The slow overtaking thing enlighten me

Driving my truck down the motorway and you get the other trucker coming past you at literally 1-2mph ■■■■■■ me of as sometimes I let them in and slow down .

Then the dancing indicaters thing

Or you get the ee drivers who just undertake you on the hard shoulder are there trucks faster I’m in a ridged there in a artic like the hot nos are they breaking the law I think so.

Then some lorries I overtake they go like 50mph I’m living in a world between 50-56mph lol

Should I slow down let them in or not give two shizz
I want to be the courteous driver to my fellow conpardrais my trainer said never let cars out of slip roads jus maintain your speed but nearly 3 times now the come alongside you expecting you to slow down or move my trainer said in a accident it would be my fault so now I’m just going to go forward as I normally do.fu?!ck em if they go into me it’s my right of way right?

“What would Jesus do?”

:laughing:

F-reds:
“What would Jesus do?”

:laughing:

Tell someone to get a different vocation methinks [emoji4]

“… Or you get the ee drivers who just undertake you…”

That’s because they are on the phone to Kevin Bacon.

That is the elephant race for you.

Drive at a speed your comfortable at. If matey takes all night to pass you well that shows his own contempt. Do you pull in every layby to let the I’ve got to get there before you crew pass no.

Sorry but even with the impending speed.limit raising your still going to get the I want to go faster knows as shown on the threads on here. It’s not you putting others into danger it’s them that as I say
… Gotta be half a click faster crew…

Personally I like the ‘dancing indicators’ thing. It is a mark of courtesy, an acknowledgement from another trucker for something you may have done to help them out - slow down and let them in, flash your lights to tell them it’s safe to pull in etc. I try to use it whenever appropriate.

In a world of selfish drivers without indicators at all, let’s not start being rude about the truckers’ thank you signal…

On a dual carriageway or motorway it is courteous and sensible to slow a fraction if the lorry overtaking you is passing slowly.

If you slow by 1mph and he gets passed you in 30 secs, how much distance have you lost? 200 yds? 300 maybe? what difference does that make when your driving 400 miles a day?

As far as indicators. They are an acknowledgement of something you have done ie flashed your lights to say it is safe to pull in, and to say thank you.

bobdebouwer:
On a dual carriageway or motorway it is courteous and sensible to slow a fraction if the lorry overtaking you is passing slowly.

If you slow by 1mph and he gets passed you in 30 secs, how much distance have you lost? 200 yds? 300 maybe? what difference does that make when your driving 400 miles a day?

As far as indicators. They are an acknowledgement of something you have done ie flashed your lights to say it is safe to pull in, and to say thank you.

Your right and I do do that. But you can be sure that if the shoe was on the other foot as is becoming more often even when you slip out to lane 2 to allow them to join the road they tend to floor it and keep you sitting in lane 2 looking a right plank…

nick2008:

bobdebouwer:

Your right and I do do that. But you can be sure that if the shoe was on the other foot as is becoming more often even when you slip out to lane 2 to allow them to join the road they tend to floor it and keep you sitting in lane 2 looking a right plank…

And the waves of thanks off the drivers you’ve just let out are getting few and far between these day, total ignorance has taken over in this industry, and has spilled over into the truckstops, garages and even this site…

weeto:

nick2008:

bobdebouwer:

And the waves of thanks off the drivers you’ve just let out are getting few and far between these day, total ignorance has taken over in this industry, and has spilled over into the truckstops, garages and even this site…

yep a bit like them that shout because you don’t want to drive on the limit but as sure as mud if you did, when you get to a D/C and floor it they will be crying because you’ve ■■■■■■ all over them ad their no further forward :wink:

F-reds:
“What would Jesus do?”

spin this man !

bobdebouwer:

Exactly this.
If someone is struggling beside me I ease off count to 3 and he’s gone.
Prefer him in front than possibly blocking me in.
Like the chap says, how much time and distance have you lost?

bobdebouwer:

Good call,I always do this on a slow overtake especially on a dual carriageway. Sometimes the driver hasn’t noticed what you have done and it takes a couple of flashes before they move back in but that’s no problem. I appreciate it when others do it for me and not only that consider the emergency services that want to get past too

Steve66:

bobdebouwer:

Exactly this.
If someone is struggling beside me I ease off count to 3 and he’s gone.
Prefer him in front than possibly blocking me in.
Like the chap says, how much time and distance have you lost?

:smiley: never had a problem overtakeing wot with me generus limiter :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If a car is merging from a slip road and they come up along side I’ll usually move out if theres a suitable gap but don’t panic and don’t move out if you’re going to cause a car in lane 2 to have to jump on the brakes

Its down to the individual really with the whole driving lark, elephant racing for example will see some just crack on and watch as the overtaking vehicle inches passed, then theres an arguement for why is the overtaking vehicle even bothering and I dare say this goes through the mind of the overtaking driver at some point.

Some will believe that they have to be on the limiter at top speed no matter what, which is up to them.

For me its just my old age that makes me want to glide along at a relaxed pace with a bit in hand if needed, as far as elephant racing goes I ease of a bit, even hit the exhaust brake a little depending on gradient, weight etc, just depends whats around me and especially whats behind.

As far as slip roads go I will either stay put causing cars to either join in front or behind (surprising how many want to drive into the side of me), or lift off and flash a much faster vehicle in knowing they will be off into the distance in seconds, or even if the outer lane is totally clear pull over and then pull back once everyones buggered off. In the end its all about giving yourself options, highway code aside whatever causes the least inconvenience to me and other motorists is usually my best option.

Bit different when its another sister trucker (especially foreign ones) who may need a bit more assistance to merge but if all goes ■■■■ up (which it has) hold station and let the merging traffic sort themselves out.

This driving lark is all about giving yourself options and even creating them when those around you are up each others chuff, forward planning and simple things like leaving a safe gap to the vehicle in front allowing another motorist in can turn a tea spillage moment into a total non event.

The dancing indicator thing is a common sign of good manners i think&long may it reign just the same as flashing a driver in when he has overtaken you. Regarding cars entering from the slip road i was taught to get up to a speed that will take me into the motorway without making the Hgv slow down as the car has a far better acceleration to be able to do this although i do wonder about the ability of some car drivers when they start to slow down at the end of the slip road in a blind panic.

The dancing indicator thing is a common sign of good manners i think&long may it reign just the same as flashing a driver in when he has overtaken you. Regarding cars entering from the slip road i was taught to get up to a speed that will take me into the motorway without making the Hgv slow down as the car has a far better acceleration to be able to do this although i do wonder about the ability of some car drivers when they start to slow down at the end of the slip road in a blind panic.

If you do anything that forces or pushes another driver into “slowing down” - then I was always taught that this is a “test failure”.

If someone is about to elephant-overtake me, I’ll knock back a couple of clicks, and let 'em get on with it. I’m not in as much as a hurry as the average job & knocker or auto-pilot kelmet.

Winsinisaurus: Kelmet (n) - An indivudual resembling a green sock who’s currently in the act of driving like a bell-end.