The legend of Continental fleet haulage Eric Vick

The very sad news that one of the Pioneers of North African & Middle East transport Eric Vick of Hardwicke Gloucester passed away very recently aged 85. A legend and well respected personality of the industry, the likes of which will not be seen again…

A legend indeed. I had the privilege of interviewing him very briefly for my book. With the passing of both Eric Vick and Richard Read snr, a whole era goes. RIP Eric, and may our thoughts remain with the family this week. Robert

So sad- at least he’s probably swapping yarns with Richard in that big truckstop in the sky.
I first came across Eric in Gloucester livestock market when I was in my very early teens and Eric had a 4-wheeler Seddon cattle lorry. Our paths crossed over the years and I remember him as a very friendly and “straight” gentleman. Yet another stalwart of the British road haulage industry. R.I.P.

Eric Vick’s funeral service details.
St Nicholas Church
Hardwicke
Tuesday 12th May 1PM
Followed by private cremation
Flowers or donations to Cancer Research UK may be sent care of John Hall Funeral Directors, Churcham Gloucester

A lot of the well known hauliers have sadly passed away in the last couple of years. I suppose they were all of a pre war generation who are now getting on in years. R.I.P. Eric Vick.
Dave.

sad news another pioneer of haulage gone,took this photo last week one of Eric’s heading south A1,

Retired Old ■■■■:
So sad- at least he’s probably swapping yarns with Richard in that big truckstop in the sky.
I first came across Eric in Gloucester livestock market when I was in my very early teens and Eric had a 4-wheeler Seddon cattle lorry. Our paths crossed over the years and I remember him as a very friendly and “straight” gentleman. Yet another stalwart of the British road haulage industry. R.I.P.

Do you mean this one ROF

Eric was the man who had faith in me and gave me a start in lorry driving when many others may not have done so. I was one of half a dozen or so 21 year olds he put through their HGV tests in the early 70’s when no other company was training up drivers. A few left but most stayed and gave him a good service. OK we may have been, sorry we were, young and foolish and didn’t know any better but we worked hard and played hard whilst Eric made sure we stayed on the straight and narrow. No running bent, no running overweight and the lorry is always roadworthy was his mantra and it was an uncomfortable five minutes in the yard, or worse the cowshed, if he thought someone had stepped out of line.
There are many stories which could be written about him, most of them true, but suffice to say; “They don’t make em like that any more.”

I think that’s the one, Ted. It must have been just about brand new when I first saw it. Eric was in a queue to unload and was leaning out of the window chatting to my old chap. Funny how you remember details from years ago when you can’t remember what you had for dinner yesterday.
As we get older ourselves we naturally lose more & more folks we knew years ago. Inevitable, I suppose, but I must admit it brings a tear to the eye, sometimes.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I think that’s the one, Ted. It must have been just about brand new when I first saw it. Eric was in a queue to unload and was leaning out of the window chatting to my old chap. Funny how you remember details from years ago when you can’t remember what you had for dinner yesterday.
As we get older ourselves we naturally lose more & more folks we knew years ago. Inevitable, I suppose, but I must admit it brings a tear to the eye, sometimes.

Eric’s word was his bond, if he said he’d do something it got done, he rarely worked to a contract just a shake of the hand.

There’s an old saying that if you want a lot of people at you funeral you’d best die young. I think Tuesday may be an exception to that rule. The lane is going to be awful busy.

When i talked to someone yesterday about the church, i was told take a coat you are likely to be stood outside.

zzarbean:
Eric was the man who had faith in me and gave me a start in lorry driving when many others may not have done so. I was one of half a dozen or so 21 year olds he put through their HGV tests in the early 70’s when no other company was training up drivers. A few left but most stayed and gave him a good service. OK we may have been, sorry we were, young and foolish and didn’t know any better but we worked hard and played hard whilst Eric made sure we stayed on the straight and narrow. No running bent, no running overweight and the lorry is always roadworthy was his mantra and it was an uncomfortable five minutes in the yard, or worse the cowshed, if he thought someone had stepped out of line.
There are many stories which could be written about him, most of them true, but suffice to say; “They don’t make em like that any more.”

That’s a description that could have been applied to Fred Chappell in the early 60’s, Fred was a good man who gave young fellas like me a start, he ran “straight” he treated his men well and it was a pleasure to work for him.
But as you say…“They don’t make em like that any more”

H143500:
When i talked to someone yesterday about the church, i was told take a coat you are likely to be stood outside.

Whenever there was a funeral or wedding we were not allowed to drive down the lane but had to wait at the top garage, also there was no departures between 10:00 and 12:00 on a Sunday. The church is right on the corner were we turned up the (narrower) lane to the yard and parking nearby is always an issue, although I expect some arrangements may be made to alleviate this. The yard has been used before as an overflow car park but whether this will be available this time I’m not sure. The church is a normal parish church so just like Richard’s funeral I expect there will be as many outside as in.

achurchnearyou.com/hardwicke-st-nicholas/

A true pioneer in terms of transportation towards the Middle East and North Africa. A common sight on
our continental roads also! R.I.P. Mr. Eric Vick

Note: is there a picture of Eric Vick in his active life as haulier?

Just a reminder for anyone wishing to attend. The lane is narrow, parking may be an issue but I expect arrangements have been made. The weather forecast is favourable so it should be dry for those outside.

Eric was given a good send off in a packed church. The pallbearers were mainly current and ex drivers including Middle East & North African veterans, with many more in the congregation. I did wonder how many million miles were under that roof but gave up when I got toward 20.
The eulogy was given by Andrew Downton and was perfectly pitched to reflect Eric as a family and business man. I half expected to hear Eric from the rafters telling him to “Get on with it!”
Afterwards we all assembled at the Whitminster Inn were a few more million miles were driven. There was very much a sense of the end of an era and probably the last time so many of ‘his boys’ would be under the same roof.

They don’t make em like that any more.

img506.jpg

Thank you Ted for your heartwarming/sincere contribution and accompanying picture. Take care, A-J

zzarbean:
Eric was given a good send off in a packed church. The pallbearers were mainly current and ex drivers including Middle East & North African veterans, with many more in the congregation. I did wonder how many million miles were under that roof but gave up when I got toward 20.
The eulogy was given by Andrew Downton and was perfectly pitched to reflect Eric as a family and business man. I half expected to hear Eric from the rafters telling him to “Get on with it!”
Afterwards we all assembled at the Whitminster Inn were a few more million miles were driven. There was very much a sense of the end of an era and probably the last time so many of ‘his boys’ would be under the same roof.

A great send off for a great man.

Thanks, Ted. That photo’s brilliant.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Thanks, Ted. That photo’s brilliant.

‘Borrowed’ from the Order of Service :wink:

H143500:

zzarbean:

A great send off for a great man.

Now we can see where Downtons colours came from - probably Andy Downton father borrowed some paint from Eric Vic
Andy awfull colour and looks aged - get a smart modern livery - like Stobbarts !!! Oh I should wash my mouth out Dad
Pets at Home good example especially on the Renaults
Regards
Son