The slow overtaking thing enlighten me

Dipper_Dave:
Its down to the individual really with the whole driving lark, elephant racing for example will see some just crack on and watch as the overtaking vehicle inches passed, then theres an arguement for why is the overtaking vehicle even bothering and I dare say this goes through the mind of the overtaking driver at some point.

Some will believe that they have to be on the limiter at top speed no matter what, which is up to them.

For me its just my old age that makes me want to glide along at a relaxed pace with a bit in hand if needed, as far as elephant racing goes I ease of a bit, even hit the exhaust brake a little depending on gradient, weight etc, just depends whats around me and especially whats behind.

As far as slip roads go I will either stay put causing cars to either join in front or behind (surprising how many want to drive into the side of me), or lift off and flash a much faster vehicle in knowing they will be off into the distance in seconds, or even if the outer lane is totally clear pull over and then pull back once everyones buggered off. In the end its all about giving yourself options, highway code aside whatever causes the least inconvenience to me and other motorists is usually my best option.

Bit different when its another sister trucker (especially foreign ones) who may need a bit more assistance to merge but if all goes ■■■■ up (which it has) hold station and let the merging traffic sort themselves out.

This driving lark is all about giving yourself options and even creating them when those around you are up each others chuff, forward planning and simple things like leaving a safe gap to the vehicle in front allowing another motorist in can turn a tea spillage moment into a total non event.

Well said that Man, I have only one comment to add, like you I would normally be a couple off klicks under the limiter, (D/C/ Motorway) , gives you and overtaking envelope on anything you catch up to, so why do these trucks(not on the limiter or I wouldn’t of caught them up) go flat stick the moment I pull out pass, with I just cant fathom it :confused:

Good manners on the road are becoming a thing of the past , dancing indicators is a long recognised signal to acknowledge the courtesy of someone flashing you in , but these days more often than not the driver doing the overtaking seems to be oblivious to the fact that his vehicle is actually a little bit longer than a smart car & because he / she can’t see you through the side window it’s ok to pull in , cue heavy braking & lots of expletives being thrown about as you try to avoid the rear of their vehicle taking your mirrors off . Tossers !!

Well I see many different responce I will move over if I can and instead of the dancing indercater I might just do a a one blast of the hazards

But really the slip road on to the motorway that line is a give way line which means that you have rift of way so you carry on at your own speed and when I get the 1-2mph driver coming past I will look it down a few clicks and let him in

Thanks for your advice

Digit369:
Driving my truck down the motorway and you get the other trucker coming past you at literally 1-2mph ■■■■■■ me of as sometimes I let them in and slow down .

Then the dancing indicaters thing

Or you get the ee drivers who just undertake you on the hard shoulder are there trucks faster I’m in a ridged there in a artic like the hot nos are they breaking the law I think so.

Then some lorries I overtake they go like 50mph I’m living in a world between 50-56mph lol

Should I slow down let them in or not give two shizz
I want to be the courteous driver to my fellow conpardrais my trainer said never let cars out of slip roads jus maintain your speed but nearly 3 times now the come alongside you expecting you to slow down or move my trainer said in a accident it would be my fault so now I’m just going to go forward as I normally do.fu?!ck em if they go into me it’s my right of way right?

the right of way thing is correct,if you cannot pull into the middle lane out of courtesy,then run them down the hard shoulder you do not have to give way ,if they hit you they are in the wrong[rule 259 highway code,joining the motorway,page 86]

2 weeks in the job and you’re already moaning like a bloody wummin!

Yes the decent thing to do whilst being overtaken by another lorry that is close to your speed is to lower cruise for 10 seconds but if that ■■■■■■ you off and its only been 2 weeks then i fear for you.

Don’t use your hazards, hazards on a motorway have an important meaning. I wouldn’t dance on the indicators either as it breaks the bloody stalks! Just a double tap of the indicator to the left. I’m not a fan of it but I’m also not ignorant, so i always thank someone if they have flashed me in by a little double tap left.

truckman020:

Digit369:
Driving my truck down the motorway and you get the other trucker coming past you at literally 1-2mph ■■■■■■ me of as sometimes I let them in and slow down .

Then the dancing indicaters thing

Or you get the ee drivers who just undertake you on the hard shoulder are there trucks faster I’m in a ridged there in a artic like the hot nos are they breaking the law I think so.

Then some lorries I overtake they go like 50mph I’m living in a world between 50-56mph lol

Should I slow down let them in or not give two shizz
I want to be the courteous driver to my fellow conpardrais my trainer said never let cars out of slip roads jus maintain your speed but nearly 3 times now the come alongside you expecting you to slow down or move my trainer said in a accident it would be my fault so now I’m just going to go forward as I normally do.fu?!ck em if they go into me it’s my right of way right?

the right of way thing is correct,if you cannot pull into the middle lane out of courtesy,then run them down the hard shoulder you do not have to give way ,if they hit you they are in the wrong[rule 259 highway code,joining the motorway,page 86]

There’s always Forward Planning, you know that you are coming up to a junction, look for the clues, look up at the roundabout & over to the entry slip road, check o/side mirror & be ready to move out, there’s a 50/50 chance that someone will be coming onto the motorway/Duel Carriageway.
I’d rather be out of the way than spend 4 hours waiting for a wrecker & trying to decide who was to blame for the coming together at the end of the slip road.
Just because it’s your right of way doesn’t mean that it won’t hurt !

I’ve seen 4 lightning quick flashes back and forth with a flourishing double tap left and orange flashing beacons going at the same time. Disappointed a platform didn’t rise out of the bed to reveal a quartet of dwarf dancing clowns

Freight Dog:
a quartet of dwarf dancing clowns

You do realise that I won’t bloody sleep tonight now don’t you!

its the drivers that over take at 0.00000000002mph faster then the other thats the problem :imp: :imp: :imp:

burnley-si:
its the drivers that over take at 0.00000000002mph faster then the other thats the problem :imp: :imp: :imp:

Guilty of that. Being limited to 53 ■■■■■ big time.

burnley-si:

Only if you make it a problem. Knock your CC back a couple of clicks for half a minute, or ease your right foot off if you’re one of those who thinks that your rig goes faster if you push harder on the accelerator.

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

Only if you make it a problem. Knock your CC back a couple of clicks for half a minute, or ease your right foot off if you’re one of those who thinks that your rig goes faster if you push harder on the accelerator.

Bring back the days when you could whip the fuse out ,there would be none of this cack :wink:

seth 70:

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

Bring back the days when you could whip the fuse out ,there would be none of this cack :wink:

Or pick your nose and flick it OUT window saves weight :stuck_out_tongue:

Radar19:

burnley-si:

Guilty of that. Being limited to 53 ■■■■■ big time.

Still, you can get past Waitrose as well as the regular supermarket wagons! :smiley:

No hope with the dutch wagons with bulging curtains banging along well past our paltry 56 limiter speeds though…

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

Only if you make it a problem.

They’ve already made the problem by pulling out to overtake something going a fraction of a kmph slower and having nothing in reserve to get past with.

If they were to run with a few kmph to spare instead of on the limiter, when they come up against something going slightly slower, they’d be able to floor it and get past without any drama.

I don’t subscribe to this whole “the person being overtaken should slow down” ■■■■■■■■. I don’t run on my limiter so why should I slow down even further to compensate for the inadequacies of someone who does?

The problem lies with those that only have two speeds; stop and flat out. :unamused:

Contraflow:

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

Only if you make it a problem.

They’ve already made the problem by pulling out to overtake something going a fraction of a kmph slower and having nothing in reserve to get past with.

If they were to run with a few kmph to spare instead of on the limiter, when they come up against something going slightly slower, they’d be able to floor it and get past without any drama.

I don’t subscribe to this whole “the person being overtaken should slow down” ■■■■■■■■. I don’t run on my limiter so why should I slow down even further to compensate for the inadequacies of someone who does?

The problem lies with those that only have two speeds; stop and flat out. :unamused:

I agree ^^^^. I don’t run on the limiter for the very reason that having a little in reserve transforms the whole driving experience, making it very stress free. I’m getting a little ■■■■■■ off with trucks taking half an hour to catch me, then sitting out on the white line a foot off my rear bumper and then pulling out and relying on MY goodwill to back off a little. I invariably do, but if it were the other way around I’d back off a tad rather than inconvenience countless vehicles with a six mile overtake. It’s Britain ffs, there’ll be a hill or traffic jam along soon to seperate the two of you one way or another.

seth 70:

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

proper days :grimacing: and gone have the days dipping the clutch down hill to gain a little bit more to pass someone without sitting in the middle lane for 30 minutes :laughing:

Sidevalve:

burnley-si:

i dont have this problem :wink: its trucks in front of me sat in the middle lane mile after mile, if you cant make it within a mile dont pull out to do it :imp: :imp:

what ever happened to camaraderie?

all I see is people who think saying thanks is wrong, people who wont slow for a quicker vehicle to pass.

no wonder we don’t speak to each other in truck stops/rdc’s

war1974:
what ever happened to camaraderie?

all I see is people who think saying thanks is wrong, people who wont slow for a quicker vehicle to pass.

no wonder we don’t speak to each other in truck stops/rdc’s

M11 this morning I see a Scanny ahead picking speed up on the h/s, he wasn’t indicating to come out but I anticipated he shortly would be so I flashed him out and moved into lane two. He entered lane one and as I passed I looked across at him, no wave of thanks, no flashing me in as I passed.

Later on coming up A1 near Sawtry cruise set at 86kph I’m catching a Greene King Volvo, I move out to overtake and accelerate to 90 kph, all of a sudden the berk has let it go downhill and is matching my speed. Two miles later I get passed, again no flash in.

Now I don’t NEED thanks or a flash in but it’s not too much to ask for is it? Incidentally if, further down the road the opportunity to do either one of these a bad turn had arisen I’d have grabbed it with both hands!

That’s where your cameraderie has gone I’m afraid.