Welcome to TruckNet UK paulm10 and good luck
if you do decide to do it :smiley: . Did you pass your car test
before January 1997 because if so you will have
entitlement to drive 7 1/2 ton trucks giving you experience
of the industry and tachographs and if you sign up with
a agency they might pay for further training but probably
with a 2 year contract clause. You could look for funding
or a young drivers scheme possibly.

That would be my suggestion if you have the relevant catagory on your licence, see if you can get some 7.5t work through an agency. You can ask as many people as you like what it is like as an lgv driver and everyone will give you a different answer. The only way you will know if if is for you is to “have a go.”

If you can “have a go” on 7.5tonners you will have some idea as to whether it is for you.

If you don’t have the relevant catagory (i.e. passed after january 1997) I would suggest going straight for the class 2. At the end of the day, even if you don’t like it, you will have a skill to fall back on if things go pear shaped.

as Paulm doesnt mention his age and the other bloke admits he has been mincing about for a few years :stuck_out_tongue: I should say that in a deep voice if you can :smiley:

Driving trucks is more a way of life than a get rich quick scheme! £22000 in Corby might sound attractive for a night shift, now, but when you break it down into an hourly rate, it might surprise you.

I was going to drive trucks from about the age of 7, when I realised that to be Prime Minister or a Dalek you had to be a bit older. although there are many people who have come into this industry from other jobs or careers.

I would visit some haulage companies and ask a few questions, read some of the more serious publications like Commercial Motor or Motor Transport, rather than the glossy mags with the blinged up trucks to give you some idea.

A lot of truckdriving jobs can be monotonous and repetitive, some are not. I have visited every country in Europe whilst driving a truck. I have probably driven most types of haulage vehicle, although not all marques, (yet)

Dont expect any favours, or mod cons as a new driver, you may get them eventually when you prove you are reliable and honest.

Things have improved immensely over the years since I started work, if you ran over your hours to get the job done, you were rewarded with a longer run the next week, with less time to do it in. Now you can easily end up in prison :open_mouth:

There isnt an easy answer, there isnt an easy life in trucks, unless you want to drive a container lorry :smiley:

Any more questions post them here, and someone will give you totally different advice.

If I were you mate, I wouldnt start from here :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
There isnt an easy answer, there isnt an easy life in trucks, unless you want to drive a container lorry :smiley:

Me dad did that for about 3 months and said it was the easiest work he’s ever had :smiley:

I’ve been doing it for 3 and a half years (tried general haulage first) and can concur that it is… :sunglasses: …the only downside is the stupid long working day, and the physical shock of being put on tilts (see “trailers” thread) when the work goes slack. :open_mouth:

Put it this way…you can do boxes still at 8 months pregnant - in fact, longer if your other half doesn’t put his foot down ( :unamused: ) :wink:

Ps. Roll on September. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
as Paulm doesnt mention his age and the other bloke admits he has been mincing about for a few years :stuck_out_tongue: I should say that in a deep voice if you can :smiley:

I’m 34.

Paul,

I am also 34 with no background in driving coming from IT. Have just been made redundant and fancying a change (bored with sitting at a screen indoors all day) just done my LGV2. Really enjoyed my first two days work, even if the truck was a bit of a banger.

I plan to see how I get on driving - and go from there. I may end up going back into IT, then again if I am still enjoying driving then I will keep at it. If you can afford the LGV2 then I would recommend trying it, if it is a stretch financially then probably best to try some 7.5t work first and see how you get on with that !!

G

Hello Again

“Mincing around in offices” - That was a bad choice of words!!
:laughing:
Just that it s got me nowhere fast trying to play “office poltics” katowing all day to bosses. Driving appeals because you seem to have less of this crap to put up with and u can be yourself. :open_mouth:
Anyway digging a hole so I’ll quit while I’m ahead. :laughing:

Again loads of good advice here. I’ve started taking steps towards getting my license ( ie; done medical, got learner license and studying towards the theory test. )

Facing the sack from my current job - again office politics not working out! So lining up work as a driver’s mate or hopefully driving under a 7.5 tonne truck. See how I get on before taking the plunge and shelling out my cash for the training.

Like anything : Nothing in life is easy!!!
Anyway feel like I’m highjacking this thread so thanks again everyone for the advice.

Steve

Good luck with your theory test and future training Steve :smiley:

Anyway feel like I’m highjacking this thread so thanks again everyone for the advice.

Steve

thats no problem, just start another and post what you like :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

All or most office bod’s are [zb]s anyway m8,your best of out of it.Good luck with the theory test m8,hope it all work’s out for you. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You knew that would go! L. :wink:

As already said good luck with your theory
test and future training Steve and I hope it
all work’s out for you :smiley: .

What would go? i can’t even remember what i wrote. :laughing: :laughing:

motorhead - there is a new Argos operation at Corby - opposite the Hilton Hotel; they are advertising for class 1 drivers on a big banner. Maybe if you call in they may be able to help you get your licence…

Would it be worth asking the Jobcentre for help with your training? They may have something somewhere, go and hassle them, make a nuisance of yourself :wink:.

I asked about help with training costs when I last signed on and they said
"No. We can’t help with you with that! You’ll have to pay the training costs yourself!
■■■■ I thought! :frowning:

I asked the same question myself and they looked at me like I had grown a second head. If you are really interested then there are “Career Development Loans” available but obviously you have to pay that back !!!

Another thing to bear in mind is that the only companies that employ new drivers run illegally and will expect you to do the same. As pointed out in the professional drivers section this could land you with a £2500 fine so this is another factor to consider.

mrpj:
Another thing to bear in mind is that the only companies that employ new drivers run illegally and will expect you to do the same. As pointed out in the professional drivers section this could land you with a £2500 fine so this is another factor to consider.

how did you come to that assumption that “companies that take on new drivers run illegally” :angry: :angry:
It annoys me when people dont think things through before posting on this site,fair enough its true to a FEW companies,but I was taken on by a fairly large company,I had no experience,and they did things by the book.
you would of been sacked if you bent the rules+ regs
I knew of other fairly big firms who took on new uns,and also ran straight.
You’re a mug if you go and run bent,new or not,and I cant believe that a new driver cant get a job with a firm that runs straight.

The firms that take on newly passed drivers or young drivers might be the types to take the ■■■■ a lot…expecting you to work twice as hard and do stuff that older hands wouldn’t do, but I don’t think it’s fair to say they expect you to break the law.

Your back maybe, but not the law. :laughing:

Andyroo:
The firms that take on newly passed drivers or young drivers might be the types to take the [zb] a lot…expecting you to work twice as hard and do stuff that older hands wouldn’t do, but I don’t think it’s fair to say they expect you to break the law.

Your back maybe, but not the law. :laughing:

On reflection my post above was OTT regarding companies running illegally (and I apologize to anyone who it caused offence to). This post by Andyroo sums up the situation a lot better, although having said that I did start at a company that expected you to ignore tacho breaks (which I didn’t) so I was forced to leave. As you can imagine I’m still bitter about it :imp: