Thinking About A Career in LGV Driving

I found that these type of firms also regard the tacho and hours regs as the drivers problem and not theirs. So whilst they don’t want you to expressly break the law, they get funny if they call you and you say you’re on a break and might stuggle to finish all your drops or something (after they put too many on in the first place).

One quote from an erstwhile employer of mine was ‘these boys have to go like stink to get round’. :unamused:

Calm down dear, it’s just a commercial :laughing:. Seriousley though, whilst not wanting to stymie the thread, a bit of thought would be nice, as it’s you who are liable for what you say on these boards :wink:. Not directed at anyone, just a word of warning.

Id say go for it…ive had no regrets and dont think i ever will and would recommend it to anyone…just my opinion.

Some crap wages around though so try get on with a firm that pays well…lads around my area employed by a firm bring home around £350.00 a week which isnt too bad…or you could try and go straight into owner driving like i have done although owner driving isnt for everyone.

Matt

With all the cons in the job there is one good point that you do get to travel. Granted most places you dont want to go to but every now and then you end up with a good run to somewhere nice. If you are lucky and get a job doing europe you will evedently see more.

There are alot of people who above have said that the hours are very long and they are, but some large firms are now working 4 days on 4 days off. So in theoy you are off work as much as you are in. There are pro’s and con’s to all aspects of every job. So long as you dont let ppl treat you as a door mat you will do fine in transport. If you do you end up bitter and twisted hence Rob K’s attitude

Paul10M if one of the 1st questions you are asking is “will the truck have air con”? I would seriously suggest the job is not for you.
By the way, trucks don’t get as hot inside as cars as there is not the same area of raked glass & they also better insulated.

Bikemonkey, you mentioned over £400 for 60 hours including n/out money (which should never be included in wage calculations) !!! At £400, assuming just a measly £15/night x 4 nights out = £60 leaving only £340 for 60 hours…less stoppages = not a lot :frowning:

Driveroneuk:
Bikemonkey, you mentioned over £400 for 60 hours including n/out money (which should never be included in wage calculations) !!! At £400, assuming just a measly £15/night x 4 nights out = £60 leaving only £340 for 60 hours…less stoppages = not a lot :frowning:

Why■■?
I was doing 4 nights out ,week in week out ,so I knew what I was getting every week,I see no reason why It should not be included in my wage calculations.
It was £410 which aint bad money for sitting on my arse all week considering I work 60hrs a week on a building site and earn £20 less
Why do all these truckers moan about low wages if they earn a lot more than £400 a week
I was’nt moaning,easiest effort to money ratio job i’ve ever had. :wink:

bikemonkey:

Driveroneuk:

Why■■?
I was doing 4 nights out ,week in week out ,so I knew what I was getting every week,I see no reason why It should not be included in my wage calculations.
It was £410 which aint bad money for sitting on my arse all week considering I work 60hrs a week on a building site and earn £20 less
Why do all these truckers moan about low wages if they earn a lot more than £400 a week

Forget your night out money, which I think would be more like £18 per night than £15 (correct me if I’m wrong).

So 410 less 72 is 338, so call it £400 top line. You’re working for roughly £6.67 all hours. Hardly anything to write home about is it? Jon has a point.

Rob K:

bikemonkey:

Driveroneuk:

Why■■?

Forget your night out money, which I think would be more like £18 per night than £15 (correct me if I’m wrong).

So 410 less 72 is 338, so call it £400 top line. You’re working for roughly £6.67 all hours. Hardly anything to write home about is it? Jon has a point.

Your right, it isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s getting you that all invaluable experience.

Why is it that,the people add their expenses to the wage sum which is payed out,as previously stated this is only giveing a false sum which then makes it look as if you are realy earning a good wage when in reality you are ““not””, If any one thinks this is okay what do you get when you are on the ““SSP”” due to illness, what ever i am payed for and known as ““EXPENSES”” is nothing to do with my wage for the work I have carried out,

Whay is it that no one factors “experience” into the equasion (exscuse spelling, slightly ratted :laughing:). A fully time served electrician wouldn’t expect to pull in the same wages as a fully time served apprentice, call me up my own arse, but neither would a lorry driver. When can you ge tthat into your heads when calculating wages :laughing:.

Now I’m going to skeddadle for the weekend. Where’s the tin 'at? :laughing:

£338 - say basic 20% income tax = £270.40 - (guesstimate) £20 N.I. = £250.40 :- 60 = £4.17 per hour
not accounting for, quite possibly unpaid, statutary breaks.
There are home counties based 7.5 tonne jobs about at £7.50/hour gross.

