The size of lorry cabs

Just been reading CM cab test do people think it’s about time truck cabs where allowed to be a bit longer, not Scaina longline size but at lest long eonught to have a decant sized bed in them.
I like the new Reault T but the bed is very small behind the seats only 26 inches now I’m a big lad 52 inch chest ( and no I’m not fat) so it’s not the best place to have a good restfull sleep on which is a shame.
Was thinking there sould be some sort of min bed size of say 30inchs cabs only need to be 12 inches or so longer to make them so much better places to live would make a huge differance to them.

I think some makes really don’t make enough use of the space available to them as it is,sit in the drivers seat of a Scania and you have a huge distance between you and the windscreen,all that dashboard is wasting space if you ask me as when you climb into bed it is far too narrow and I find impossible to sleep properly in,I know you can move the drivers seat forward but then you have a gap to avoid!
Daf and Man on the other hand have a far smaller distance between you and the windscreen and as a result a much wider bed,wide enough to get a really good nights sleep in,so yes a bit more length added to a cab would be useful but at the end of the day some manufactuers can get it right with what we have so why can’t the rest do the same?

Yes there does seem to be a lot of wasted room in these new cabs
You would think in these times there would be some sort of EEC reg in place for the size of a rest bunk

Transc:
I think some makes really don’t make enough use of the space available to them as it is,sit in the drivers seat of a Scania and you have a huge distance between you and the windscreen,all that dashboard is wasting space if you ask me as when you climb into bed it is far too narrow and I find impossible to sleep properly in,I know you can move the drivers seat forward but then you have a gap to avoid!
Daf and Man on the other hand have a far smaller distance between you and the windscreen and as a result a much wider bed,wide enough to get a really good nights sleep in,so yes a bit more length added to a cab would be useful but at the end of the day some manufactuers can get it right with what we have so why can’t the rest do the same?

I wonder if the tough Swedish cab safety standards have anything to do with the size and distance of the dashboard, I’m thinking leg protection etc in a bad smash, I read somewhere many years ago that super space cabs can’t be bought in Sweden due to the plastic roof not passing the cab crash tests, happy to be corrected on that though.

Hi! You are right about the ssc but only with the 95 model. On 105 you can buy it.

Reg Danne from Sweden

That space in between you & the windscreen in a Scania is to be filled by someone’s trailer in the event of a crash Transc. You’ll be thanking them if that space is ever utilised, believe!

Well I haven’t ran up the back of anyones trailer in 23 years driving Silver _Surfer, maybe that’s because I always got a goodnights sleep in my comfy Daf bed and was never so tired that I ran up the back of something :wink:

I don’t think the cab needs to be any longer it’s a case of better design.

Why not have a top bunk that’s wider and storage behind the seats.

Double manning perhaps that wouldn’t work but for the majority a double (or slightly narrower) bunk above would be better and there’s no reason it’s not achieveable

i agree with Tipper Tom is basically bad design coupled with operators not wanting to pay for better designed trucks

The Actros MP3 has a huge top bunk and tiny bottom bunk. I always used the top as it was very comfy

Depends on you being quite a big fella or not. I’ve never had problems sleeping in Volvos as I’m an average built fella. In all honesty, I’d rather have a smaller bed and have a truck that drives a bit better. I’m all for big cabs like the DAF SSC, but the gearboxes on them aren’t the best making you nod like churcill all day unless you drive like Grandma Mildred.

I’m 6ft 1 and large build. I have no problem sleeping in my FH

Asi said I in the frist postI like the new Reault T but the bed is very small behind the seats only 26 inches now I’m a big lad 52 inch chest ( and no I’m not fat) so it’s not the best place to have a good restfull sleep on which is a shame. Did have a night out in this the other night was very nice but really is a bit narrow behind the seats bed should be a min of 30inchs wide if lorry cabs were 12/18 inches longer designers could do so much more with the space.
You could put the buck down the n/s in place of passenger seat or down from the roof that would free up a huge amount of room just seems to me cab interiors have not moved on much in the last years
The motor home,caravan industry have so meny clever ways of using small spaces.

A big cab is alright but it just gives u more room to carry more stuff that will only be seen once in a blue moon

I liked the bed in the 4 series toplines. Although the ladder was cold on the feet in winter.

I did a night out in an FH the other night. I thought the space inside was disappointing!

Loved my 4 series but it did have the locker pod etc fitted havent found a bed as comfy im a truck yet

The best sleep I have ever had in a vehicle was one fitted with a sleeper pod, it was so cosy and dark up there, it was fantastic, the only problem was in the south of Europe in summer, but any sleeper cab can be just as unbearable.

Daf’s and scanias have good beds in them and a big cab. Volvos have small cabs but you could get as much into one as a scania or daf

bigvern1:
I did a night out in an FH the other night. I thought the space inside was disappointing!

This is what I mean to brand new lorries volvo and Renault that will be around for the next 10/15 years and not got the best beds in them or are disappointing in the use of space