The living wage and driving a truck

So do you think this will affect the driver shortage ? My personal opinion is that it will have a massive impact on class 2 drivers as most class 2 Work now pays on average £8 - £9 per hr

For eample The German-owned supermarket chain lidl average pay rise of £1,200 per year for thousands of staff, with all UK employees receiving at least £8.20 an hour in England, Scotland and Wales and at least £9.35 in London.

Why would you pay to do your class 2 and cpc per year etc etc when above jobs are avaliable

because i have what i consider to be a really easy job
i sit on my arse all day just cruising the country,going to interesting places with zero hassle from any managers jumped up “team leaders” etc etc
im not brilliantly paid yet can easily make 34k a year if i really felt the need

why would i want to stack shelves for 20 hours a week?

Nowt easier than driving from A to B…

F-reds:
Nowt easier than driving from A to B…

It’s just spoilt by having to keep stopping to deliver some more crap nobody really wants. :laughing:

In theory it should bump the wages up quite a bit, but if you work nights for example in Tesco you can earn over £10 / hour already in some jobs and people are still driving trucks for less. One of the reasons might be that although the hourly rate is better, the number of hours is usually a lot less or less reliable so for example you might do 30 hours one week and 42 hours the next.

Until employers feel they have a major crisis in numbers, they’ll keep paying what they think they can get away with. It’s similar in many skilled and semi-skilled jobs unfortunately. That’s probably the point when a lot more will start paying for the training to get more people.

Well! From what I have read on here and heard in person there are that many drivers who have jumped ship or been sacked and EVERY TIME they end up getting more money for less hours!! By my reckoning there are a lot of lorry drivers out there earning in excess of £25ph for 20 hours pw :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s less than 100 weeks now (97 weeks 5 days , new digi card and a stupid dcpc course also)
And I can rejoin the ranks of being a working driver again and fill one of the well paid jobs that by then will exist …or perhaps I won’t bother as 50,000 migrants will have a c+e licence by then and it will be worse than it is now , if that is possible. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

thetastytrucker:
So do you think this will affect the driver shortage ? My personal opinion is that it will have a massive impact on class 2 drivers as most class 2 Work now pays on average £8 - £9 per hr

For eample The German-owned supermarket chain lidl average pay rise of £1,200 per year for thousands of staff, with all UK employees receiving at least £8.20 an hour in England, Scotland and Wales and at least £9.35 in London.

Why would you pay to do your class 2 and cpc per year etc etc when above jobs are avaliable

because some class 2 jobs pay more than £9.35 per hr?

Most supermarket jobs will only be contracted for about 16 hours though you may get overtime but you couldn’t live life on 16 hours gaurented

andrew.s:

thetastytrucker:

because some class 2 jobs pay more than £9.35 per hr?

Yes im on one that pays £10.50 ph but as other wages increase will mine is what i was pointing out

kr79:
Most supermarket jobs will only be contracted for about 16 hours though you may get overtime but you couldn’t live life on 16 hours gaurented

guaranteed

trevHCS:
One of the reasons might be that although the hourly rate is better, the number of hours is usually a lot less or less reliable so for example you might do 30 hours one week and 42 hours the next.

That’s exactly it.

Fact is, a supermarket shelf stacker will never take home as much per week as a truck driver putting the hours in. Ultimately, it’s the amount in the bottom right of your payslip that usually matters most to a people trying to support families. Drivers aren’t going to jack a job where they get £8ph for 60 hours, for £8.20 for 40 hours in Lidl as it amounts to a major paycut.

I read that there was legislation passed this (last week cos its now Sunday) cutting the family credit benefit or whatever its called.
It’s surprising what can slip through unnoticed when the state broadcaster is in full ‘‘refugee’’ (which arn’t) mode.

I haven’t a clue how FC really works cos when i had young children such things didn’t exist, but i suspect any cutting of that benefit is the first salvo in the present government’s (who many of you voted for) election pledges of ‘making work pay’…i have no axe to grind either way on this but suspect things are going to change for many of us, especially those working short weeks or on lower pay which presumably triggers said benefit.

All our lives are going to change whatever happens when the national debt, still rising despite the apparently fixed economy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , can’t be serviced when interest rates rise.

We’re all in this together, even MP’s and the honourable Lords and Ladies of the upper house will be fiddling POA (they’ll show you how to fiddle it proper like) to max their hours out soon to qualify for their raises… :smiling_imp:

Could always get a job as a security guard at harrods for £928 a week :open_mouth:

The constantly moving tumbleweed, that we call ’ wage discussions ', sweeps into Dodge yet again!

eagerbeaver:
The constantly moving tumbleweed, that we call ’ wage discussions ', sweeps into Dodge yet again!

+1

I know two companies where the HGV drivers earn less than £7.50 hour. These are permanent wages - not agency. They obviously have their own reasons for not moving onto better paid work, but their life and their choice. :confused:

thetastytrucker:
So do you think this will affect the driver shortage ?

Theres no shortage so it’s not a problem…!!!

Where we are can earn same money what get truck drivers?Where you can work and have plenty of waiting time ■■?Where can sleep at work 2-4 hours.Shelves stacking must do just with one 30 minute break.But if to somebody like do another job somewhere or can get money more than truck drivers-GOOD LUKE.Must try ,not miss oportunity.

If you “could get by without the work” then your wages will end up rising.

If you’re always dead keen to do the far-away job for as little as possible - you’ll be strung out every damned day.
Who’s fault?

Look in the mirror…

It’s all about cashflow and being able to afford to sit out the days when no “premium” work is available.