The Tailgater

yet another vid of an idiot on the road. 50mph 10 metre behind (lines are centred at 9 metres) so that will be less than a gap of under half a second, and as there is no point to it there is no excuses.

An interesting figure quoted in the video "for this type of vehicle at 50mph the safe distance is 360 foot, which calculates out at 5 second gap. I always thought it was a two second gap (in good weather) 5 seconds would be a huge distance, for example the merc in font of the camera vehicle at 0:30 is a gap of about 1 second.

Anyone know what constitutes tailgating within the law ?

The biggest mistake LGV drivers make is thinking the 2 second rule is a safe distance for them.
The 2 second rule is a MINIMUM distance for a car with an alert driver in good conditions.
2 secs Minimum for a car and 4 Minimum for a truck will never go far wrong.
We are talking about stopping distances.
Safe travelling distances should be greater.

Bigger means priority.

That guy was an amateur compared to what goes on through the roadworks on the M1 and going across the A66 if you choose to stick to speed limits on the single carriageway sections.

You know the name of their company, its plastered all over the trailer. Send a link to the youtube video instead of posting it on here…

jjoplc.com/Contact/Information

JJO = kbbgateway.com/directory/lis … 9/JJO-PLC/

It’s a valid point but my god some people have very dull lives to sit and create them mini movies.

Off subject slightly but what camera is this as the picture is good & clear

TheNewBoy:
Off subject slightly but what camera is this as the picture is good & clear

I have no idea, the video is not mine, I don’t even have a dashcam, or want one.

I was just more interested in what the law actually says about tailgating, how is it defined ? Along with middle lane hogging this offence was highlighted by the government a couple of years ago to make the roads safer, but I have no idea what constitutes tailgating or can I find any record of anyone being done for it.

Can you say that the Mazda did not pull in in front of artic and take his stopping distance away in anticipation of leaving at Jnc 10 .
The camera which you have will have a 200 to 220 degree angle and be running at 30fps and if you know about dash cams they do not give a true reflection of what is in front of you distance wise.
You may not be doing the driver any favours by reporting him just based on those couple of seconds footage as he passed you, the other thing was what speed were you travelling at as your camera does not show it,it may mean that the Mazda was in fact sped up to get in and off as on the approach he would have had you ahead and JJO in lane two and if he didn’t want to slow and come in behind then his only option to make it was for him to overtake.
I agree that tailgating is a very big problem from trucks and motorists don’t know themselves any favours by sitting in lane one or two at 50 mph, I don’t condone this type of driving but there will never be two sides to the story as the Mazda driver will not have been able to put his side forward for you to be the independent witness with video footage.
If I got this to investigate from a complaint from yourself then I would want to see a bit more of what has gone on before and certainly more after as although he was not at the mandatory HC distances then as we all know half the Motorway could be tailgating based on what you show.
If you are going to possibly get someone the sack then make sure it’s for something that we all can see and agree with . This is just my opinion and not of any organisation or establishment that I work for,sits back and waits for attack.

Stefluc:
Can you say that the Mazda did not pull in in front of artic and take his stopping distance away in anticipation of leaving at Jnc 10 .
The camera which you have will have a 200 to 220 degree angle and be running at 30fps and if you know about dash cams they do not give a true reflection of what is in front of you distance wise.
You may not be doing the driver any favours by reporting him just based on those couple of seconds footage as he passed you, the other thing was what speed were you travelling at as your camera does not show it,it may mean that the Mazda was in fact sped up to get in and off as on the approach he would have had you ahead and JJO in lane two and if he didn’t want to slow and come in behind then his only option to make it was for him to overtake.
I agree that tailgating is a very big problem from trucks and motorists don’t know themselves any favours by sitting in lane one or two at 50 mph, I don’t condone this type of driving but there will never be two sides to the story as the Mazda driver will not have been able to put his side forward for you to be the independent witness with video footage.
If I got this to investigate from a complaint from yourself then I would want to see a bit more of what has gone on before and certainly more after as although he was not at the mandatory HC distances then as we all know half the Motorway could be tailgating based on what you show.
If you are going to possibly get someone the sack then make sure it’s for something that we all can see and agree with . This is just my opinion and not of any organisation or establishment that I work for,sits back and waits for attack.

Video is not mine. don’t have a dashcam or even want one.

yes the wide angle lens does make judging distances difficult, however white lines are a good indication, they are at centered at 9m on such roads. if the artic is doing 50, and I suspect it is, then it is reasonable to conclude it is not much more than 10m behind, which would be a gap of less than half a second, which to me seems stupidly close.

Oh dear Stefluc why are you trying to make excuses for a dangerous driver?
And yes probably right that half motorway drivers tailgate.
Get a grip on reality eh.

Just read this thread whilst on the bunk in Strensham, opened the curtains

And look who’s here

cracker-bar:
Just read this thread whilst on the bunk in Strensham, opened the curtains0
And look who’s here

hahahaha :laughing:

What you can’t tell is if the mazda slowed down judging by how far he is from the vehicle in front he is going faster than the 1 in front if he slows down it will close the gap to the truck behind.

cracker-bar:
Just read this thread whilst on the bunk in Strensham, opened the curtains0
And look who’s here[/quote

Go and knock on his door and show him. Dare ya :laughing:

Wilk:
Bigger means priority.

+1, could even say Mazda driver was lane hogging, that’s illegal too…:exclamation:

Pimpdaddy:

Wilk:
Bigger means priority.

+1, could even say Mazda driver was lane hogging, that’s illegal too…:exclamation:

What about the Mondeo(?) in “the fast lane” at the start of the clip? Also illegal? Certainly bad practice.
(I know the fast lane doesn’t exist, I used that term to highlight the mindset of these morons.)

People do stuff that’s illegal every second of every day.
Who gives a ■■■■!
It happens, move along, nothing to see here.
IMO who ever posted the video on YT needs to get a bloody hobby or summin :unamused:

Daytrunker:
What you can’t tell is if the mazda slowed down judging by how far he is from the vehicle in front he is going faster than the 1 in front if he slows down it will close the gap to the truck behind.

If that happened which is unlikely the truck driver should have backed off.
You could see clearly he was not backing off.

Gembo:
People do stuff that’s illegal every second of every day.
Who gives a [zb]!:roll:

+1, too many goody 2 shoes mr perfect jobswoths about.