The River Tyne

I saw these scarecrows when I was on my Hadrian Cycleway ride, as the weather was so bad at that time I decided to come back another day to take some shots. I have only captured a few of the exhibits as the others had disintegrated or been removed. They cheered me up no end on that day, it’s a pity I did not get them all. For those of you unfamiliar with the area the villages of Newbrough, Fourstones, and the Bridge at Warden are on the banks of the River SouthTyne. Regards Kev.

Royal Quay as its called now , The old Tyne Commisioners Wharf, Regards Larry.

Coming into our North East Famous River Tyne at Northshields to-day, Regards Larry.

And leaving the famous river Tyne loaded with Nissan Motor Cars, Great stuff IMO, Regards Larry.

The Tyne at Wallsend, Regards Larry.

North Shields To-day, Regards Larry.

Gan back a bit.
Oily

Good posters Oily, my oldest Brother worked at Wonderloaf just before he left school, at the weekend they let him bring a bread tray home full of cakes and buns that would have got chucked out, Saturday teatimes were a treat, still can’t resist a Cream Slice today! Franky.

Frankydobo:
Good posters Oily, my oldest Brother worked at Wonderloaf just before he left school, at the weekend they let him bring a bread tray home full of cakes and buns that would have got chucked out, Saturday teatimes were a treat, still can’t resist a Cream Slice today! Franky.

Great stuff Oily, That Skipper Sardines Advert was a blast from the past, They had a warehouse on City Rd & Jakey Adams used to do their haulage work, All handball 15 Ton at a time, The good old days Eh, Keep them rolling, Regards Larry.

And I’m wondering where I can get a chicken house for seven quid! :wink:

Did that Robert Carr not make racing pigeon lofts too ■■? seems to ring a bell from my youth ■■?

Its not quite on the Tyne, :wink: but its a well known landmark, St Mary’s Island Lighthouse, Whitley Bay. It was a bit misty when I rode past today, I’ve had to play around with the shot,sorry its the best I can do. :blush: :blush: Regards Kev.

Great shots of the Tyne Kev, I take my good Lady down to North Shields for fish & chips at Oceans Fish & Chip Resturant quite often, Its a good meal for us old pensioners & not badley priced, I sometimes even by her an Icer when we are parked up watching the shipping movements at the mouth of the river, Keep them rolling Kev, Regards Larry.

Putting to sea at North Shields to-day, Regards Larry.

Coming in at the Tyne to-day, Regards Larry.

Nice old pic here from the Sixties of the working Tyne, an AEC Mercury with single axle flat belonging to Ouseburn Transport or known as R Steenburg and Sons, loading barrels from a ship. Three or Four helping hands can be seen on the back of the trailer and one is the driver Ronnie Hodgen with his hand up to his head and to his right just in centre of the group is my Father looking down towards the boat. Scenes like this were an everyday event back then and when there was any handball unloading from a boat to be done Steenburgs always ensured there were enough hands to see the job done. This pic was passed onto me by my mate Bumper, unfortunately my old man never got to see it and its a rare pic of him doing a job he loved. Interestingly, at the end of the day they would have headed for the Ship Inn and a Pint of much needed refreshment, the bottom pic shows the Pub many years before with the owners name Percival Bagnall on the side wall, he was an ancestor of my Wife, not that I knew that at the time when I’d also stop for a pint after work, while she waited for me to call for her when we were courting! Cheers (hic) Franky.

Great shots Frankydobo, It brings back a lot of mems from those good olds when the Tyne was heaving with work plenty of ships plus the Gateshead side of the river, There were ships on a regular basis all the time, Happy days Eh, Regards Larry.