The River Tyne

A few more old ads.
Oily

Tyneside 1961 GG 717px-Im1961New-Angus2...jpg

Fine set of ads again Oily, I along with my older Brothers were born in St Peters a stones throw from British Engines, my Mother was also born there, long gone now but by coincidence there is a street called Dobson Crescent about the same place our old street (Walbrook Tce) was. My Mother also worked at British Engines as a young woman during the war years and I and my Father before me would also load and deliver there when driving, the place had barely changed over many years. In my current job for the Fire Service I work on Godiva Pumps (which I also delivered to) fitted to the appliances, these are built from parts made at British Engines. It certainly has been over many years a great asset to the Northeast. Cheers Franky.

bit of fog on the tyne this morning, also some from about 15 years ago

Nice to see that shot of the Titan Jim, it was a regular sight on the river in the past when a heavy lift was needed.
Am I right in thinking it was jointly owned by all the shipyards on the river?
I think it went to the Far East eventually, when the yards all shut down.
Another lump of our heritage sold off. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Regards Kev.

HMS Ledbury, on the Newcastle Quay, Sunday.

this is not about lorries but thought I would put it on here for all you guys who know the area well being a southerner I dont much about the Tyne , this programme was very interesting and sad as well I did not know all this happened on the Tyne in ww1 , I cant get a link to work but go to BBc Iplayer and type this in “World War I at Home
Despatches from Tyneside” , fredm

ubym344:
this is not about lorries but thought I would put it on here for all you guys who know the area well being a southerner I dont much about the Tyne , this programme was very interesting and sad as well I did not know all this happened on the Tyne in ww1 , I cant get a link to work but go to BBc Iplayer and type this in “World War I at Home

bbc.co.uk/ww1/ww1-at-home/fi … ns/2641673
and bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045gj40
Oily

oiltreader:

ubym344:

Oily

cheers oily could not get the link to work but very interesting programme, fredm

ubym344:

oiltreader:

ubym344:

Oily

cheers oily could not get the link to work but very interesting programme, fredm

Hi Fredm, some more war effort manufacturing, a bit before WW1, nevertheless an indication of the major industrial city, Newcastle and surrounding area was from way back.
Oily

Shipbuilding and armament.
Oily

Ships for faraway(in them days) countries.
Oily

cheers oiltreader very interesting, I have been watching all the programmes on the bbc iplayer called world war 1 the war at home fascinating stuff some tough people then god bless em all, fredm

North Tyneside Council HQ.
Oily

Tyneside North Tyneside Council Offices Cobalt Business Park cr A McCarron cc by sa 2.01224692_41f6af7d...jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

Is this taken at Silver Link ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:
Oily

Cobalt Business Park.
Oily

oiltreader:

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:
Oily

Cobalt Business Park.
Oily

Yes just next door, Thanks Oily, Regards Larry.

Long before I was ever a Lorry Driver I was at Sea. I can remember doing quite a few trips from Montreal to the Tyne, sometimes unloading at both Ranks and over the River to Hovis all in the same trip. Most of all as a young lad at the time was the Pubs :blush: When we were at Ranks there was a really good little Pub just at the top of Pottery Bank, I spent many a happy evening in there. Then when we crossed the River to Hovis, ther were a few good Pubs. There was The Locomotive on Shields Road. Then up Raby St. was my favourite, The Hare and Hounds, I had so many good nights in there, really good nights they were, back to the Ship in time for work in the morning. Then I seem to remember a Pub at the top of Raby Str, then turn right, Inthink it was the Blue Ball. What a mis spent youth Eh ?

This Armstrong gun is on display at Beamish. It’s part of the WW1 commemoration at the museum, although it has been an exibit there for a few years now.

Archie …did you ever frequent the “Oxford Galleries” while you were ■■■■■■■ at the Quay ■■? I did !!!

backsplice:
Archie …did you ever frequent the “Oxford Galleries” while you were ■■■■■■■ at the Quay ■■? I did !!!

I don’t know about old Archie, But I had some great nights in the Oxford, My crack to the ladies was Lets Boogie Baby, & It worked on some of the older ones, But I along with my pals allways had a good night regardless, Of course we didn’t have a lot of dosh to throw around in those good old days when I was as randy as a butchers dog as most of us youngs were, It must have been what our parents fed us on that made us like that, Happy Days Eh, Regards Larry.