Motorhead, just a thought, Burton Latimer isn’t very far from you; I’m sure Morrisons will need new drivers to train, as Wincantons do, doing the same job in northampton.

once you have a licence you will at least have another string to your bow.
i know its an old fashioned concept but see if any local hauliers will use you as a yard boy on Saturdays do a bit of shunting and loading…they if your happy take the plunge

If you are that worried about your truck having air con, Id seriously re consider…I mean, as a newbie, all you need to be worried about is if your motor has a wheel on each corner…after that, ecverything elce is a bonus!! :open_mouth:
Im always facinated by the amount of people who say they want to be ‘truck drivers’…I think theyve been pigging out on too many Yorkie bars whilst watching Convoy over & over again!
You can either do this job, or you cant, theres no middle ground. As well as actually being able to couple up/reverse/load/sheet/tip your vehicle, you also need to be able to work out routes, get to know where you can get decent food/ showers etc etc. It doesnt all come straight away, & believe me, you will end up with the worst jobs & the worst motor on the fleet, no one is going to do you any favours until you can prove to your boss that you can actually do the job, so I think worrying about air con is waaaa down the list! :confused:
T.■■

Truckette:
If you are that worried about your truck having air con, Id seriously re consider…I mean, as a newbie, all you need to be worried about is if your motor has a wheel on each corner…after that, ecverything elce is a bonus!! :open_mouth:
Im always facinated by the amount of people who say they want to be ‘truck drivers’…I think theyve been pigging out on too many Yorkie bars whilst watching Convoy over & over again!
You can either do this job, or you cant, theres no middle ground. As well as actually being able to couple up/reverse/load/sheet/tip your vehicle, you also need to be able to work out routes, get to know where you can get decent food/ showers etc etc. It doesnt all come straight away, & believe me, you will end up with the worst jobs & the worst motor on the fleet, no one is going to do you any favours until you can prove to your boss that you can actually do the job, so I think worrying about air con is waaaa down the list! :confused:
T.■■

Well said! :wink:

Truckette feels relieved that LadyTrucker agrees with her
I thought I m,ay have gone & ranted a bit much there! :blush: I’ll get off me soap box now!
BTW Lady Trucker…I see your from Burton O T.What is it with that place?..all those flippin’ brewery buildings all saying ‘Coors’ on them…it took me ages trying to find Marstons the other day, I ended up in the town centre going round & round in circles!! :open_mouth:
T.■■

Truckette:
Truckette feels relieved that LadyTrucker agrees with her
I thought I m,ay have gone & ranted a bit much there! :blush: I’ll get off me soap box now!
BTW Lady Trucker…I see your from Burton O T.What is it with that place?..all those flippin’ brewery buildings all saying ‘Coors’ on them…it took me ages trying to find Marstons the other day, I ended up in the town centre going round & round in circles!! :open_mouth:
T.■■

Ranting is incouraged as long as it’s on topic and devoid of obsenities. :wink: this is a place for healthy debate. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ahh the Burton road system is designed so that you are convinced you are already drunk so you might as well pull up and indulge in more of the local brew. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I probally going to repeat alot that has been said, but basically

1. Truck driving gets you away from being stuck in the same place, but you’ll always work for the money you earn.

2. The job is what you make of it, if you want to go trunking great, don’t complain when you’re bored, if you want to tramp great, but don’t complain when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night.

3. When you start beggers can’t be chosers, as long as the kit is legal and they run you legal, don’t expect the latest mega truck and big money. That’s for those who’ve done a few years.
    I started on a battered Renault G290 (known as the scrapper) on 5 nights out a week. Not a problem, boss was great and wasn’t to worried when I bumped into a car in the first month.
    3a. enjoy driving you’re scrapper, it makes great stories latter on in your career.

4. Not all companies that take on new or young drivers run bent, (see point 3) Some do it because they understand that people need a chance and like to help and like to have keen drivers.

5. Some days I wish I had a nice little office job, but on the whole getting my HGV’s was the best thing I could have done. The job has taken me round europe and let me see things I would have never seen and met some great characters on the way.

Stay of the bulkers …

muckles:
I probally going to repeat alot that has been said, but basically

1. Truck driving gets you away from being stuck in the same place, but you’ll always work for the money you earn.

2. The job is what you make of it, if you want to go trunking great, don’t complain when you’re bored, if you want to tramp great, but don’t complain when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night.

3. When you start beggers can’t be chosers, as long as the kit is legal and they run you legal, don’t expect the latest mega truck and big money. That’s for those who’ve done a few years.
    I started on a battered Renault G290 (known as the scrapper) on 5 nights out a week. Not a problem, boss was great and wasn’t to worried when I bumped into a car in the first month.
    3a. enjoy driving you’re scrapper, it makes great stories latter on in your career.

4. Not all companies that take on new or young drivers run bent, (see point 3) Some do it because they understand that people need a chance and like to help and like to have keen drivers.

5. Some days I wish I had a nice little office job, but on the whole getting my HGV’s was the best thing I could have done. The job has taken me round europe and let me see things I would have never seen and met some great characters on the way.

:bulb: Good post Muckles.