switch going for sixth. End up in second, pretty much come to a halt and there you go - failed before I’d even got going. Haven’t done anything like that since my first couple of lessons. Went on to clip a kerb turning left at a T-junction - something I’ve NEVER done before. Nerves, nerves, nerves. Must be, mustn’t it?

Thanks for the messages of support and advice; it means a lot.

Fourth time lucky?

We’ve all done it. I went out in a Scania last week with a 3/3 box, i caused absolute chaos for the first few hours :laughing: Just laugh it off and put it behnd you.

Good luck :smiley: