The Sweeney

I recently rediscovered The Sweeney, a series I used to love when I was a youngster in the 70s. Even now, 40+ years later, it’s razor sharp - tight plots, cracking scripts, John Thaw’s creation of Jack Regan, and a thousand and one stunts that OH&S would never allow these days. It makes moder cop shows look like the plastic dross they really are.

What’s this got to do with wagons? Try this episode (“Drag Act” from series 4):

Transcons, various daggy old Leylands, TKs, and umpteen others, as well as bumpy pot-holed “lorry parks”. At about 32m20s in is a scene in a truck stop (I’m racking my brains where it might have been filmed - Toddington??) and I’m sure that’s an Axminster Transport F88 in the background.

Good stuff,brings back some memories ! I noticed the trailer was brand new when he was hitching up
everything spotless.
It could be a Axminster motor right at the beginning when the Ford comes round the corner but you
only catch a glimpse of it,difficult to confirm. Had a look at the Aminster thread and some trailers only have
the writing down the side in a strip like it looks like on that trailer from what you quickly see ■■?

here,s one from the Sweeney.

swe40327dp4[1].jpg

That Bedford did well to say it was loaded :wink:

ye park royal i live in canada now but along with every episode of minder i have full box set of sweeney its been allover usa/canada cant be doing with this n.american rubbish the services in drag act could be the first one as u start up m1 think it was called scratchwood :smiley:

My old man was in the Sweeney, the real Sweeney, at the same time as this was on TV which was mid to late 70`s. The programme creator was a chap called Ian Kennedy Martin and apparently he based his characters on real life members of the Sweeney at the time. Well, Jack Regan WAS my old man…to a tee. Everything about him, his attitude, the scotch, the ■■■■, was the same as Regans. Everyone was a “villain” or a “slag”, the latter being a term aimed at a dodgy male and not the loose drawered females referred to nowadays! :smiley: The wide lapel suits, kipper ties, coming home p(zb)ssed after a night in “The Tank”. Joints were “cased” before getting “blagged” and not smoked as they are today! :laughing: , “drums” were banged!! :laughing: :laughing:

John Thaw`s portrayal of the character of Regan was brilliant. I watched an episode a few months ago. Yes it looked well dated but it was still great entertainment and brought back fond memories of my dad (RiP) At least back then the cops and the robbers knew where each other stood and what the rules were. If you got caught then you got a slap, If you got in the way then you also got a slap! So what? :smiley: I would rather have the Police Force from back then. At least they some gumption and backbone as opposed to the Politically Correct, Diversity trained, Inclusive, racially sensitive lot we have today.

Anyway…back to the trucks! :wink:

ParkRoyal2100:
I recently rediscovered The Sweeney, Even now, 40+ years later, it’s razor sharp - tight plots, cracking scripts, John Thaw’s creation of Jack Regan, and a thousand and one stunts that OH&S would never allow these days. It makes moder cop shows look like the plastic dross they really are.

Some say that it was eventually stopped by the establishment because it got too near to realism and the truth.

This was another brilliant,but short,series which no surprise the establishment seems to have stamped on.But,unlike the Sweeney,unfortunately seems to be less re broadcast or available,probably because it got even closer to reality.

youtube.com/watch?v=H8PmfCTa6FU

If you put ‘The Sweeney’ in the ‘search this forum’ box at the top of this page, there is already a thread with a lot of pics of trucks that appear in the series. I’m a big Sweeney fan/anorak :blush: btw, and have the full box set and the pilot show called ‘Regan’
Would post a link to the thread , but do not know how.

Carryfast:

ParkRoyal2100:
I recently rediscovered The Sweeney, Even now, 40+ years later, it’s razor sharp - tight plots, cracking scripts, John Thaw’s creation of Jack Regan, and a thousand and one stunts that OH&S would never allow these days. It makes moder cop shows look like the plastic dross they really are.

Some say that it was eventually stopped by the establishment because it got too near to realism and the truth.

This was another brilliant,but short,series which no surprise the establishment seems to have stamped on.But,unlike the Sweeney,unfortunately seems to be less re broadcast or available,probably because it got even closer to reality.

It says in the blurb that it’s available on DVD. The "establishment " must be gnashing their teeth.

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:

ParkRoyal2100:

It says in the blurb that it’s available on DVD. The "establishment " must be gnashing their teeth.

Meanwhile in the real world.I was referring more to the limited re broadcasting/repeats and I player availability while even video availability was stopped for a considerable time and possibly again now to date.

independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 52514.html

If you go on IMDB you can usually find the filming locations.
Here’s the Page for The Sweeney Drag Act

imdb.com/title/tt0714430/loc … tt_ql_dt_6

bullitt:
My old man was in the Sweeney, the real Sweeney, at the same time as this was on TV which was mid to late 70`s. The programme creator was a chap called Ian Kennedy Martin and apparently he based his characters on real life members of the Sweeney at the time. Well, Jack Regan WAS my old man…to a tee. Everything about him, his attitude, the scotch, the ■■■■, was the same as Regans. Everyone was a “villain” or a “slag”, the latter being a term aimed at a dodgy male and not the loose drawered females referred to nowadays! :smiley: The wide lapel suits, kipper ties, coming home p(zb)ssed after a night in “The Tank”. Joints were “cased” before getting “blagged” and not smoked as they are today! :laughing: , “drums” were banged!! :laughing: :laughing:

John Thaw`s portrayal of the character of Regan was brilliant. I watched an episode a few months ago. Yes it looked well dated but it was still great entertainment and brought back fond memories of my dad (RiP) At least back then the cops and the robbers knew where each other stood and what the rules were. If you got caught then you got a slap, If you got in the way then you also got a slap! So what? :smiley: I would rather have the Police Force from back then. At least they some gumption and backbone as opposed to the Politically Correct, Diversity trained, Inclusive, racially sensitive lot we have today.

Funny that - my old man (been gone 4 years now) was a copper at the time too (not the Sweeney - uniform). He loved the show, never missed an episode, though he’d often grumble about how unrealistic some things were (minor things though). Dad was old school: he’d give people a bit of rope but if they ignored the warnings he’d make sure they were nabbed good and proper. His team always preferred working with him - if there was a big punch-up going on he’d tell everyone on his team to give it 10 minutes, then go in and have a word with those still standing up. He never got past the rank of sergeant, because he refused to sit the board - he passed the written stuff easily and his seniors regularly encouraged him to get promotion, but he didn’t want a desk job.

Many years after he left the force, my brother introduced him to his new fiancee’s family. As it happens, that family was from the East End and had a long history there, much of it the wrong side of the law. And yet Dad and the old-timers in the family got on like a house on fire, swapping stories and anecdotes for hours.

robroy:
If you put ‘The Sweeney’ in the ‘search this forum’ box at the top of this page, there is already a thread with a lot of pics of trucks that appear in the series. I’m a big Sweeney fan/anorak :blush: btw, and have the full box set and the pilot show called ‘Regan’
Would post a link to the thread , but do not know how.

I did do a search but either I’m crap at it or the search thingy is rubbish. Actually both are true, but why such a busy site as this has such a crap search engine baffles me.

Carryfast:

Law and Order, I can remember my old man watching it quite intently.

Stupot:
If you go on IMDB you can usually find the filming locations.
Here’s the Page for The Sweeney Drag Act

imdb.com/title/tt0714430/loc … tt_ql_dt_6

Thanks stupot, useful link - Heston it is, not Toddington.

ParkRoyal2100:
did do a search but either I’m crap at it or the search thingy is rubbish. Actually both are true, but why such a busy site as this has such a crap search engine baffles me.

Turns out I’m just crap at searching.

Here’s the earlier thread:

If the moderators want to merge the threads, go right ahead.

Totally one of the main reasons why I watch the old professionals episodes too ?
In one episode whilst sat at lights, one of cadwalladers Dafs 2800s goes by with a flat on ?

gunnerheskey:
Totally one of the main reasons why I watch the old professionals episodes too ?
In one episode whilst sat at lights, one of cadwalladers Dafs 2800s goes by with a flat on ?

Good call. Any idea which series (and episode if you can ) it is?

ParkRoyal2100:
I recently rediscovered The Sweeney, a series I used to love when I was a youngster in the 70s. Even now, 40+ years later, it’s razor sharp - tight plots, cracking scripts, John Thaw’s creation of Jack Regan, and a thousand and one stunts that OH&S would never allow these days. It makes moder cop shows look like the plastic dross they really are.

What’s this got to do with wagons? Try this episode (“Drag Act” from series 4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQdp700pU4

Transcons, various daggy old Leylands, TKs, and umpteen others, as well as bumpy pot-holed “lorry parks”. At about 32m20s in is a scene in a truck stop (I’m racking my brains where it might have been filmed - Toddington??) and I’m sure that’s an Axminster Transport F88 in the background.

It could almost have been a health and safety video in how to swop trailers.
Proper villans who put the ratchet handbrake on before uncoupling.

Always thought in those days it was dangerous to drive a Transcon as they were always getting robbed on The Sweeney and The Proffesionals.

The episode ‘Drag act’ with the Transcon is on at 6, on ITV4 :wink: