The state of the roadsides

Morning all, anybody else disgusted with the litter and crap on Britain’s roadsides? Lay-bys filled with bottles of trucker tizer and bags of dung?
I started clearing roadsides local to me a couple of years ago with the support of my local council and putting a few posts on Facebook about it. We’ve now got a group in our town who go out litterpicking on dogs walks etc and the area looks 100% better for it. There are 100’s of groups nationwide doing the same including Truckers Cleaning Up Britain on FB who do great work in their down time trying to improve our image.
We all complain about more and more of our favourite parking spots getting closed down and littering is always mentioned as one of the reasons so if we all try and do a little it can’t hurt.
Anyway, enough of the preaching, anyone else as annoyed about littering as me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep… absolutely detest littering.
It’s lazy and thoughtless.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Noticed in the first lockdown when they shut all the takeaways that the problem was better. far less Mcburgerking bags lobbed out of windows.

It’s pretty bad down here in the south west particularly during the tourist seasons when all the visitors leave a trail of destruction in every verge and lay-by

I live in a town in South Wales and it is that bad it makes landfill sites look cleaner.

I stopped at…

A local petrol station this morning, fast food rubbish everywhere and a large portion of Lincolnshire’s crow population gorging themselves on it. All the bins are full therefore the rubbish gets piled up around them. Gust of wind and it’s blown all over the place. If they put larger bins out, people start fly tipping in them. Perhaps legislation is required forcing McChickenSubway to clean up to a much higher standard. Exactly how that would work is anyone’s guess.

I’m not on Fakebook but if it’s got people to go out and clean up the roadsides then that’s a good thing.

Re fast food wrappers; I’ve heard it here and other places that the problem would be simply solved by printing the collecting vehicles registration number on the wrapping. It probably wouldn’t change the habits of the scumbags who purchase food inside and take it away, but I’m sure it’d make a massive difference to the drive through crowd.

I’m going to sound like an old ■■■■ here :blush: …, but it’s a breakdown of standards in modern society.
It starts with crap parenting and upbringing, very few people have any basic manners any more.
You see groups of lads in cars just hoying stuff out of car windows instead of in a nearby bin, you open doors for people without acknowledgement, if you sarcastically say ‘‘You’re welcone’’ they just look at you totally oblivious to the fact that there should have been a ‘Thank you’ down the line somewhere.
Stuff like this annoys the ■■■■ out of me…and I usually display that fact to them.

I aint good at a lot of things, but I (and of course my Mrs) have been proved good at parenting,.all my 4 grown up kids have impeccable manners and respect, they were’t angels by any means, but they knew and know right from wrong.

As for mess in lay bys and the country side…a Transit van full of lazy ■■■■■ just content to draw the dole long term, dressed in hi viz with a litter picker and a black bag …supervised by a big burly bloke in a Stetson and shades carrying a rifle. :smiley:

We have to litter pick the roads and its a nightmare, the lay-bys are bad enough due to the many bags of crap and bottles of ■■■■ we find, the annoying thing is every lay-bye has a litter bin and the lazy ■■■■■ still throw their rubbish out of the window.
To pick the roads where the verge is not wide enough to keep workers a safe distance from traffic we have to close one lane this causes huge disruption and frustration so the message is use a bin or take your crap home you lazy ■■■■■.

robroy:
I’m going to sound like an old ■■■■ here :blush: …, but it’s a breakdown of standards in modern society.
It starts with crap parenting and upbringing, very few people have any basic manners any more.
You see groups of lads in cars just hoying stuff out of car windows instead of in a nearby bin, you open doors for people without acknowledgement, if you sarcastically say ‘‘You’re welcone’’ they just look at you totally oblivious to the fact that there should have been a ‘Thank you’ down the line somewhere.
Stuff like this annoys the [zb] out of me…and I usually display that fact to them.

I aint good at a lot of things, but I (and of course my Mrs) have been proved good at parenting,.all my 4 grown up kids have impeccable manners and respect, they were’t angels by any means, but they knew and know right from wrong.

As for mess in lay bys and the country side…a Transit van full of lazy [zb] just content to draw the dole long term, dressed in hi viz with a litter picker and a black bag …supervised by a big burly bloke in a Stetson and shades carrying a rifle. :smiley:

100% agree with all your points (especially the guy in Stetson and rifle, cool hand Luke style). I’ve challenged the young boy racers in our town, pizza boxes and pop tins right beside their cars, you sometimes get a load of cheek but more often than not they’ll grudgingly pick it up.

Bin Man:
We have to litter pick the roads and its a nightmare, the lay-bys are bad enough due to the many bags of crap and bottles of ■■■■ we find but to pick the roads where the verge is not wide enough to keep workers a safe distance from traffic we have to close one lane this causes huge disruption and frustration the annoying thing is every lay-bye has a litter bin and the lazy [zb] still throw their rubbish out of the window.

Well done. I clear some of our back roads and even they can be a bit scary. Car drivers only see to the end of their bonnet as we all know

the maoster:
Re fast food wrappers; I’ve heard it here and other places that the problem would be simply solved by printing the collecting vehicles registration number on the wrapping. It probably wouldn’t change the habits of the scumbags who purchase food inside and take it away, but I’m sure it’d make a massive difference to the drive through crowd.

That idea was suggested by some litterpicking groups but obviously it has to be enforced and we all know it’s hard enough to get a copper to look at serious stuff unfortunately

Seen one of the tipping fraternity hoping stuff out of his window the other day. Obviously not in a position to do anything about it but it made me shake my head.

I put all my rubbish in a bag in the cab and when im finished I then out that bag in the bin. Same when I used to do nights out, I’d keep it until I could find a bin. Its not difficult.

Deleted - duplicate post.

GOG47:

Bin Man:
We have to litter pick the roads and its a nightmare, the lay-bys are bad enough due to the many bags of crap and bottles of ■■■■ we find, the annoying thing is every lay-bye has a litter bin and the lazy [zb] still throw their rubbish out of the window.
To pick the roads where the verge is not wide enough to keep workers a safe distance from traffic we have to close one lane this causes huge disruption and frustration so the message is use a bin or take your crap home you lazy [zb].

Well done.

Car drivers only see to the end of their bonnet as we all know

To be honest its worse when you are doing the bins too many selfish gits in too much of a rush who think that driving on the pavement to get past the wagon/loaders is fine we have close calls all the time.

Some wagon camera footage here -

youtu.be/jlGpSNlRSs4

Ive never left rubbish in a layby, always bag it and either dump in a bin at the depot or take home…

Bin Man:

GOG47:

Bin Man:
We have to litter pick the roads and its a nightmare, the lay-bys are bad enough due to the many bags of crap and bottles of ■■■■ we find, the annoying thing is every lay-bye has a litter bin and the lazy [zb] still throw their rubbish out of the window.
To pick the roads where the verge is not wide enough to keep workers a safe distance from traffic we have to close one lane this causes huge disruption and frustration so the message is use a bin or take your crap home you lazy [zb].

Well done.

To be honest its worse when you are doing the bins too many selfish gits in too much of a rush who think that driving on the pavement to get past the wagon/loaders is fine we have close calls all the time.

youtu.be/jlGpSNlRSs4

Bloody hell! Just watched that vid. Those clowns should have their licences taken off them

GOG47:

Bin Man:

GOG47:

Bin Man:

Well done.

youtu.be/jlGpSNlRSs4

Bloody hell! Just watched that vid. Those clowns should have their licences taken off them

We have signs all over the wagons saying 360 degree CCTV and they still do it.

I detest litter, and those who spread it.

There’s absolutely no excuse for it whatsoever.

Stephenjp:
Ive never left rubbish in a layby, always bag it and either dump in a bin at the depot or take home…

This…

I just don’t understand why it’s so difficult for people not to do this. When I’m fuelling up at the end of the shift, I open the passenger door and any rubbish is on the floor waiting to go in the bin. When I was tramping, I had a rubbish bag.