The unmarked HGV is being sneaky again

twitter.com/roadpolicebch/statu … 42208?s=21

Ok, this was a fair cop, but you can expect them to lie to catch you, I can’t see a lot of snow in any of those pics

I wonder if they will be out being sneaky looking for the curtain slashers / diesel thieves .

I THINK NOT

Happy Trucker1:
I wonder if they will be out being sneaky looking for the curtain slashers / diesel thieves .

I THINK NOT

Nah, too much like real.Police work is that, much easier catching motorists and truckers…with the added bonus of a good pay day,.which is much more important to them than us getting our fuel nicked overnight.

However,.I’ve kinda (partly) changed my views on all this though tbf, I ain’t got a problem with them catching texters or guys watching stuff on their phone, they take that chance so nobody’s fault but their own…(although I fail to see a difference between touching a phone screen to bring up BBC sounds,.and touching a touch screen in a new Actros for example to switch the ■■■■ radio on, but as usual zero discretion on it.)

But what bugs me is the minor stuff like drinking a coffee or eating a sarnie, or a QUICK glance at a note if you are holding it.

No doubt the brainwashed and the gullible will come back at me with stats about ‘The great M6 sandwich massacre’ or 'Somebody who wiped out a school bus while drinking his skinny latte, but you can say wtf you like, …If you have a brain and 2 eyes,.what’s the problem unless you are some inept buffoon… but those guys are always going to come a cropper whatever,.coffee and a bacon sarnie or not. :unamused:

It is it idiots like the 7.5 tonner or C whichever it is that means these are around.

Talk about totally oblivious.
youtu.be/1QFiO7Fmqr4

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:
It is it idiots like the 7.5 tonner or C whichever it is that means these are around.

k

I’m surprised they didn’t Tpac him [emoji38]

robroy:
…(although I fail to see a difference between touching a phone screen to bring up BBC sounds,.and touching a touch screen in a new Actros for example to switch the [zb] radio on, but as usual zero discretion on it.)

Both legal if the phone is in a fixed holder

But what bugs me is the minor stuff like drinking a coffee or eating a sarnie, or a QUICK glance at a note if you are holding it.

No doubt the brainwashed and the gullible will come back at me with stats about ‘The great M6 sandwich massacre’ or 'Somebody who wiped out a school bus while drinking his skinny latte, but you can say wtf you like, …If you have a brain and 2 eyes,.what’s the problem unless you are some inept buffoon… but those guys are always going to come a cropper whatever,.coffee and a bacon sarnie or not. :unamused:

That’s kind of the point of posting, that the professional driver just needs to add a mirror check into everything else that they do to make those activities safe. [emoji106]

stu675:

robroy:
…(although I fail to see a difference between touching a phone screen to bring up BBC sounds,.and touching a touch screen in a new Actros for example to switch the [zb] radio on, but as usual zero discretion on it.)

That’s kind of the point of posting, that the professional driver just needs to add a mirror check into everything else that they do to make those activities safe. [emoji106]

I’d suggest you be careful giving out advice saying it’s legal to touch the phone screen in a holder. Whilst It isn’t completely illegal neither is touching a built in sat nav whilst driving. But you can still be done for driving without due care and attention same goes for vehicle in screen displays, if you are fiddling with it you can be done as above.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

stu675:

Hmmm you sure about that?
Recently, as far as I remember things changed,.where it was specifically stated that changing music on a phone, (holder or not) was illegal.
Also dialling on the screen.
Where as dialing on your dash via the bluetooth was legal.

robroy:

stu675:

Hmmm you sure about that?
Recently, as far as I remember things changed,.where it was specifically stated that changing music on a phone, (holder or not) was illegal.
Also dialling on the screen.
Where as dialing on your dash via the bluetooth was legal.

Using devices hands-free

You can use devices with hands-free access, as long as you do not hold them at any time during usage. Hands-free access means using, for example:

a Bluetooth headset
voice command
a dashboard holder or mat
a windscreen mount
a built-in sat nav

from gov.uk gov.uk/using-mobile-phones- … ng-the-law

simcor:
I’d suggest you be careful giving out advice saying it’s legal to touch the phone screen in a holder. Whilst It isn’t completely illegal neither is touching a built in sat nav whilst driving. But you can still be done for driving without due care and attention

You need to have a licence, road tax and MOT to legally drive, do I need to tell Robroy that as well in every answer? [emoji849]

You can be done for driving without due care and attention with both hands not leaving the steering wheel!

stu675:

simcor:
I’d suggest you be careful giving out advice saying it’s legal to touch the phone screen in a holder. Whilst It isn’t completely illegal neither is touching a built in sat nav whilst driving. But you can still be done for driving without due care and attention

You need to have a licence, road tax and MOT to legally drive, do I need to tell Robroy that as well in every answer? [emoji849]

You can be done for driving without due care and attention with both hands not leaving the steering wheel!

