The quernhow cafe

Hi Chaps.

The Cafe is currently going through new management with great deals such as free parking, free showers & well lit HGV parking areas which is a good way of securing the car park there! New management are on about doing a full refurbishment in the Cafe which would be great…

They also have a new Chef on the go there and I have to say every time I am stopping there nearly everyday because the food is absolutely great, I can deffo recommend the “Quernhow Mixed Grill” Plenty on the plate, good quality meat and all for £6.50 including a drink!!

Also they have a new lounge area there with Sky TV And a bar serving pints of fosters / carling for only £2.00 a pint…

Go and try it out, see what you think?
:slight_smile:
Charles

At least try to be subtle :wink: :wink:
But will let this one obvious advert go

But I have to say Quernhow is going to take some saving and if you have just bought in, with the A1(m) bypass and its current reputation you have a task on your hands

gdog123:
Hi Chaps.

The Cafe is currently going through new management with great deals such as free parking, free showers & well lit HGV parking areas which is a good way of securing the car park there! New management are on about doing a full refurbishment in the Cafe which would be great…

They also have a new Chef on the go there and I have to say every time I am stopping there nearly everyday because the food is absolutely great, I can deffo recommend the “Quernhow Mixed Grill” Plenty on the plate, good quality meat and all for £6.50 including a drink!!

Also they have a new lounge area there with Sky TV And a bar serving pints of fosters / carling for only £2.00 a pint…

Go and try it out, see what you think?
:slight_smile:
Charles

Do you get a free breakfast for writing that? or do you get free breakfasts because you own it? :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope so, the place has potential but the management were total arse holes.

Hopefully a change of management will turn the place around.

cieranc:
I hope so, the place has potential but the management were total arse holes.

Hopefully a change of management will turn the place around.

Agreed it used to be my one of my favourite stops, until they started researching germ warfare.

just to counter the obvious advert,
i stopped there two weeks ago, looked at the specials board and decided on chicken curry, only to be told once it had been dished up that theres been a mistake its actually beef… :confused:

tasted like the muck you get out of a tin so im guessing maybe your labels fell off the tin and confused your young lad who was doubling for a chef that night.

advertise free parking and the night i stopped there i was one of 5 trucks. i think you had best rethink your business plan fella…

Personally I think that now the A1 has moved the Quernhow is almost certainly doomed, there is certainly going to be an uphill struggle to save it IMO.

Paul

repton:
Personally I think that now the A1 has moved the Quernhow is almost certainly doomed, there is certainly going to be an uphill struggle to save it IMO.

Paul

It will a ■■■■ sight more than a lick of paint and new microwave, until a few more have tried il hold back.

Could do with demolishing and rebuilt like the stockyard.

At least Charles is smiling this morning, from one post he has got his new venture on the discussion forum, now lets see if he can put his money where his mouth is, and deliver good food and clean facilities at a reasonable price, no one minds a diversion if the service is top notch :stuck_out_tongue:

toby1234abc:
The French rouitier network,always low prices,very good food,that make a top London restaurant look like MacDonalds compared to what French drivers have on offer,5 to 6 course meals,great service,it is quite common to share a table with the local Police and Town Council officials and families eat with truckers too in France.
I have had rabbit stew,beef tails or Oxtails,snails(With garlic butter inside.),Pigs trotters,and anything that can be hunted down and shot,goes in to the pan.Venison is popular too.

True :smiley:

OTS:

toby1234abc:
The French rouitier network,always low prices,very good food,that make a top London restaurant look like MacDonalds compared to what French drivers have on offer,5 to 6 course meals,great service,it is quite common to share a table with the local Police and Town Council officials and families eat with truckers too in France.
I have had rabbit stew,beef tails or Oxtails,snails(With garlic butter inside.),Pigs trotters,and anything that can be hunted down and shot,goes in to the pan.Venison is popular too.

True :smiley:

Although I’d say Toby obviously hasn’t been to any ‘top London restaurants’

Of course a French truck driver is happy to pay £10 or so for lunch. In this country, even when we earned above-average wages, we were not prepared to pay half that.

For a transport cafè to succede over here, there would have to be a major shift in eating habits - and I can’t see that happening.

Santa:
Of course a French truck driver is happy to pay £10 or so for lunch. In this country, even when we earned above-average wages, we were not prepared to pay half that.

For a transport cafè to succede over here, there would have to be a major shift in eating habits - and I can’t see that happening.

^ This. I know if I stop at one of these places I’m going to be offered ■■■■. So I don’t. Lots of other people though obviously don’t give a monkeys what crap they throw down their neck as long as it’s CHEAP!

There was a fella on here the other day thought a Maccy D bacon roll was good…

Why are the truckstops or whatever so crap?
The quernhow for example,ok the A1 upgrade has made getting here a bit difficult but, I am the only truck on here so far at least.
The food is poor.
I had braised steak chips and green ball bearings.
The toilets/showers are freezing.
Only six pounds to park, but I think these places need to wake up,drivers are not prepared to put up with this dross these days.
I’m quite prepared to pay a BIT extra for quality, and with a bit of effort, surely this place,for example, would be a gold mine with a bit of effort.
What do we think?

ROADRANGER:
The quernhow for example,ok the A1 upgrade has made getting here a bit difficult but, I am the only truck on here so far at least.
The food is poor.
Only six pounds to park, but I think these places need to wake up,drivers are not prepared to put up with this dross these days.
I’m quite prepared to pay a BIT extra for quality, and with a bit of effort, surely this place,for example, would be a gold mine with a bit of effort.
What do we think?

knock it down, the place is a ■■■■ hole :slight_smile:

ROADRANGER:
The food is poor.
What do we think?

Place has been a ■■■■ hole for a long time. Wouldn’t eat there if you paid me after my one and only experience of the food there.

Totally agree mate this place is a right ****hole it needs knocking down new place building and like you say with a bit of effort its a gold mine

I’m sorry to ■■■■ on your parade, but the subject of truckstops has been flogged to death on TN, the Quernhow being no exception.

Ken.

in 20 odd years i’ve only stopped there once, and that was enough, even londonderry is about the same i think, the only decent one in that area was the one on the southbound carriageway and they knocked the bugger down to make way for the new carriageway :slight_smile:

many years ago the quernhow was without doubt one of the best caffs going, always full, used to struggle to get parked both day n night but lets face it, in the old days we all ate at caffs but now the majority of drivers self cater, truckstops due to their size are costly in terms of rent and rates, parking areas are costly to maintain due to the heavy traffic and drivers who think nothing of screwing outfits round when the could easily reverse thereby causing less damage. there are very few caffs left at all now due to the huge overheads and poor returns on investment
the caff in question also used to be a thriving camping and caravan site but there has also been a decrease in these numbers compared to years ago. now it has been bypassed by the new a1m it can only deteriorate further, so that will be one less caff to complain about