Hey !..I am here you know :! :wink: :laughing:

Ok, so seeing as we’ve established that I’m a bit slow on the uptake. :slight_smile: ,.can we just finally clarify and put this to bed…imagine this window in my miserable life :bulb:

I’m driving down the M6 thoroughly bored with life, (the fact made worse that I’ve got Jeremy ■■■■ Vine, on the radio. :unamused: )

So…
I think up a cunning plan,.I’ll have a singalong to JBJ instead, ‘Living on a Prayer’ :sunglasses:

Knock Vine right off,.(accompanied by a verbal… ‘Go and ■■■■ yourself Vine,.and stick your ■■■■ allotment up your arse’’ to make me feel better .)

Touch my phone (in it’s holder !! ).without actually picking it up.
Straight on to Spotify, one finger, Bon Jovi …select,
Living on a Prayer, one finger …select.
Volume turned up to one point below the pain barrier…select one finger again.

But behold :open_mouth: …I look up (even though I’d checked my mirror Stu,…thanks for that btw ) and Old Bill is pointing his camera at me. :open_mouth:

Does he…

A… Shout through open window…''Good choice Rob, but I prefer ‘Dead or Alive’ . and drive on looking for drivers drinking Costa and eating Mars bars.

B. Pull me, lecture me, patronise me (getting used to that bit on HERE btw :wink: ) then nick me, to which I say…
‘’ But Stu on Trucknet said it was legal’'.

A or B ■■? :smiley:

(Leave the licence and MOT bit out in your answer Stu btw,.I’ve got that bit boxed off in my mind now :laughing: :laughing: )

How about…
Look out screen, mirror check…Shut down Vine.
Look out screen, mirror check…Spotify
Look out screen, mirror check …Artist
Look out screen, mirror check…Track
Look out screen, mirror check…Volume

Then it wouldnt be: mirror check, fiddle about, then *truck that wasnt even in sight is now alongside you.*

If it goes from nowt in mirror to “he`s right beside me” how good or frequent are those mirror checks?

Cmon, you cant be that bad can you? :smiley:

Franglais:
How about…

Then it wouldnt be: mirror check, fiddle about, then *truck that wasnt even in sight is now alongside you.*

If it goes from nowt in mirror to “he`s right beside me” how good or frequent are those mirror checks?

As I said, I get the mirror bit, (Stu put me right on that bit …and now you :open_mouth: :smiley: ) …
This maybe proven by the fact I ain’t been caught having my Gregg’s weekly bacon sarnie and latte on a Sat morning yet.

My made up scenario was purely set out to establish if ■■■■■■■■■ my phone (leeeave it :smiley: ).in it’s holder., was deemed legal or illegal, due to the fact I’d maybe had a rough weekend and snouty coppers in DAF XF were too quick and switched on for me on that (imaginary) day.
My ‘‘Final answer’’ is Illegal…
.‘‘Deal or no deal’’? …or am I getting my quiz shows mixed up .

robroy:

Franglais:
How about…

As I said, I get the mirror bit, (Stu put me right on that bit …and now you :open_mouth: :smiley: ) …
This maybe proven by the fact I ain’t been caught having my Gregg’s weekly bacon sarnie and latte on a Sat morning yet.

My made up scenario was purely set out to establish if ■■■■■■■■■ my phone (leeeave it :smiley: ).in it’s holder., was deemed legal or illegal, due to the fact I’d maybe had a rough weekend and snouty coppers in DAF XF were too quick and switched on for me on that (imaginary) day.
My ‘‘Final answer’’ is Illegal…
.‘‘Deal or no deal’’? …or am I getting my quiz shows mixed up .

Phone/tablet whatever held on a rigid mount?
It is not a hand-held device any longer.

If you pay too much attention to anything inside the cab, touch-screens/phone/stereo knob/readers wives photos/papyrus scroll/ then you are in the smelly stuff. Keep it out of your hands and dont worry.

Never thought I’d be in a tag team with Franglais [emoji23] [emoji106]

theyre taking a real risk sneaking up,one day will pick the wrong guy who in fright may veer right into them -or pick a real wrong un and get shot thru the cab window. Bet the practice would get stopped overnight after the first shot .

I’d suspect they’d find something to pull you for even if they can’t technically do you for the phone.

It’s like drinking one can of beer while driving up the motorway. So long as you’re under the limit they cant really do a lot, but through sheer taking the ‘p’ I’d imagine they’d hammer you for something else instead.

corij:
theyre taking a real risk sneaking up,one day will pick the wrong guy who in fright may veer right into them -or pick a real wrong un and get shot thru the cab window. Bet the practice would get stopped overnight after the first shot .

You’re not normal are you?

At the end of the day,they are doing exactly the same as anybody else who works for a living,doing what they are told to do nothing more.

stu675:
Never thought I’d be in a tag team with Franglais [emoji23] [emoji106]

Spit roast with Rob in the middle!